What can fix the defense?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: What can fix the defense?

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:53 pm

6 sacks for -21 yards
1 interception

http://www.bigskyconf.com/custompages/f ... m#team.def

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:53 pm

You know what could fix the defense?.....

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:56 pm

John K wrote:This has already been mentioned, but I think it deserves greater attention. If the defense is going to give up tons of points and yards, then we at least need to start forcing some turnovers. That's never really been a strength of Ash/Marchall's defenses, but it's particularly glaring so far this season. I believe we've forced only 3 turnovers so far in 4 games, and 2 of those were against FL, so that's only 1 in 3 D-I games. Fortunately, we've also protected the ball pretty well ourselves so far, so the TO differential is probably about even. But still, if we're not going to get stops in the conventional manner, then it sure would help if we could get some stops via turnovers. I thought changing to a more aggressive approach, and playing more man to man n the secondary, would lead to some additional opportunities for picks, but we've had only 1 INT all season...none in 3 D-I games. Plus, I believe we've had only 1 sack all season.
That's pretty much it right there, in a nutshell. This D is every which way of bad. Not only do we let teams score at will, we hardly make them work to do it. The whole concept of a bend-don't-break defense is to allow yards between the 20's, but to shore up in the red zone. Well, when we've had teams pinned deep in their own end, we've allowed 90+ yard drives (see: end of 1st half against NAU), and I can't remember one red zone stop - or even a hold to a FG - outside of the one at the end of the game against EWU. Wasn't it just 3 short seasons ago we didn't allow a rushing TD until like the second-to-last week of the season? Boy, a lot has changed since then.

GO CATS GO!!!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:10 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
John K wrote:This has already been mentioned, but I think it deserves greater attention. If the defense is going to give up tons of points and yards, then we at least need to start forcing some turnovers. That's never really been a strength of Ash/Marchall's defenses, but it's particularly glaring so far this season. I believe we've forced only 3 turnovers so far in 4 games, and 2 of those were against FL, so that's only 1 in 3 D-I games. Fortunately, we've also protected the ball pretty well ourselves so far, so the TO differential is probably about even. But still, if we're not going to get stops in the conventional manner, then it sure would help if we could get some stops via turnovers. I thought changing to a more aggressive approach, and playing more man to man n the secondary, would lead to some additional opportunities for picks, but we've had only 1 INT all season...none in 3 D-I games. Plus, I believe we've had only 1 sack all season.
wow. I knew it was bad but those numbers are pretty amazing actually. :(
Six sacks total, including three against Fort Lewis. Connor Thomas had a sack against Eastern Washington. Grant Collins and Tyrone Fa'anono were credited with sacks against NAU. This post previously said four because both NAU sacks came on Case Cookus scrambles. Each were confirmed as sacks today at least on the NAU website. Big Sky website doesn't have official stats from the game up yet.

Mac Bignell's forced fumble recovered by Marcus Tappan is the only takeaway this season against a Division I team. MSU has one interception, by Bryce Alley against Fort Lewis.

Montana State has 11 pass breakups this season, five of which came against a Cal Poly team that can't throw the ball. MSU did not touch a pass against EWU. On Saturday, Tre'Von Strong and Bryson Keeton each had pass breakups against Northern Arizona.

Montana State is dead last in the FCS in pass efficiency defense at 212.5, 12.5 worse than Northwestern State and 50 points worse than No. 121 Prairie View A&M. Montana State has only faced 81 passes (partly because of playing Cal Poly) but also partly because the passes go for so many yards. The Bobcats have allowed 56 completions, including 15 (27 percent) to go for more than 29 yards. Montana State has allowed 15 passing touchdowns on 81 pass attempts. That's hard to believe.

Of the 21 touchdown drives MSU has allowed, just six have gone for more than 6 plays, including three by Cal Poly. EWU did not have a drive of more than 5 plays and NAU had just 3, two for 86 and 92 yards respectively, on Saturday.
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:31 pm

By my math, what Colter is saying, every 4.5 passes is going to score a touchdown. Absolutely freaking embarrassing!! :evil:

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:40 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Four sacks total, including three against Fort Lewis. Connor Thomas had a sack against Eastern Washington.

Mac Bignell's forced fumble recovered by Marcus Tappan is the only takeaway this season against a Division I team. MSU has one interception, by Bryce Alley against Fort Lewis.

Montana State has 11 pass breakups this season, five of which came against a Cal Poly team that can't throw the ball. MSU did not touch a pass against EWU. On Saturday, Tre'Von Strong and Bryson Keeton each had pass breakups against Northern Arizona.

Montana State is dead last in the FCS in pass efficiency defense at 212.5, 12.5 worse than Northwestern State and 50 points worse than No. 121 Prairie View A&M. Montana State has only faced 81 passes (partly because of playing Cal Poly) but also partly because the passes go for so many yards. The Bobcats have allowed 56 completions, including 15 (27 percent) to go for more than 29 yards. Montana State has allowed 15 passing touchdowns on 81 pass attempts. That's hard to believe.

Of the 21 touchdown drives MSU has allowed, just six have gone for more than 6 plays, including three by Cal Poly. EWU did not have a drive of more than 5 plays and NAU had just 3, two for 86 and 92 yards respectively, on Saturday.
Thanks for the correction. I intended to say just one sack in the three D-I games. In attempting to make my point, I was pretty much discarding the FL stats, and focusing on the three D-I games only.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:42 pm

Darn! Last year when I was watching the swinging gate or whatever that was on extra points and the offense and defense I thought I was watching a coed flag football game...this year it looks more like touch football...

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:43 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Four sacks total, including three against Fort Lewis. Connor Thomas had a sack against Eastern Washington.

wow. that is un-effing-believable! :shock:

thanks colter. I guess... :(

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:57 pm

With stats like these our defense should never get gassed, so I guess that's one good thing. :oops: :shrug:

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Six sacks total, including three against Fort Lewis. Connor Thomas had a sack against Eastern Washington. Grant Collins and Tyrone Fa'anono were credited with sacks against NAU. This post previously said four because both NAU sacks came on Case Cookus scrambles. Each were confirmed as sacks today at least on the NAU website. Big Sky website doesn't have official stats from the game up yet.

the BSC stats are up now.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:15 pm

I'm watching the NAU-MSU game over right now. Just like the EWU game, the quarterback simply gets the snap and instantly throws the ball deep down the sideline. No reads, no chance for any sort of pass rush, just get the snap and throw it up. Both teams run exactly what Idaho State thrived with last year: Calling pass-run option plays, faking the handoff, getting the safeties to bite and throwing it up all in the span of about 2 seconds. No help over the top. Just jump balls to 6-foot-3 receivers that are completed almost without fail.

I'm in the first quarter. Northern Arizona just scored their second touchdown on a fade down the sideline from Case Cookus to Dejzon Walker. Cookus gave a quick fake, Des Carter triggered, Cookus lobbed one up to a 6-foot-3 former tight end, touchdown.

Side note: Montana State was smashing early on in the run game. I just watched both of Newell's long runs at the end of the first and first play of the second quarter. MSU's second TD drive featured a crushing block on a pull by Dylan Mahoney on a power play that he just levels NAU safety Eddie Horn on. Austin Barth has a few great blocks and Newell has a good block on Prukop's touchdown run. That aspect faded as the game progressed, partly because MSU fell behind and didn't run as much but also partly maybe due to the elevation? Both sides of the ball look fatigued.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:22 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I'm watching the NAU-MSU game over right now. Just like the EWU game, the quarterback simply gets the snap and instantly throws the ball deep down the sideline. No reads, no chance for any sort of pass rush, just get the snap and throw it up. Both teams run exactly what Idaho State thrived with last year: Calling pass-run option plays, faking the handoff, getting the safeties to bite and throwing it up all in the span of about 2 seconds. No help over the top. Just jump balls to 6-foot-3 receivers that are completed almost without fail.

I'm in the first quarter. Northern Arizona just scored their second touchdown on a fade down the sideline from Case Cookus to Dejzon Walker. Cookus gave a quick fake, Des Carter triggered, Cookus lobbed one up to a 6-foot-3 former tight end, touchdown.

Side note: Montana State was smashing early on in the run game. I just watched both of Newell's long runs at the end of the first and first play of the second quarter. MSU's second TD drive featured a crushing block on a pull by Dylan Mahoney on a power play that he just levels NAU safety Eddie Horn on. Austin Barth has a few great blocks and Newell has a good block on Prukop's touchdown run. That aspect faded as the game progressed, partly because MSU fell behind and didn't run as much but also partly maybe due to the elevation? Both sides of the ball look fatigued.
Personally Colter, I thought the offense should have kept the run game going when they got the ball back tied at 14-14. We went away from Chad a little early in my opinion and started to get too cute in the pass game. Big block by Mahoney on that play. I'm very impressed with Dylan so far this season. Has really started to come into his own.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

That last paragraph is also hard to believe. It's stunning how easily other teams are able to score against us. If you want to go back to the final game of last season, only one of SDSU's six TD "drives" consisted of more than 3 plays. Cookus and West are good QB's, but their numbers against us were literally "off the charts". They were a combined 39-48, for 654 yards, with 10 TD's and no INT. That's a completion percentage of 81%, and 13.6 yards per attempt. Consider also that both EWU and NAU had abysmal rushing stats before playing us, but combined for 509 yards on 75 attempts. That's 254.5 yards per game, and 6.8 yards per carry. For those of us who thought the D couldn't possibly be any worse than last year...it just goes to show how wrong you can be. It's actually sort of difficult to even wrap your head around how bad it's been so far this season. The deeper you dig into the stats, the worse it looks. At this point, it's sort of become like beating a dead horse.

On a positive note though, in looking at our schedule, I think we still have a good chance at winning 5 of the next 6, going into Cat-Griz. The obvious question is whether or not the D can improve significantly during the balance of the season, or whether it "is what it is". At this point, I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that, including the coaches. I know that they'll work hard to try to fix it, but I just don't know if it's fixable. This must be excruciating for someone like Ioane, who played on such great defenses during his career. I didn't expect him to just waive a magic wand and magically fix all the deficiencies that we displayed last season, but I thought we'd see at least some incremental improvement this year.
Last edited by John K on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:30 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:I'm watching the NAU-MSU game over right now. Just like the EWU game, the quarterback simply gets the snap and instantly throws the ball deep down the sideline. No reads, no chance for any sort of pass rush, just get the snap and throw it up. Both teams run exactly what Idaho State thrived with last year: Calling pass-run option plays, faking the handoff, getting the safeties to bite and throwing it up all in the span of about 2 seconds. No help over the top. Just jump balls to 6-foot-3 receivers that are completed almost without fail.

Personally Colter, I thought the offense should have kept the run game going when they got the ball back tied at 14-14. We went away from Chad a little early in my opinion and started to get too cute in the pass game. Big block by Mahoney on that play. I'm very impressed with Dylan so far this season. Has really started to come into his own.
I agree. keep giving chad the rock. the kid is a stud. we left him too early in my opinion. but hey...we made up for it by running a ton in the 4th quarter down by 3 scores! :lol:

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:33 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I agree. keep giving chad the rock. the kid is a stud. we left him too early in my opinion. but hey...we made up for it by running a ton in the 4th quarter down by 3 scores! :lol:
Hey by running it in the fourth quarter opened up Paige deep a few times. Just sayin.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:39 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Hey by running it in the fourth quarter opened up Paige deep a few times. Just sayin.
I'd never suggest abandoning the run all together simply because we're down. I understand you can't become one-dimensional. but it was weird to see us going away from the run a little in the 2nd and 3rd only to run a ton of dives and draws late in the 4th when I felt we needed to open it up a little.

oh well. like every game I can't say we lost this one because of the offense. :wink:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:49 pm

yuck.

in your opinion colter what is it going to take for this unit to turn it around? I can't imagine they are completely hopeless as some are thinking. I mean, many of us knew this would be the weak link. based on your knowledge of this team and the coaches what do you expect going forward?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:04 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Yes, that's very true. But we just ate up way too much clock on that first 4th quarter drive. We got the ball with 11 minutes left, and that drive took five. That would have been fine if we'd been down only two scores, but not when we're down by four scores. Don't get me wrong...I don't think you need to throw it on every down in that situation. It's fine to mix in a few runs to keep the D honest, but we ran the ball a lot on that drive. Plus, as has already been noted, we should have bee getting the ball snapped a little quicker. We ran 18 plays on those final three drives. If we could have shaved even 5-7 seconds off of every one of them, that would have given us another 1:30-2:00, and we might not have had to burn our time outs on the last defensive series, and could have saved them for a potential final offensive possession. Or even if we did use them on defense, getting the ball back with 3:00-3:30 left and no timeouts, would have been a lot different than 1:30 and no timeouts.

33MONTEBOSTON33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 33MONTEBOSTON33 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:08 pm

Seeing that our run game is average or less and Dakota gets what he gets mostly on his own, why not take a couple of big boys from the offensive line, move them over to defense. Then move Sheridan to end and all the new DT's need to learn is how to kick ass and rush the pass. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM not a bad idea.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:21 pm

33MONTEBOSTON33 wrote:Seeing that our run game is average or less and Dakota gets what he gets mostly on his own, why not take a couple of big boys from the offensive line, move them over to defense. Then move Sheridan to end and all the new DT's need to learn is how to kick ass and rush the pass. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM not a bad idea.
Our run game isn't average or less. Anything over 4 yards a carry is a successful run in my book. We were beating NAU with Chad early and often. Chad's first half running the ball carry by carry:

1 yd
1 yd (touchdown)
4 yds
21 yds
24 yds
3 yds
3 yds
5 yds
5 yds

That is 9 carries for 67 yards at 7.5 yards per carry at halftime. What an average run game. And then on the next drive after halftime when we failed on 4th down, he had a run of seven. So there I just gave you proof of non-Dakota Prukop running success when the game was still in reach.