What can fix the defense?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: What can fix the defense?

Post by John K » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:58 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:I'm watching the NAU-MSU game over right now. Just like the EWU game, the quarterback simply gets the snap and instantly throws the ball deep down the sideline. No reads, no chance for any sort of pass rush, just get the snap and throw it up. Both teams run exactly what Idaho State thrived with last year: Calling pass-run option plays, faking the handoff, getting the safeties to bite and throwing it up all in the span of about 2 seconds. No help over the top. Just jump balls to 6-foot-3 receivers that are completed almost without fail.

I'm in the first quarter. Northern Arizona just scored their second touchdown on a fade down the sideline from Case Cookus to Dejzon Walker. Cookus gave a quick fake, Des Carter triggered, Cookus lobbed one up to a 6-foot-3 former tight end, touchdown.

Side note: Montana State was smashing early on in the run game. I just watched both of Newell's long runs at the end of the first and first play of the second quarter. MSU's second TD drive featured a crushing block on a pull by Dylan Mahoney on a power play that he just levels NAU safety Eddie Horn on. Austin Barth has a few great blocks and Newell has a good block on Prukop's touchdown run. That aspect faded as the game progressed, partly because MSU fell behind and didn't run as much but also partly maybe due to the elevation? Both sides of the ball look fatigued.
I can tell you from personal experience that playing at that elevation is going to take you "OUT" of your normal motor. It is not technically "at elevation" but it is 2000 ft higher than Bozeman at least and the kids will not be able to perform at that level by simple physiological need for O's!!!

You can't coach speak this away...you need to be very very efficient at that elevation to play at your highest level, unless you are on EPO, and then it's game on, or you live at that elevation which they do.

My wife lives at that elevation and when I visit her, I get winded just walking out the jetway. :D
By the same token, shouldn't that work to our advantage at home? Most of the teams we play, are located at significantly lower elevations than Bozeman. Even Missoula is probably almost 2,000 feet lower than Bozeman, and some of the west coast schools are probably not much above sea level. I'm not disputing that what you say is true, but I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be somewhat reluctant to play that card, when we're benefiting from the "altitude advantage" for most of our home games.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:35 am

That's the same thing (relatively) that the Packers do. Rodgers gets the ball out so fast no one can get to him to disrupt the pass. Until the DB's can show they can cover or turn their heads to play the ball, it's going to continue.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:31 pm

I just got back from Arizona and watched the game again. I have a few thoughts:

1. Prukop is f###ing amazing! I thought the offensive line was getting taken to the woodshed with the pressure that NAU was bringing. What I found out was that NAU was blitzing from the second level and the secondary all the time.Prukop was eluding safeties and corners rather than defensive lineman. He was throwing passes 20-30 yards downfield on the money running to his right across his body.

2. NAU made some fantastic catches, but our secondary was also making some plays. Their quarterback never really had to sit in the pocket and look for a receiver. He went back, knew where he wanted to go, and let it fly. There was no time to get a rush.

3. Our linebackers mis-fit about 50% of the running plays. We got more stops when Braun was in there. However, Grant Collins was guilty of just as many misses and misfits as anyone else, and they did pretty well when they were paired up.

4. There were times that players would take a play off, or at least pull up and gear down their pursuit if they got brush blocked or took a bad angle to the ball. I'm wondering if this is a result of how dynamic our offense is. Perhaps they lack some effort because they feel the offense will come back and score.

5. If you listen closely to what Kane says about the fixes needed ......it appears the coaches also saw what I did. We have to disguise our coverages better so we can have a chance for a pass rush. There may be a need for some personnel changes to shore thigs up. I think Tucker Yates is going to play more. So is Trevon Strong. Blake Braun may see more time. Grant Collins has got to start playing smarter, more instinctual. He's guessing out there. He looks inexperienced. Rather than diagnosing a play from watching film and knowing his fit, he's jumping at 'shiny objects' like a fish going for a lure!

I believe it when Coach Ioane says that this is all fixable and the cure is experience. It just depends how fast this experience comes. If we have to wait until after the East Tennessee game, then we are screwed.

2024 Resume dominance

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Shouldn't Prukop and receivers be reading corner and safty blitzes and delivering a quick dump to the appropriate receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Helcat72 wrote:I just got back from Arizona and watched the game again. I have a few thoughts:

1. Prukop is f###ing amazing! I thought the offensive line was getting taken to the woodshed with the pressure that NAU was bringing. What I found out was that NAU was blitzing from the second level and the secondary all the time.Prukop was eluding safeties and corners rather than defensive lineman. He was throwing passes 20-30 yards downfield on the money running to his right across his body.

2. NAU made some fantastic catches, but our secondary was also making some plays. Their quarterback never really had to sit in the pocket and look for a receiver. He went back, knew where he wanted to go, and let it fly. There was no time to get a rush.

3. Our linebackers mis-fit about 50% of the running plays. We got more stops when Braun was in there. However, Grant Collins was guilty of just as many misses and misfits as anyone else, and they did pretty well when they were paired up.

4. There were times that players would take a play off, or at least pull up and gear down their pursuit if they got brush blocked or took a bad angle to the ball. I'm wondering if this is a result of how dynamic our offense is. Perhaps they lack some effort because they feel the offense will come back and score.

5. If you listen closely to what Kane says about the fixes needed ......it appears the coaches also saw what I did. We have to disguise our coverages better so we can have a chance for a pass rush. There may be a need for some personnel changes to shore thigs up. I think Tucker Yates is going to play more. So is Trevon Strong. Blake Braun may see more time. Grant Collins has got to start playing smarter, more instinctual. He's guessing out there. He looks inexperienced. Rather than diagnosing a play from watching film and knowing his fit, he's jumping at 'shiny objects' like a fish going for a lure!

I believe it when Coach Ioane says that this is all fixable and the cure is experience. It just depends how fast this experience comes. If we have to wait until after the East Tennessee game, then we are screwed.
That was one of my main takeaways from watching the film again. He was insane!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:25 pm

Helcat72 wrote:I just got back from Arizona and watched the game again. I have a few thoughts:

Good Post.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:10 pm

I would love to see Colter post something positive about the D from practice this week.

Good post HelCat. You're right Collins needs to figure it out. He does some really good stuff, but then really screws up.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:25 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:I would love to see Colter post something positive about the D from practice this week.

Good post HelCat. You're right Collins needs to figure it out. He does some really good stuff, but then really screws up.
...Because he is a redshirt freshman. Kid needs a break in my opinion. Start Braun a few games and work Grant back into the rotation that way.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:12 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:I would love to see Colter post something positive about the D from practice this week.

...Because he is a redshirt freshman. Kid needs a break in my opinion. Start Braun a few games and work Grant back into the rotation that way.
agreed, he's really young and it shows that he's never played against competition this stiff, but he'll figure it out.

One thing in the film that stuck out to me was while watching the safeties, King to be exact. He would come up to the line to play man, and as soon as the ball was hiked his attention was glued on his man leaving a huge hole for the RB to run through. if he would have played 5 yards off the slot receiver and watch the QB as the play start he would have read run right away. Awareness seems to me a huge factor for our D right now. At the NAU game no one had their head in that game. I think our problems are very fixable, but will require time.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:30 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

agreed, he's really young and it shows that he's never played against competition this stiff, but he'll figure it out.

One thing in the film that stuck out to me was while watching the safeties, King to be exact. He would come up to the line to play man, and as soon as the ball was hiked his attention was glued on his man leaving a huge hole for the RB to run through. if he would have played 5 yards off the slot receiver and watch the QB as the play start he would have read run right away. Awareness seems to me a huge factor for our D right now. At the NAU game no one had their head in that game. I think our problems are very fixable, but will require time.
Sounds like a perfect recipe to get burned on a trick play where they hand off, then lateral the bal back and bomb it. We've done it this year and seen it done against us... and it's not really even a "trick" play any more.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Why would you pull Grant, the second leading tackler with 16 solos, 28 total, 2 .5 tfl and 1 sack with Blake with 6 solos 10 total, 0 tfl and 0 sacks? (If you want Grant more focused let someone else relay the defensive signals and getting everyone else set and just let him concentrate on tackling!!!)

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:36 pm

desmond1957 wrote:Why would you pull Grant, the second leading tackler with 16 solos, 28 total, 2 .5 tfl and 1 sack with Blake with 6 solos 10 total, 0 tfl and 0 sacks? (If you want Grant more focused let someone else relay the defensive signals and getting everyone else set and just let him concentrate on tackling!!!)
I am not sure replacing Grant is the right call but their stats are not a real good indicator of effectiveness. Number one, Grant has played more snaps than Blake. He should have better statistics. Number two, the stats don't tell us how many missed tackles or missed assignments they have. We can't just look at the stats.

I like how Grant plays but he has to make sure he is covering his assignments. If you leave a big hole because you misread a play, it could go for big yards. Blake seems much more conservative but he does not attack like Grant. Grant will meet a runner at the line of scrimmage but Blake will meet the runner 4 yards off the line of scrimmage because he is waiting for the runner to come to him. Hence no tackles for loss. Both of these guys are super talented but I would stay with Grant right now. Our defense seems much more aggressive and disruptive with him in. I am not sure how they review film, but I expect the coaches are working on these things.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:48 pm

One of the plays that made the most yardage on the ground against us was when Cookus would get the snap and hold the ball out to his side for a split second like a back was going to take it into the hole, then he would reverse pivot and the back would take it into another hole after making an influence step toward the first hole. The linebackers bit on the move more than once.

2024 Resume dominance

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:24 pm

catatac wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Sounds like a perfect recipe to get burned on a trick play where they hand off, then lateral the bal back and bomb it. We've done it this year and seen it done against us... and it's not really even a "trick" play any more.
If you bring the safeties up to man up on the receiver at the line, you don't need trick plays, you do what NAU did on their first drive and throw deep and hope your receiver out runs the coverage.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:21 pm

John K wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:I'm watching the NAU-MSU game over right now. Just like the EWU game, the quarterback simply gets the snap and instantly throws the ball deep down the sideline. No reads, no chance for any sort of pass rush, just get the snap and throw it up. Both teams run exactly what Idaho State thrived with last year: Calling pass-run option plays, faking the handoff, getting the safeties to bite and throwing it up all in the span of about 2 seconds. No help over the top. Just jump balls to 6-foot-3 receivers that are completed almost without fail.

I'm in the first quarter. Northern Arizona just scored their second touchdown on a fade down the sideline from Case Cookus to Dejzon Walker. Cookus gave a quick fake, Des Carter triggered, Cookus lobbed one up to a 6-foot-3 former tight end, touchdown.

Side note: Montana State was smashing early on in the run game. I just watched both of Newell's long runs at the end of the first and first play of the second quarter. MSU's second TD drive featured a crushing block on a pull by Dylan Mahoney on a power play that he just levels NAU safety Eddie Horn on. Austin Barth has a few great blocks and Newell has a good block on Prukop's touchdown run. That aspect faded as the game progressed, partly because MSU fell behind and didn't run as much but also partly maybe due to the elevation? Both sides of the ball look fatigued.
I can tell you from personal experience that playing at that elevation is going to take you "OUT" of your normal motor. It is not technically "at elevation" but it is 2000 ft higher than Bozeman at least and the kids will not be able to perform at that level by simple physiological need for O's!!!

You can't coach speak this away...you need to be very very efficient at that elevation to play at your highest level, unless you are on EPO, and then it's game on, or you live at that elevation which they do.

My wife lives at that elevation and when I visit her, I get winded just walking out the jetway. :D
By the same token, shouldn't that work to our advantage at home? Most of the teams we play, are located at significantly lower elevations than Bozeman. Even Missoula is probably almost 2,000 feet lower than Bozeman, and some of the west coast schools are probably not much above sea level. I'm not disputing that what you say is true, but I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be somewhat reluctant to play that card, when we're benefiting from the "altitude advantage" for most of our home games.
I haven't checked the Cats stats for home games, but this was a shocker: NAU has only lost 2x at home in the last 2 seasons-last season they lost their big rivalry game to SUU, and in 2014, they lost a playoff game to SDSU. Last year they beat EWU (at home, of course) but inexplicably lost road games to horrible South Dakota and North Dakota teams.

In 2013, they crushed a solid griz team in Flagstaff, then turned around and lost a similarly lopsided game in Bozeman the next week. Total since the start of 2013: 12-2 at home, 7-8 on the road.

Wow-just wow.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:30 pm

One of the peaks I hiked to this year was 7200 feet. Believe it, that 2500' makes a difference.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:59 pm

I'm glad some of this is getting posted. NAU hardly ever loses at home. That place is messed up and can't stand it when we play there.

Buckets1234
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Buckets1234 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:29 pm

Cataholic wrote:
desmond1957 wrote:Why would you pull Grant, the second leading tackler with 16 solos, 28 total, 2 .5 tfl and 1 sack with Blake with 6 solos 10 total, 0 tfl and 0 sacks? (If you want Grant more focused let someone else relay the defensive signals and getting everyone else set and just let him concentrate on tackling!!!)
I am not sure replacing Grant is the right call but their stats are not a real good indicator of effectiveness. Number one, Grant has played more snaps than Blake. He should have better statistics. Number two, the stats don't tell us how many missed tackles or missed assignments they have. We can't just look at the stats.

I like how Grant plays but he has to make sure he is covering his assignments. If you leave a big hole because you misread a play, it could go for big yards. Blake seems much more conservative but he does not attack like Grant. Grant will meet a runner at the line of scrimmage but Blake will meet the runner 4 yards off the line of scrimmage because he is waiting for the runner to come to him. Hence no tackles for loss. Both of these guys are super talented but I would stay with Grant right now. Our defense seems much more aggressive and disruptive with him in. I am not sure how they review film, but I expect the coaches are working on these things.
I think we could see them on the field together at some point.

By the way, NAU does have a crazy home field advantage that their record bears out. The altitude might play a little bit of a factor, but that place has a way of lulling you to sleep in person too. They are 4-0 at home against MSU, UM, EWU, and Cal Poly the last time they played each of those teams in Flagstaff. There might actually be more of a home field advantage at a place like NAU, or Villanova, or New Hampshire. Teams get excited to play at UM and MSU, and while there might be external factors that actually make it tougher (like crowd noise), it's hard to come out flat in that type of atmosphere when you play at the FCS level and those games are bigger (and different) than any other games you'll play. Nevertheless, no one would ever trade the environment here or in Missoula, but it at least warrants some thought about what it's like traveling to NAU.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:32 am

John K wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Yes! That is one of the reasons for our home field advantage. Some teams are not ready for less O's and there is nothing you can do about it but play very efficiently.

My point is simple: You can't know what it will be like at 7200ft until you are there. But, you can know that you will not be able to sustain the highest level you'd like physiologically...particularly later in the game, so you have to make the most of each opportunity to capitalize when you can. If you hope you can "stick around until the end" and be close (coach speak), you'll likely lose.

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:53 am

Interesting article...I know, pretty obvious. I believe Kane acknowledged as much in his post NAU article written by Colter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawk ... on-defense

"You’re not going to gamble in this defense and not be held accountable," said cornerback Richard Sherman, who is considered to have a master's degree in the step-kick. "You’re not just going to keep giving up big plays and stay on the field. If you give up a certain amount of big plays, you give up a certain amount of touchdowns, they’ll find somebody who won’t."

Added Carroll: "In our defensive scheme, we are extraordinarily tied to that principle. If you give up long touchdown plays, you’re not a very good defense. It doesn’t matter what you do or how hard you hit or whatever. So it all begins there. That’s the first aspect of playing defense. You can’t give up easy plays. So it just begins there."
----------------------------------------------

I feel like the coverage was good on the deep passes this past weekend, the players just didn't make the play on the ball. That and the passes were perfectly thrown. I would contend with Ash's comments on the Bobcat Sports Report about how they moved the safeties back to help on those and then NAU gashed them in the run game. My contention is not with the outcome because that obviously happened. My contention is with the act of doing that. One has to recognize that a QB isn't going to make those kind of throws consistently nor is a WR going to make those catches. If you have to choose what to stop on 1st and 2nd downs, it's my opinion that you must always put your safeties in the position to stop the run. So far this year my biggest issues with the defense have nothing to do with corner play.

My Biggest Issues in order:
1.) Hutchins should not be on the field for 1st or 2nd down. Get's pushed around.
2.) Safety play is horrid. It's like we are playing with 9 people.
3.) If QBs are throwing ball at the back end of 3 step drop every time, you have to change/hide coverages.

If not this year?.........When?