What can fix the defense?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: What can fix the defense?

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:26 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
33MONTEBOSTON33 wrote:Seeing that our run game is average or less and Dakota gets what he gets mostly on his own, why not take a couple of big boys from the offensive line, move them over to defense. Then move Sheridan to end and all the new DT's need to learn is how to kick ass and rush the pass. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM not a bad idea.
Our run game isn't average or less. Anything over 4 yards a carry is a successful run in my book. We were beating NAU with Chad early and often. Chad's first half running the ball carry by carry:

1 yd
1 yd (touchdown)
4 yds
21 yds
24 yds
3 yds
3 yds
5 yds
5 yds

That is 9 carries for 67 yards at 7.5 yards per carry at halftime. What an average run game. And then on the next drive after halftime when we failed on 4th down, he had a run of seven. So there I just gave you proof of non-Dakota Prukop running success when the game was still in reach.
Actually, taking out Dakota's stats, we are still averaging 5 yards per carry as a team. Again, that is a very good yard per carry average.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

33MONTEBOSTON33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 33MONTEBOSTON33 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Hey Vin Sim: You missed the whole point. The run game is not the issue.....Defense is.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:47 pm

33MONTEBOSTON33 wrote:Hey Vin Sim: You missed the whole point. The run game is not the issue.....Defense is.
Didn't pick up the sarcasm...my bad Monte #-o

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:04 am

Okay I give up. I'll tell you how to fix the D now. Just wanted to watch you suffer for a few days. I'm a tad sadistic that way. Plus I like to laugh at all the corny fixes people come up with. Moving Sandland to DE. Moving Collins to DE. Sheridan to DE? Yes, that could work, but i digress.

We have a bunch of dudes who are good players, but who haven't played a lot of games together. So the first thing they've needed is some games to evaluate where they're at. They got a crash course on that. The second thing they need, which is the current thing, is to appreciate the lessons they got. Yeah, it sucked, but man-o-man did they get an education and the best part is it's all on tape. They can now evaluate it and begin working on all the things they're behind on. Thirdly, they need to get to work, take advantage of the experience, and not dwell on the losses. Step Four is stay focused on the next opponent and regardless of how well they do, don't let it go to your head, which was one lesson they got last week.

So let's pull up our jock straps and hang this post on our lockers. It's as easy as 1-2-3...4. \:D/

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:09 am

And if you think we're bad defensively go take a look at the ISU Poly game. They gave 499 up rushing and poly was without Protheroe. ISU had no sacks, no tfl, no QBH, no int, no fumbles.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:41 am

Nice flip flop [] . You've gone from nothing can fix the D to now you have all the answers to fix the D. Once again you've shown yourself to be a big tool but that should surprise no one.
Maybe we could have a beer together at this weeks game I'll be the gray haired grandpa with a couple grand kids in my arms cheering on the Cats. I'll know it's you when I see that guy carrying the sign that on one side says "the season is over" and on the other " I'm the bracket and I can fix it ". I'll understand if you choose not to carry the sign and instead continue to pose as the fan of the year. flip flop [] flip flop

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:33 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:Nice flip flop [] . You've gone from nothing can fix the D to now you have all the answers to fix the D. Once again you've shown yourself to be a big tool but that should surprise no one.
Maybe we could have a beer together at this weeks game I'll be the gray haired grandpa with a couple grand kids in my arms cheering on the Cats. I'll know it's you when I see that guy carrying the sign that on one side says "the season is over" and on the other " I'm the bracket and I can fix it ". I'll understand if you choose not to carry the sign and instead continue to pose as the fan of the year. flip flop [] flip flop
Yeah, since I'm running for office I shouldn't flip flop. Oh wait...

Caboose
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caboose » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Colter just tweeted out this

"Currently watching Montana State's scout team offense slice and dice the MSU secondary. Cam Sutton just burned DeMonte King for 40-yard TD."

Improvement sounds promising...

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:27 pm

Caboose wrote:Colter just tweeted out this

"Currently watching Montana State's scout team offense slice and dice the MSU secondary. Cam Sutton just burned DeMonte King for 40-yard TD."

Or maybe Cam Sutton is just really talented. (No sarcasm. I was excited that we got him.)

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I'm watching the NAU-MSU game over right now. Just like the EWU game, the quarterback simply gets the snap and instantly throws the ball deep down the sideline. No reads, no chance for any sort of pass rush, just get the snap and throw it up. Both teams run exactly what Idaho State thrived with last year: Calling pass-run option plays, faking the handoff, getting the safeties to bite and throwing it up all in the span of about 2 seconds. No help over the top. Just jump balls to 6-foot-3 receivers that are completed almost without fail.

I'm in the first quarter. Northern Arizona just scored their second touchdown on a fade down the sideline from Case Cookus to Dejzon Walker. Cookus gave a quick fake, Des Carter triggered, Cookus lobbed one up to a 6-foot-3 former tight end, touchdown.

Side note: Montana State was smashing early on in the run game. I just watched both of Newell's long runs at the end of the first and first play of the second quarter. MSU's second TD drive featured a crushing block on a pull by Dylan Mahoney on a power play that he just levels NAU safety Eddie Horn on. Austin Barth has a few great blocks and Newell has a good block on Prukop's touchdown run. That aspect faded as the game progressed, partly because MSU fell behind and didn't run as much but also partly maybe due to the elevation? Both sides of the ball look fatigued.
This was my recollection too. I also remember a couple of those throws, the corners being in textbook position. How do the good defenses handle that?

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:05 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

Or maybe Cam Sutton is just really talented. (No sarcasm. I was excited that we got him.)
Well Sutton may be very talented, but Colter said the scout TEAM (plural) offense is slicing and dicing the secondary. Implying that if the scout team can do so can SAC and just about anyone else. Colter isn't always right when he says someone is good, but when he says someone is bad he's always right. Brace yourself for this Saturday.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:44 am

Did Chris Harris redshirt or grayshirt ?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:53 am

Hawks86 wrote:Did Chris Harris redshirt or grayshirt ?
I think both him and Sidney Holmes redshirted. I know Holmes had an injury during fall camp that kept him out of competition but I think Harris was just straight-up redshirted.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:02 am

He's listed on the roster, so he's redshirting...so far.

I'm more interested in if they're giving him a look. Anyone know how Braelen Evans is doing at practice?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:17 am

VimSince03 wrote:
I think both him and Sidney Holmes redshirted. I know Holmes had an injury during fall camp that kept him out of competition but I think Harris was just straight-up redshirted.
Sidney Holmes was diagnosed with something similar to sickle cell and missed fall camp but is now practicing with the scout team. Harris is redshirting and is hurt...he did not practice in any fashion yesterday.
[cat_bracket] wrote:
He's listed on the roster, so he's redshirting...so far.

I'm more interested in if they're giving him a look. Anyone know how Braelen Evans is doing at practice?
Braelen Evans is practicing. He does not look up to full speed yet. His speed is lacking.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:22 am

I know it's a long shot, but how is Stern looking at CB ?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:47 am

How far out is McCabe from getting back?

Never mind. I see he's listed as OUT.
Last edited by [cat_bracket] on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:48 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

Well Sutton may be very talented, but Colter said the scout TEAM (plural) offense is slicing and dicing the secondary. Implying that if the scout team can do so can SAC and just about anyone else. Colter isn't always right when he says someone is good, but when he says someone is bad he's always right. Brace yourself for this Saturday.
Team is a singular noun. The plural of team is teams. A single team is composed of many players, the plural of player. :wink:

Just bustin' your chops bracket.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:16 am

DriscollCat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

Team is a singular noun. The plural of team is teams. A single team is composed of many players, the plural of player. :wink:

Just bustin' your chops bracket.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. :lol:

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:34 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I'm watching the NAU-MSU game over right now. Just like the EWU game, the quarterback simply gets the snap and instantly throws the ball deep down the sideline. No reads, no chance for any sort of pass rush, just get the snap and throw it up. Both teams run exactly what Idaho State thrived with last year: Calling pass-run option plays, faking the handoff, getting the safeties to bite and throwing it up all in the span of about 2 seconds. No help over the top. Just jump balls to 6-foot-3 receivers that are completed almost without fail.

I'm in the first quarter. Northern Arizona just scored their second touchdown on a fade down the sideline from Case Cookus to Dejzon Walker. Cookus gave a quick fake, Des Carter triggered, Cookus lobbed one up to a 6-foot-3 former tight end, touchdown.

Side note: Montana State was smashing early on in the run game. I just watched both of Newell's long runs at the end of the first and first play of the second quarter. MSU's second TD drive featured a crushing block on a pull by Dylan Mahoney on a power play that he just levels NAU safety Eddie Horn on. Austin Barth has a few great blocks and Newell has a good block on Prukop's touchdown run. That aspect faded as the game progressed, partly because MSU fell behind and didn't run as much but also partly maybe due to the elevation? Both sides of the ball look fatigued.
I can tell you from personal experience that playing at that elevation is going to take you "OUT" of your normal motor. It is not technically "at elevation" but it is 2000 ft higher than Bozeman at least and the kids will not be able to perform at that level by simple physiological need for O's!!!

You can't coach speak this away...you need to be very very efficient at that elevation to play at your highest level, unless you are on EPO, and then it's game on, or you live at that elevation which they do.

My wife lives at that elevation and when I visit her, I get winded just walking out the jetway. :D