What can fix the defense?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

What can fix the defense?

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:03 pm

What needs to be done with current players to fix this defense. I know we are young and have a lot of transfers and drop downs and new coordinator in Iaone. But, it is not working. We do have more depth but still can't seem to get pressure on the qb. It is totally frustrating. We put up 41 points tonight and that should be enough to win. Iam keeping the faith and expecting we right the ship and run the tab!e. Is that too much to expect?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: What can fix the defense?

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Football is won or lost in the trenches.

This game was lost last Sunday when Ash et al decided that the defensive lineup would revert back to what wasn't working.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:12 pm

bobcatbob wrote:What needs to be done with current players to fix this defense. I know we are young and have a lot of transfers and drop downs and new coordinator in Iaone. But, it is not working. We do have more depth but still can't seem to get pressure on the qb. It is totally frustrating. We put up 41 points tonight and that should be enough to win. Iam keeping the faith and expecting we right the ship and run the tab!e. Is that too much to expect?
My opinion, and that's all it is, would be that we have to fix our run defense first, and worry about the secondary later. I know the long passes flash on tv, but when we keep making poor to average rushing teams look all world, it makes playing against the pass impossible, which I'm sure everyone on here fully understands. How to fix it? The 3 guys with their hands down can't get dominated at the point like we did today. Sheridan is miscast playing tackle, and he got moved several times to spring those big runs. I'm rambling, maybe because I can't say how to stop the run better, but I think we need to look at personnel, and maybe, since we seem to be leaving our corners by themselves, fully committing the strong safety down on first and second down?

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:20 pm

That's a hell of a start, Goldstone. I'd say that for the majority of games against these spread schemes, we should be playing more of a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, but both schemes need a DT who can take on a double team and shift the numbers our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO CATS GO!!!

You gotta be kitten me
New Recruit

Post by You gotta be kitten me » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:21 pm

First off, our coaching has been sub par at best. Our players individually are some of the best around, but as far as the team goes, they have a tough time working as a single unit. Seems like our weakness in the DBs has been exposed and magnified as teams basically do whatever they want when passing the ball. Frustrating to say the least ](*,)

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:42 pm

No pressure on the QB is the key. You can't play man if they have all day to throw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:43 pm

New coordinator enough said !

kcatz

Post by kcatz » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:48 pm

BozoneCat wrote:That's a hell of a start, Goldstone. I'd say that for the majority of games against these spread schemes, we should be playing more of a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, but both schemes need a DT who can take on a double team and shift the numbers our way.

Thank you.....and we havent had a DT, with presence upfront since Minter.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:59 pm

kcatz wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:That's a hell of a start, Goldstone. I'd say that for the majority of games against these spread schemes, we should be playing more of a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, but both schemes need a DT who can take on a double team and shift the numbers our way.

I like the idea of shifting Yates into the starting lineup, moving Sheridan to DE. It's a start. It's something different, which is at least trying something new instead of stubbornly trying the same thing that hasn't worked for two years. Coaches think Sheridan doesn't have enough speed to be effective against these up-tempo teams, I disagree. He's miscast as a DT. He had to play there last year due to lack of any better options, but this year I think the options are there. He's a better DE. And we need to get more guys with speed in the back end of the field.

On another (related) note, I have to say that I am (yet again) vastly disappointed in our coaches' inability to bring in quality transfers. Giving credit, these guys looked good on paper, but they haven't done jack squat so far. Not sure that's completely all on the players, but they're hardly even playing. That's some pretty piss poor scouting, if you ask me. Disappointing, to say the least.

GO CATS GO!!!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:03 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
kcatz wrote:

I like the idea of shifting Yates into the starting lineup, moving Sheridan to DE. It's a start. It's something different, which is at least trying something new instead of stubbornly trying the same thing that hasn't worked for two years. Coaches think Sheridan doesn't have enough speed to be effective against these up-tempo teams, I disagree. He's miscast as a DT. He had to play there last year due to lack of any better options, but this year I think the options are there. He's a better DE. And we need to get more guys with speed in the back end of the field.

On another (related) note, I have to say that I am (yet again) vastly disappointed in our coaches' inability to bring in quality transfers. Giving credit, these guys looked good on paper, but they haven't done jack squat so far. Not sure that's completely all on the players, but they're hardly even playing. That's some pretty piss poor scouting, if you ask me. Disappointing, to say the least.

It's what we did last week with the lineup. It worked, so clearly it was wrong. :shrug:

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:10 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
kcatz wrote:

Good point with the transfers. I'd expect at least Carter and Tappan to be contributing by now, as they came from FBS.
We absolutely need Clark to be able to pressure the QB. So far, not happening.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:16 pm

91catAlum wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
kcatz wrote:

Good point with the transfers. I'd expect at least Carter and Tappan to be contributing by now, as they came from FBS.
We absolutely need Clark to be able to pressure the QB. So far, not happening.
At least Carter is starting, although he hasn't been near as effective as I'd hoped for. Kind of a bummer Tappan wasn't able to beat out a former walk-on (although credit to F. Collins for earning the nod). Clark hasn't done much, Naotala hasn't done anything. Coaches needed to land a DB (or 3), couldn't manage to get the job done.

GO CATS GO!!!

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:17 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
kcatz wrote:

Hadnt thought much about that, but right you are. LaBoy has hardly played, I think we got a guy named Natola also, have we seen him? Mccabe looked like he could be a contributor, but needs to get healthy. Carter seeems to get caught out of position both in his run fits and when playing over the top in coverage (if you need verification go back and watch the eastern game...ugh). I think you're right, its not all on them, learning both new schemes and a new environment, but they need to contribute more. I do think Clark is going to get there soon, he looks to have the requisite ability, just a matter of him getting up to speed and to his playing weight after a late start this fall.

Catbacker_1
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catbacker_1 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:22 pm

I think a good start would be to get lined up. so many times or defense was still looking to the sidelines when the ball was snapped. Second our linebackers do not attack down, Instead of attacking the ball carrier behind the line they let them come to them which leads to a lot of missed tackles. Lastly but not finally move the safeties back to where they can play center field any maybe get a pick or at least break up the pass since the corners are not going to look for the ball.....EVER!!!

Image.
It’s spelled offense and defense

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:24 pm

It's not that complicated people. Fix the DL, all other problems disappear

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:27 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:It's not that complicated people. Fix the DL, all other problems disappear
I don't know about ALL problems, but it would help a hell of a lot. We are not touching anyone's QB - hell, a Mormon boy at a chaperoned dance touches a girl more than we manage to touch a QB.

GO CATS GO!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:30 pm

I don't know if it can be fixed, but they need to try something. It can't get worse, can it?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:32 pm

I just wish we could get in position pre-snap. That would be a start!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:32 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:It's not that complicated people. Fix the DL, all other problems disappear
I don't know about ALL problems, but it would help a hell of a lot. We are not touching anyone's QB - hell, a Mormon boy at a chaperoned dance touches a girl more than we manage to touch a QB.

Nice Greenism. [emoji41]

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:48 pm

Devine intervention?

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.