Sheridan to DE

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Sheridan to DE

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:04 am

I loved the lineup they sent out there, putting Sheridan at DE, and getting Yates starting in the middle (who looked great!).

Could this be a permanent move? Or was it just temporary for the unique cal poly offense?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sheridan to DE

Post by Cledus » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:25 am

mslacatfan wrote:I loved the lineup they sent out there, putting Sheridan at DE, and getting Yates starting in the middle (who looked great!).

Could this be a permanent move? Or was it just temporary for the unique cal poly offense?
I think this Gazette article answers your question.
Bobcats co-defensive coordinator Kane Ioane and defensive line coach Bo Beck made a few pregame lineup adjustments to combat Protheroe in particular. They started 303-pounder Tucker Yates at nose tackle and shifted Sheridan outside to the end position. They also started 245-pounder Devin Jefferies ahead of the lighter Zach Hutchins at the Bandit position.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:02 am

I know that technically, Sheridan is from Colorado, but he's really from Montana. I thought it was great to see that there were four Montanans starting on the defensive line. I'm not sure if Sheridan was a high school wrestler, but I know that the other three were state placers/winners.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:21 am

I've felt for 2 seasons that Sheridan should move to DE. Trouble is we've been so weak at DT he's had to play inside. Maybe we aren't so weak anymore??

hartofacat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by hartofacat » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:34 am

mslacatfan wrote:I loved the lineup they sent out there, putting Sheridan at DE, and getting Yates starting in the middle (who looked great!).

Sheridan got beat a few times outside, but, overall, he played a really solid game. I can't help but think that having the ability and experience to play inside or outside for him moving forward will be a huge asset.

“I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.”-John Steinbeck

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:07 am

bump-

I posted this after the Cal Poly game. And it has been brought up in a couple different threads again. But this lineup seems to be the only one that has done anything so far this season...

Why not keep it? It can't be any worse than what they put on the field against NAU.....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:30 am

Unfortunately due to injury, Hutchinson just hasn't lived up to expectations. He was out of position often and it showed often on the scoreboard.

My DL would be:

DE Taylor Sheridan
DT Connor Thomas/Nate Bignell
DT Tucker Yates
BANDIT Jesse Clark

My LBs would be:

SSLB Grant Collins
WSLB Marcus Tappan

My DBs would be:

CB Bryson Keeton
CB Alley
CB Zach Stern/(UAB whose name escapes me cuz he hasn't shown much)
SS McCabe
FS Khari Garcia

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:22 am

94VegasCat wrote:Unfortunately due to injury, Hutchinson just hasn't lived up to expectations. He was out of position often and it showed often on the scoreboard.

My DL would be:

DE Taylor Sheridan
DT Connor Thomas/Nate Bignell
DT Tucker Yates
BANDIT Jesse Clark

My LBs would be:

SSLB Grant Collins
WSLB Marcus Tappan

My DBs would be:

CB Bryson Keeton
CB Alley
CB Zach Stern/(UAB whose name escapes me cuz he hasn't shown much)
SS McCabe
FS Khari Garcia
You wouldn't play Mac Bignell?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:31 am

Des Carter (UAB) is a safety not a corner.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:42 am

Yates had more tackles (4) than Thomas and Nate Bignell combined (2).

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:46 am

Move Grant Collins to DE/Bandit. Scuffle the Will & Mike LB's with maybe F. Collins going to the middle. Maybe an extreme thought but considering the circumstances, why not.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:49 am

arvcat2 wrote:Move Grant Collins to DE/Bandit. Scuffle the Will & Mike LB's with maybe F. Collins going to the middle. Maybe an extreme thought but considering the circumstances, why not.
Interesting, but I'd guess Collins has no clue how to play end.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:14 am

TomCat88 wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:Move Grant Collins to DE/Bandit. Scuffle the Will & Mike LB's with maybe F. Collins going to the middle. Maybe an extreme thought but considering the circumstances, why not.
It would be my guess, that the young man who is the "QB" of the defense with outstanding bloodlines, would have more than a clue in how to play end.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:59 am

Ok so call Des Carter a DB instead of a CB. I know he's a Saftey and not a Corner. Call him a freaking Nickel or Dime back, I don't care. We need help at all three levels. Our LBs cannot cover the multiple WR looks from spread option teams.

As for not playing Mac Bignell, he'd get reps in my defense, but if I were to run a 4-2-5, I'd take either Collins kid and Tappan first. In the 4-2-5 you need some size in the middle that can really run and also shed a 300lb OL blocking you. Mac is great but I'd take those others first. Just my opinion.

We need to generate a pass rush. Jesse Clark has the size, speed, and athleticism to be a great Bandit.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:35 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
It would be my guess, that the young man who is the "QB" of the defense with outstanding bloodlines, would have more than a clue in how to play end.
Poorly phrased on my part. How about he probably doesn't have enough of a clue? He's probably also needed in the position he's currently manning.

toM StUber

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:16 pm

94VegasCat wrote:Ok so call Des Carter a DB instead of a CB. I know he's a Saftey and not a Corner. Call him a freaking Nickel or Dime back, I don't care. We need help at all three levels. Our LBs cannot cover the multiple WR looks from spread option teams.

As for not playing Mac Bignell, he'd get reps in my defense, but if I were to run a 4-2-5, I'd take either Collins kid and Tappan first. In the 4-2-5 you need some size in the middle that can really run and also shed a 300lb OL blocking you. Mac is great but I'd take those others first. Just my opinion.

We need to generate a pass rush. Jesse Clark has the size, speed, and athleticism to be a great Bandit.
Mac has been the leading tackler so far this season, plus he has speed and a nose for the ball.

Put Beau Sandland at DE, he has the size, speed and strength to play DE, if anything he would be able to hold his own. Make a 2 way player.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:24 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:Ok so call Des Carter a DB instead of a CB. I know he's a Saftey and not a Corner. Call him a freaking Nickel or Dime back, I don't care. We need help at all three levels. Our LBs cannot cover the multiple WR looks from spread option teams.

Mac has been the leading tackler so far this season, plus he has speed and a nose for the ball.

Put Beau Sandland at DE, he has the size, speed and strength to play DE, if anything he would be able to hold his own. Make a 2 way player
Has Sandland ever played defense? There's a fair amount of technique to playing D-line. Assignments aren't typically as complicated, but hand placement, stride and body position need to be repeated until they're muscle memory. As a TE, Sandland has to decide which route on the tree to run. A DE doesn't have time to make decisions; once he reacts to the snap of the ball he needs to know where every part of his body is going and be right. While that's true for any DE, it's especially true of one who is 6'6". A DE that tall who gets even a little bit high or doesn't get his hands out in front of him fast enough is nothing more than a big target for a 300+ pound tackle to hit.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:53 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:

Put Beau Sandland at DE, he has the size, speed and strength to play DE, if anything he would be able to hold his own. Make a 2 way player
Has Sandland ever played defense? There's a fair amount of technique to playing D-line. Assignments aren't typically as complicated, but hand placement, stride and body position need to be repeated until they're muscle memory. As a TE, Sandland has to decide which route on the tree to run. A DE doesn't have time to make decisions; once he reacts to the snap of the ball he needs to know where every part of his body is going and be right. While that's true for any DE, it's especially true of one who is 6'6". A DE that tall who gets even a little bit high or doesn't get his hands out in front of him fast enough is nothing more than a big target for a 300+ pound tackle to hit.
I was more thinking he would pick it up, just because he is talented. Having the size to hold the edge, like Sheridian in the CP game. I believe we'll be ok, just need someone to step up, Maybe give a true freshmen a shot.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:14 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:

I was more thinking he would pick it up, just because he is talented. Having the size to hold the edge, like Sheridian in the CP game. I believe we'll be ok, just need someone to step up, Maybe give a true freshmen a shot.
Use Mac or either Collins wherever he works. Given how this thread is going, how about DT?

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/4 ... nse-spread

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:54 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:

Sandland has looked good at times and glad he's here but if I have one criticism of him it would be that I don't think he likes to hit or be hit. One pass he caught against NAU he was much bigger than the defender and he slowed up before contact when we needed another 2 or 3 yards to convert. Barth seems like he is a much better blocker IMO. I don't think someone who avoids contact like him would have much usefulness on the defensive side of the ball.