Big sky refs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcatstan
BobcatNation Letterman

Big sky refs

Post by Bobcatstan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:00 pm

What did everyone think of the refs in Missoula? I thought they handled replays well and made no glaring errors. Actually may have been one of the better reffed games I've seen by a bsc crew

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big sky refs

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Overall I thought it was a decent job. The two overturned calls were correctly fixed. The PI in the end zone was a questionable call, as the ball was not catchable. Also they missed Henderson going out of bounds and coming back in for a big catch in the 2nd half.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:30 pm

91catAlum wrote:Overall I thought it was a decent job. The two overturned calls were correctly fixed. The PI in the end zone was a questionable call, as the ball was not catchable. Also they missed Henderson going out of bounds and coming back in for a big catch in the 2nd half.

I missed that PI call. What happened there?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:33 pm

91catAlum wrote:Overall I thought it was a decent job. The two overturned calls were correctly fixed. The PI in the end zone was a questionable call, as the ball was not catchable. Also they missed Henderson going out of bounds and coming back in for a big catch in the 2nd half.

The side judge threw his hat, so it wasn't missed. He must have decided that he was forced out.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:30 pm

The pi in the endzone should have been holding so its a wash. There was one big 3rd or 4th down conversion the griz had that there was a glaring missed holding call on but it ended in a turnover so all in all a decently called game.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:14 am

NDSU 9 penalties.

Griz 4 penalties.

Knowing this, the refs seemed to do a decent job from just watching the game. If there was a bit of Big Sky home cooking, it wasn't obvious. The Griz looked great on offense and exploited the two true freshmen playing for NDSU in the secondary. Jones and Henderson are FBS WRs. If their o-line holds up, their offense should finally be fun to watch again. Their defense may be a different story. I'm interested in seeing how their small d-line holds up against the Cal Poly option attack.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:44 am

TomCat88 wrote:

I think it was the 4th quarter, griz were in or near the red zone, Gustafson had some pressure and threw high and behind a receiver in the end zone. It looked like it was basically a throw-away, the receiver didn't even try to catch it, refs threw a flag for PI, griz got a first and goal at the 2.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:20 am

91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I think it was the 4th quarter, griz were in or near the red zone, Gustafson had some pressure and threw high and behind a receiver in the end zone. It looked like it was basically a throw-away, the receiver didn't even try to catch it, refs threw a flag for PI, griz got a first and goal at the 2.
The receiver got shoved in the back causing him to fall forward, but not lose his balance. The ball was high, yes, but that's probably because the CB was short and the receiver tall and the receiver would be the only one able to get it.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:30 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

The receiver got shoved in the back causing him to fall forward, but not lose his balance. The ball was high, yes, but that's probably because the CB was short and the receiver tall and the receiver would be the only one able to get it.
I agree there was definitely contact. But the ball was high and behind. When the receiver doesn't even bother trying to catch the ball, it's probably because it isn't catchable. And if it's not catchable, by rule there is no PI.

You could argue for defensive holding, which I'd be fine with, but that's not a first and goal at the 2.

But that's just picking nits about the reffing, overall they did a solid job IMO.

catinthezoo
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catinthezoo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:26 am

I thought the refs did a great job. Especially compared to the past few years in big conference games. Even the PI call (the one in the end zone), was right. As good as athletes as some of these guys are, if they if they can get a hand on that ball, they got a shot at coming down with it. It's nice finally seeing replay in the BSC.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:29 am

I thought that was probably the best the BSC refs have ever done.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:44 am

How do we know it was a Big Sky crew?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:51 am

Hawks86 wrote:How do we know it was a Big Sky crew?
They were introduced as a Big Sky crew by the announcers.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:58 am

Rich K wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:How do we know it was a Big Sky crew?
They were introduced as a Big Sky crew by the announcers.
Thanks.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:14 am

I thought they ref'd a great game. That said, maybe the key to getting that day in and day out is to tell them that every game is going to be shown on ESPN nationally! :D

go96griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by go96griz » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:22 am

The reffing was the best I've seen from a big sky crew most likely because it was not a normal big sky crew - it was the league's highest rated officials from each position last season reffing together. Proof that we have at least a few good ones in the league. :)

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:35 am

Instant replay helped make it a good called game. I am happy they are now going to use it in the Big Sky Conference.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:41 am

bobcat92 wrote:Instant replay helped make it a good called game. I am happy they are now going to use it in the Big Sky Conference.
Yep. I cringe at how many "fumbles" and players being down were called wrong in years past. It was high time for replay.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Bobcatstan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcatstan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:53 am

My only concern with replay would be the length of the replays, but the times seemed good yesterday. Very long game tho cuz of all the commercials slotted by ESPN.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:13 pm

Bobcatstan wrote:My only concern with replay would be the length of the replays, but the times seemed good yesterday.
I agree it can throw off the tempo of the game if they spend to much time on looking at the film.