VA is the starter for Oregon vs EWU

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:34 pm

Wasn't sure he would get a shot with the late start.

http://es.pn/1KgUMtI

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: VA is the starter for Oregon vs EWU

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:45 pm

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Suddenly I'm interested in this game.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:28 am

I'm interested in how other people think about this. Do you want VA to succeed or get destroyed? Personally I'm hoping he does well. I think it looks good for the BSC and FCS football. I'm not a fan of the Ducks or Eastern Washington but if he does well I think it shows the talent level at least at the top end of FCS football is pretty good. Also I think it was a gutsy move on VA's part to tranfer and I like to pull for the guy is not afraid to try some thing new.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:55 pm

I hope VA wins the Heisman. I hope some EWU players also knock him on his ass next Saturday.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:17 pm

Wish all the best to VA, especially now we don't have play him any more!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:21 am

Surprised he's starting against EWU. Know it gives Ducks an opportunity to develop their new QB. But also gives EWU an opportunity to put a hurt on him. Not that they would intentionally so a thing like that [emoji79]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Lovethecats75 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:02 am

In order to "put a hurt on him" the EWU defense would have to hit him. Don't think that is going to happen.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:59 am

Lovethecats75 wrote:In order to "put a hurt on him" the EWU defense would have to hit him. Don't think that is going to happen.
Depends on what the Duck offense looks like. If they run zone read like they have for the better part of the last decade, VA is going to take a beating. But last year the Ducks ran the option a lot less, and ran a lot of wrinkles off the read. I always thought that VA was a questionable fit for the Ducks for that reason: he has to be a threat to rush 8-10 times per game. While VA has always been slippery from the pocket, having 4 receivers run vertical routes to clear out the defensive backfield really helped him.

I always thought he would be absolutely crushed running the option. But maybe the Ducks will shift their offense enough to protect him...

Bobcatstan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcatstan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm betting Adams is going to find out why he was an fcs qb. He will get thru ewu, but the Michigan St. defense will humiliate him badly

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:54 pm

Bobcatstan wrote:I'm betting Adams is going to find out why he was an fcs qb. He will get thru ewu, but the Michigan St. defense will humiliate him badly
It may go that way but the FBS defenses he has faced lately haven't exactly humiliated him and that was with less talent supporting him than he will have against Michigan. I do believe Michigan will be the toughest D he has faced so we'll see.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BigSkyCowboy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BigSkyCowboy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:14 am

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:36 pm

Vernon is going to be amazing this year. Look at what he did at EWU against the Pac-12. He now has a bigger and better o-line, faster and better receivers and running backs and a better coaching staff (though I would gladly take Baldwin as the next head coach for the Cats). He knows he has one season to get noticed.

Punters are people too!!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:07 pm

Kinda cynical question, but sincere as well ... does VA even need to go to class this semester, and will he? It's obvious that he's not at Oregon for the master's degree (so whatever classes he takes this fall will be for entertainment/appearance purposes only), but is there only to play football this fall. Would he be allowed to just get a 0.0 GPA this fall so he could devote himself full time to football (especially since he's starting so far behind everyone else)? Would it even impact Oregon's graduation rating formula seeing as how he already graduated?

Does a guy need to make grades for fall semester to play in the bowl or playoffs?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:18 pm

SonomaCat wrote:Kinda cynical question, but sincere as well ... does VA even need to go to class this semester, and will he? It's obvious that he's not at Oregon for the master's degree (so whatever classes he takes this fall will be for entertainment/appearance purposes only), but is there only to play football this fall. Would he be allowed to just get a 0.0 GPA this fall so he could devote himself full time to football (especially since he's starting so far behind everyone else)? Would it even impact Oregon's graduation rating formula seeing as how he already graduated?

Does a guy need to make grades for fall semester to play in the bowl or playoffs?
Not cynical at all sadly and I've questioned that for big programs like Kentucky's basketball program before. I would think that he would have to go at least the first semester as the National Championship is after classes get done and if his grades are super low or a 0.0, wouldn't be academically ineligible for any 2017 games?

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:50 pm

coachouert wrote:
SonomaCat wrote:Kinda cynical question, but sincere as well ... does VA even need to go to class this semester, and will he? It's obvious that he's not at Oregon for the master's degree (so whatever classes he takes this fall will be for entertainment/appearance purposes only), but is there only to play football this fall. Would he be allowed to just get a 0.0 GPA this fall so he could devote himself full time to football (especially since he's starting so far behind everyone else)? Would it even impact Oregon's graduation rating formula seeing as how he already graduated?

Not cynical at all sadly and I've questioned that for big programs like Kentucky's basketball program before. I would think that he would have to go at least the first semester as the National Championship is after classes get done and if his grades are super low or a 0.0, wouldn't be academically ineligible for any 2017 games?
He only has 1 year of eligibility left though, no?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:05 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
coachouert wrote:

He does only have one year of eligibility left. However, if a player doesn't make grades in the fall and games are played after the fall semester is over, wouldn't that rule a player ineligible for those later games? Does that make sense? I feel like we hear of players who should be playing in Near Years Day Bowl Games that don't play because of academics, but maybe I'm getting everything mixed up.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:19 pm

coachouert wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
coachouert wrote:

He does only have one year of eligibility left. However, if a player doesn't make grades in the fall and games are played after the fall semester is over, wouldn't that rule a player ineligible for those later games? Does that make sense? I feel like we hear of players who should be playing in Near Years Day Bowl Games that don't play because of academics, but maybe I'm getting everything mixed up.
Yeah it makes sense. I was just referring to your 2017 comment.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:24 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
coachouert wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
coachouert wrote:

That was my bad, meant 2016 but got typing too quickly. Didn't even notice it until you mentioned it.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:43 pm

coachouert wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
coachouert wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
coachouert wrote:

That was my bad, meant 2016 but got typing too quickly. Didn't even notice it until you mentioned it.
Gotcha, gotcha. But yes, I think you're correct about his eligibility for potential bowl games.