Ft. Lewis vs Black Hills

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Ft. Lewis vs Black Hills

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:23 pm

Yeah I know it's lame to compare how we do against these two teams when projecting how we are this year vs last year, but hear me out.

Last year we were horrible in the first half against Black Hills. We gave up about 250 yards in the first 25 minutes. That was one week after playing a solid Arkansas State team so you'd think we would've worked out the kinks. BHSU had a decent offense, but Ft. Lewis doesn't appear to.

I thought our low performance against BHSU set the tone for our lackluster year on D. I think we will be able to tell right away if our D has turned the corner or not when we play Ft. Lewis. No way should they end up with over 300 yards.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Re: Ft. Lewis vs Black Hills

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:44 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:Yeah I know it's lame to compare how we do against these two teams when projecting how we are this year vs last year, but hear me out.

Last year we were horrible in the first half against Black Hills. We gave up about 250 yards in the first 25 minutes. That was one week after playing a solid Arkansas State team so you'd think we would've worked out the kinks. BHSU had a decent offense, but Ft. Lewis doesn't appear to.

I thought our low performance against BHSU set the tone for our lackluster year on D. I think we will be able to tell right away if our D has turned the corner or not when we play Ft. Lewis. No way should they end up with over 300 yards.
Here's the things I think will tell the tale for the D
- 3 and outs, we should be able to hold a DII team to I think to 75% of their possessions to 3 and outs.
- Turnovers, I would expect to see 2 ints and 2 FR from a mid-level FCS D vs DII O, and I think that's pretty easy number to hit.
- Tackles, particularly tackles for loss, I hope to see at least 80% of initial contact results in a tackle, I really hope it's higher than that
- QB pressure, if we don't get QB pressure without blitzing, this D is probably in for another rough year.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:00 pm

I would be ok with giving up 300 yards to them if our 3's play the entire 2nd half which I'm hoping they are doing after a commanding first half lead.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:03 am

Agree with Bob. Hope 2s and 3s are in early. Don't think playing against DII team will help 1s much and may get them use to a slower game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:03 am

Not sure I agree with the OP.

According to ESPN, BHSU had the following drives to start the game:

11 plays 46 yards-Punt
4 plays, 19 yards-Interception
3 plays 9 yards-Fumble
3 plays, 9 yards-Punt
6 plays, 16 yards-Punt

2nd Quarter
9 plays 53 yards-FG
5 plays 75 yards-TD
3 plays 5 yards-Punt

2nd Half

Total of 5 drives; 4 punts 1 safety; total of 24 yards; 3 first downs, 0 points

On the TD drive, pretty much all the yardage and the points came on one 49 yard run, and on the FG drive, BHSU had 2 big pass that accounted for almost 40 yards.

Not a dominant performance, and probably highlighted the Cats propensity to give up big plays all season long, but other than 2 drives in the 2nd, its a pretty solid performance...

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:48 am

onceacat wrote:Not sure I agree with the OP.

According to ESPN, BHSU had the following drives to start the game:

11 plays 46 yards-Punt
4 plays, 19 yards-Interception
3 plays 9 yards-Fumble
3 plays, 9 yards-Punt
6 plays, 16 yards-Punt

2nd Quarter
9 plays 53 yards-FG
5 plays 75 yards-TD
3 plays 5 yards-Punt

2nd Half

Total of 5 drives; 4 punts 1 safety; total of 24 yards; 3 first downs, 0 points

On the TD drive, pretty much all the yardage and the points came on one 49 yard run, and on the FG drive, BHSU had 2 big pass that accounted for almost 40 yards.

Not a dominant performance, and probably highlighted the Cats propensity to give up big plays all season long, but other than 2 drives in the 2nd, its a pretty solid performance...
You may want to take a closer look. We gave up 11 first downs in the first half. Only two 3 and outs out of eight drives.
Their first two plays were six yards gains on runs. They had a 21 yard run later in that drive. First play of second drive had a 20 yard gain. First play of third drive had a 12 yard gain. Those two ended in turnovers. Fifth drive had two 10 yard gains. Sixth drive had a 14, 24, and 13 yard gain. TD (7th) drive went 5-9-8-9-49. 12 plays of 8 yards or more.
Unacceptable.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:09 am

If they get more than 4 yards on a trick double reverse screen play, I will figure the season is toast.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:17 am

allcat wrote:If they get more than 4 yards on a trick double reverse screen play, I will figure the season is toast.
Actually you'd expect anyone to score. Fluke plays will happen. But last year BHSU drove the ball relatively consistently against us during first half. I don't know if we adjusted or if they just gave up from being down 42-10.