Move Chad Newell

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Move Chad Newell

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:40 am

Ok, I know I'm crazy, and likely to be run out of town on a rail, but listen up. With the offense locked and loaded as it sits to be one of the nations best, but with a D that is set to be one of the nations worst...or at least one that has tons to prove to not be...WHY NOT move Chad Newell to Bandit?????

He's a beast on special teams... he KNOWS how to tackle...he HAS the speed...he HAS the nastiness for the defensive side of the ball... he IS an athlete who leads emotionally!

We have tons of RB"s for Cramsey to play with, and throw in and use (Brekke, Dodd, LaSane, and the new kid)... and hey, when it's short down territory, throw Newell in as our FRIDGE!!! Just saying...

I know, I'm off my meds...but...

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Move Chad Newell

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:01 am

Do you remember the ISU game, 5 td's....he is part of the reason out offense is successful. Although I do agree he is an all around athlete, he is fully capable of playing bandit, but personally I would keep him right where he is. Besides we'll have Jessie Clark playing soon enough, which gives us more depth at DE.

I do like what your thinking....keep throwing out ideas.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:10 am

FTG247365 wrote:Do you remember the ISU game, 5 td's....he is part of the reason out offense is successful. Although I do agree he is an all around athlete, he is fully capable of playing bandit, but personally I would keep him right where he is. Besides we'll have Jessie Clark playing soon enough, which gives us more depth at DE.

I do like what your thinking....keep throwing out ideas.
That was SDSU, but I get your point. I'd add that we aren't deep at RB. All six have missed time this spring.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:58 am

I love the idea! I would not have the balls as a coach to make the move. He is too good at RB and quite frankly, he earned the RB position. If we falter at DE or LB early, I would hope the coaches look at all options.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:14 am

Hutchins deserves a chance, but we have so many DE's that they should be able to find someone who can rush the passer effectively. We also will have Robert Wilcox eventually.

2024 Resume dominance

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:22 am

Why stop there? Brekke was a very good corner at Capital. Prukop was getting FBS looks at safety. Flynn would make one mean ass DT. 8)

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:28 am

Hawks86 wrote:Why stop there? Brekke was a very good corner at Capital. Prukop was getting FBS looks at safety. Flynn would make one mean ass DT. 8)
Why not let them play both ways? I sat out one total play in my senior year of high school, surely all 4 of the guys mentioned are in much better shape than I was.

Just kidding of course. Moving any of those guys mentioned would take more coaching balls than coaching brains.

Any of you Bobcat historians know who was the last player to start both sides?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:29 am

Hawks86 wrote:Why stop there? Brekke was a very good corner at Capital. Prukop was getting FBS looks at safety. Flynn would make one mean ass DT. 8)
Yes! The whole offense plays both ways!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:33 am

Come on dude, get serious! 8)

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:36 am

Rich K wrote:
Why not let them play both ways? I sat out one total play in my senior year of high school, surely all 4 of the guys mentioned are in much better shape than I was.

Just kidding of course. Moving any of those guys mentioned would take more coaching balls than coaching brains.

I can't recall of any Cat playing both ways. Who was it?

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:40 am

Cataholic wrote:
Rich K wrote:

I have no idea, I figured it must have been a long, long, long time ago when such things were more common.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:42 am

Rich K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Rich K wrote:

I have no idea, I figured it must have been a long, long, long time ago when such things were more common.
A quick google search found this article http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... 506c0.html

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:37 am

catsrback76 wrote:Ok, I know I'm crazy, and likely to be run out of town on a rail, but listen up. With the offense locked and loaded as it sits to be one of the nations best, but with a D that is set to be one of the nations worst...or at least one that has tons to prove to not be...WHY NOT move Chad Newell to Bandit?????

He's a beast on special teams... he KNOWS how to tackle...he HAS the speed...he HAS the nastiness for the defensive side of the ball... he IS an athlete who leads emotionally!

We have tons of RB"s for Cramsey to play with, and throw in and use (Brekke, Dodd, LaSane, and the new kid)... and hey, when it's short down territory, throw Newell in as our FRIDGE!!! Just saying...

I know, I'm off my meds...but...
I think he would have made an insanely good LB, but only if he had been working on it from day 1 when he came to MSU. I would hate to see him switch positions now, ya have to figure it would take him a full year to learn a new defensive position, giving him just one season at that position (assuming he would even be starting).

Keep him at RB. Plus he is really the only "bruiser" that we have at RB since Knight got booted.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:39 am

Arizona State did a similar move, and from what I understand, the coaching only involved getting him lined up correctly and telling him to 'get the effing quarterback'. This idea isn't as crazy as it sounds. One difference is that ASU did it with a young (albiet talented) RB not a 5th year guy that is a tremendous on field leader for the offense. Not sure that matters, but either way I don't see it happening for Newell.

go96griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by go96griz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:52 am

I recall Zach Hutchins being a highly touted recruit a few years ago out of powerhouse Bishop Gorman High School. Has he disappointed so far? I was thinking he was suspended for the season last year. Is that correct? I'm surprised this kid hasn't made a bigger splash. Is he possibly playing out of position? Thanks for the insight.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:58 am

This is a lot more interesting than debating whether or not we should ban, kill or castrate Griz posters.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:02 am

go96griz wrote:I recall Zach Hutchins being a highly touted recruit a few years ago out of powerhouse Bishop Gorman High School. Has he disappointed so far? I was thinking he was suspended for the season last year. Is that correct? I'm surprised this kid hasn't made a bigger splash. Is he possibly playing out of position? Thanks for the insight.
Redshirted his first year. Was academically ineligible for his redshirt freshman season. Started games last year at defensive end and played decent for a sophomore. You could tell he had some pass rushing ability. He was a hybrid in high school for Bishop Gorman. A linebacker that came off the edge in a 3-4 or a defensive end in a 4-3. They wanted to move him to linebacker this offseason so he lost some weight but now they moved him back to bandit defensive end which will be more of a stand-up position on our defense. He played well in the spring and is our starter there. Has been dealing with some injuries during fall camp but nothing serious. Expecting a productive year out of him this year.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

go96griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by go96griz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:12 am

VimSince03 wrote:
go96griz wrote:I recall Zach Hutchins being a highly touted recruit a few years ago out of powerhouse Bishop Gorman High School. Has he disappointed so far? I was thinking he was suspended for the season last year. Is that correct? I'm surprised this kid hasn't made a bigger splash. Is he possibly playing out of position? Thanks for the insight.
Redshirted his first year. Was academically ineligible for his redshirt freshman season. Started games last year at defensive end and played decent for a sophomore. You could tell he had some pass rushing ability. He was a hybrid in high school for Bishop Gorman. A linebacker that came off the edge in a 3-4 or a defensive end in a 4-3. They wanted to move him to linebacker this offseason so he lost some weight but now they moved him back to bandit defensive end which will be more of a stand-up position on our defense. He played well in the spring and is our starter there. Has been dealing with some injuries during fall camp but nothing serious. Expecting a productive year out of him this year.
Thanks, appreciate the detailed answer.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:34 am

I thought I remember that Hutchins has come a long way, but yea he is playing pretty light as he lost weight because he thought he was going to play LB. He is like 215 right now.

But Daly had a helluva season around 215...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:33 pm

Rich K wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Rich K wrote:

A quick google search found this article http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... 506c0.html
Leave it to a Butte guy to play both ways. I thought I recall more recent times when we had a DB play some WR as well. Maybe in the Kramer era.

Although this post is more fun than realistic, if our ends struggle, it is not completely unrealistic to change positions. Happens at QB all the time. Recently Roderick. How cool would it be to use Newell in specific situations on defense? 3rd and long and his only responsibility is to get to QB. Crowd is standing, hells bells are ringing.... I can feel the goosebumps already.