MSU cannot tackle

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU cannot tackle

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:59 pm

Bobcats aggressive, heated in return to practice field

http://t.co/vNIgB1kZth

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:15 pm

allcat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
PapaG wrote:I don't understand this thread. Is it that defense is missing a bunch of tackles in camp, or that they're not allowed to tackle much in camp, or something else?
There are only 4 or 5 "live" (full tackle) practices per year under Ash. As a result, we can't tackle.
Do you mean like at Coastal Carolina?
Huh?

If your left, you aren’t right.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:51 pm

So for clarification because I have not seen ANYTHING during either Spring or Fall camp, the reason why you say we "can't tackle" or won't tackle is because???

The defense wasn't tackling the offense...one of the best in the league/nation? Could it be we didn't get a hat on a hat? Could it be that we had players out of position to tackle and only arm tackles were possible? In both of those cases it is fixable by more time in playbook and film room. IF however it is what Sonny Holland says, 80% wanting to tackle and we aren't, then turn Sonny lose on them!!!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
allcat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
PapaG wrote:I don't understand this thread. Is it that defense is missing a bunch of tackles in camp, or that they're not allowed to tackle much in camp, or something else?
There are only 4 or 5 "live" (full tackle) practices per year under Ash. As a result, we can't tackle.
Huh?
They do no live tackling, yet they tackle well in games.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:00 pm

allcat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
allcat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Huh?
And they bought the tackling dummies and practice tackling

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:26 pm

Did anybody listen to the Colter's and Brook's podcast that was put out today?...60 min of Bobcat breakdown. Awesome stuff. Ended with a synopsis of the defense and Brooks saying our defense will be at best marginally better than last year. I thought that was interesting. BTW, Colter and Brooks are doing awesome work.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:20 pm

Common Cat wrote:Did anybody listen to the Colter's and Brook's podcast that was put out today?...60 min of Bobcat breakdown. Awesome stuff. Ended with a synopsis of the defense and Brooks saying our defense will be at best marginally better than last year. I thought that was interesting. BTW, Colter and Brooks are doing awesome work.
Quoting this for use later on.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:54 pm

One of the points that they made on the podcast was that the defensive starters needed to be identified sooner than later to build a sense of cohesive play in the defense. I think that is a great point. You really won't know what defense you will have until you see the defense you will have. Players can be changed out once the starters have been set, and that should be expected, but until everyone knows who they will be playing with, it will be sloppy and inconsistent.

Our biggest weakness seems to be the corners with our biggest question mark being the D line and the push and harassment they can bring to the opponents QB. Tackling I'm not sure is our biggest problem at this point anyway...but we shall see.
Last edited by catsrback76 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:37 am

catsrback76 wrote:One of the points that they made on the podcast was that the defensive starters needed to be identified sooner than later to build a sense of cohesive play in the defense. I think that is a great point. You really won't know what defense you will have until you see the defense you will have. Players can be changed out once the starters have been set, and that should be expected, but until everyone knows who they will be playing with, it will be sloppy and inconsistent.

Our biggest weakness seems to be the corners with out biggest question mark being the D line and the push and harassment they can bring to the opponents QB. Tackling I'm not sure is our biggest problem at this point anyway...but we shall see.
The other point was that while we start with Fort Lewis in week and a half. We follow that with 16 days till the next game. Almost time for another camp.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:56 am

Hawks86 wrote:Bobcats aggressive, heated in return to practice field

While I can get behind the pushing and shoving of the other scrums, I would prefer to not see the QB instigating one of them......

I heard something yesterday on the radio about Chris Carter's son being at camp with the Colts, and they have a number of rules. One of them is that if you're not behind Andrew Luck, you're not with the team, or something like that. I want all the players on the team to want to bleed for the qb, not get in fights with him. Not a criticism of DK, but a preference. And as far as I know, this one a one-time thing. I'm not concerned about it. Just a comment on the article.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:11 am

allcat wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
allcat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Huh?
I read ya now, and its kind of like the NFL as well. They don't tackle live during the season either, not sure they even go full pads during the season as well. I'm not buying the whole "we cant tackle in games because we don't tackle in practice it" idea. Maybe, and it may make some people mad, but the guys we have and the guys we have had on defense aren't that good and haven't been that good for at least three years now, except for a couple. I'm going to hold the judgment until after the EWU game, that should tell us a lot in terms of how the defense will do against other Big Sky teams. Mark me down as very concerned and not holding my breath for a stellar defense this year.

If your left, you aren’t right.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:17 am

I think you need to read between the lines of the OP. Sounds more like a critique of the reporting. If there are four reporters at camp daily and we have these issues on defense why can't they report on what the coaches are doing to remedy it instead of telling us that so-n-so is still sitting out or that a couple guys got into a fight (nothing uncommon during camp). A little in depth reporting (if you can call it that) would be a nice change of pace from the player features and daily high/low lights.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:15 am

lutecat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Bobcats aggressive, heated in return to practice field

While I can get behind the pushing and shoving of the other scrums, I would prefer to not see the QB instigating one of them......

I heard something yesterday on the radio about Chris Carter's son being at camp with the Colts, and they have a number of rules. One of them is that if you're not behind Andrew Luck, you're not with the team, or something like that. I want all the players on the team to want to bleed for the qb, not get in fights with him. Not a criticism of DK, but a preference. And as far as I know, this one a one-time thing. I'm not concerned about it. Just a comment on the article.
I like the competitive ribbing of the D by DP. It puts more fight into the D on the dog days of camp and makes for competition during practice. You need intensity at practice and if you don't want DP yelling TD, then get a TOUCH on him before he crosses the endzone. Other teams will be doing that to us when they score as well. Its the D's job to stop them and frankly they have not been getting it done. That being said I also like that the D is punching back a well. They should be upset and getting cranky by now. I also think the offense shouldn't be getting too cocky either because the defense is in flux right now and trying to learn both a new scheme AND starting positions. The offense should be taking it to our D right now. I was hoping the defensive struggles would have been more new players/scheme, but the tackling comments now have me a little more worried. We still have time to pull it together though but I agree we need to get the starters in place and let them gel for the next 2-3 weeks.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:19 am

catsrback76 wrote:One of the points that they made on the podcast was that the defensive starters needed to be identified sooner than later to build a sense of cohesive play in the defense. I think that is a great point. You really won't know what defense you will have until you see the defense you will have. Players can be changed out once the starters have been set, and that should be expected, but until everyone knows who they will be playing with, it will be sloppy and inconsistent.

Our biggest weakness seems to be the corners with our biggest question mark being the D line and the push and harassment they can bring to the opponents QB. Tackling I'm not sure is our biggest problem at this point anyway...but we shall see.
I think the reason some of the defensive starters are still in limbo is because we have such a big break before EWU. I don't think they'll square it away solidly until after Ft. Lewis. And, gee, Brooks really went out on a limb there. Marginally better. Thats what I would say too. That's something you say when really have no idea. Which no one does this early in the process.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:28 am

The OP saying fundamentals are important is fair, although I'm more than happy to gobble up stats, injury reports, and scrum information. I strongly encourage our armada of reporters to continue. As could have been easily anticipated, this thread is a strong breeding ground for hyperbole and sweeping generalizations. I'm inclined to wait and see how these guys come together in the next couple weeks. I remain optimistic about our D.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:46 am

i'm just hoping our D ends up kind of like SHSU's last year. They brought in all those transfers and they didn't play very well to start the season. But towards the end of the season they were a deep playoff team. The D needs time to come together and learn to trust each other. The sooner we can get the starting lineup set, so those players can all play together and become one unit, the better

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by DicTater » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:03 am

You can tackle all the stationary dummies in the world with perfect technique, but that all goes out the window when you're across from JayShawn Gates. There were a lot of Big Sky players last year who missed tackles on Gates, Johnson, Brekke, Prukop, etc. With the spread offenses, its a lot tougher to tackle a guy one on one in space than tackling a guy running between the tackles all day.

Of course the coaches teach the fundamentals. Alex Singleton was the most fundamentally sound tackler I've seen in a long time. Cole Moore was a great tackler. You don't have Buck Buchannen winners without knowing how to tackle. Chill out dudes. Tackling in practice is not the same as tackling in games. and, remember, the guys on offense aren't standing still like tackling dummies, they're actually trying not to get tackled.

If tackling was easy, guys like Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, and Darren Sproles would never have had careers in the NFL.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:20 am

DicTater wrote:You can tackle all the stationary dummies in the world with perfect technique, but that all goes out the window when you're across from JayShawn Gates. There were a lot of Big Sky players last year who missed tackles on Gates, Johnson, Brekke, Prukop, etc. With the spread offenses, its a lot tougher to tackle a guy one on one in space than tackling a guy running between the tackles all day.

Of course the coaches teach the fundamentals. Alex Singleton was the most fundamentally sound tackler I've seen in a long time. Cole Moore was a great tackler. You don't have Buck Buchannen winners without knowing how to tackle. Chill out dudes. Tackling in practice is not the same as tackling in games. and, remember, the guys on offense aren't standing still like tackling dummies, they're actually trying not to get tackled.

If tackling was easy, guys like Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, and Darren Sproles would never have had careers in the NFL.
I don't think it's easy to say chill out dudes when the coaches have said we aren't tackling well after both scrimmages.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:03 am

I don't think anyone could disagree the Seattle Seahawks are among the best tackling teams in the NFL...maybe the best. Pete Carroll believes rugby style tackling is the most efficient and safest way to tackle saying rugby players have mastered the "science" better than anyone. Take a look at "How Pete Carroll and the Seahawks Have Mastered the Science of Tackling".

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:12 am

Mr Lisle wrote:I don't think anyone could disagree the Seattle Seahawks are among the best tackling teams in the NFL...maybe the best. Pete Carroll believes rugby style tackling is the most efficient and safest way to tackle saying rugby players have mastered the "science" better than anyone. Take a look at "How Pete Carroll and the Seahawks Have Mastered the Science of Tackling".
This has not gone unnoticed at other levels. The Seahawks Tackling Drills are making the rounds at the High School level, and many High Schools have really bought in to it. For 2 reasons, one it's effective, two it's safer (they really preach getting your head out of it). Also, there are many drills in the system that you can do without pads.