MSU cannot tackle

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

MSU cannot tackle

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Yeah, I know it's not a real exciting subject. You'd rather hear about a scuffle that broke out between an offensive and defensive player or the injury report or the highlight reel catch someone made, but the real story at MSU camp is that its defense can't tackle. Well, they probably can, but they aren't.

Not being able to tackle is like not being able to make a layup. Sure you can close in on a ball-carrier like no one's business, but if you can't bring him down what good did that do? About as much good as blowing by your defender on a drive, but then constantly choking on the layup.

I don't need to hear Kane Ioane yelling at his players. I need to see him showing them how to tackle.

Football, like any sport, is founded on fundamentals. You can be the world's greatest athlete, but if you don't have a solid handle on the fundamentals your career will fall short of anyone's expectations. If you're too cool to work on them and would rather practice spiking the ball over the goal posts or bouncing the ball off the backboard and dunking it, then good luck to ya. The guys that are slower, shorter and weaker that work on staying in position and tackling are gonna beat you out.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU cannot tackle

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:29 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Yeah, I know it's not a real exciting subject. You'd rather hear about a scuffle that broke out between an offensive and defensive player or the injury report or the highlight reel catch someone made, but the real story at MSU camp is that its defense can't tackle. Well, they probably can, but they aren't.

Not being able to tackle is like not being able to make a layup. Sure you can close in on a ball-carrier like no one's business, but if you can't bring him down what good did that do? About as much good as blowing by your defender on a drive, but then constantly choking on the layup.

I don't need to hear Kane Ioane yelling at his players. I need to see him showing them how to tackle.

Football, like any sport, is founded on fundamentals. You can be the world's greatest athlete, but if you don't have a solid handle on the fundamentals your career will fall short of anyone's expectations. If you're too cool to work on them and would rather practice spiking the ball over the goal posts or bouncing the ball off the backboard and dunking it, then good luck to ya. The guys that are slower, shorter and weaker that work on staying in position and tackling are gonna beat you out.
Spot on. The no tackling has been harped on for years.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:37 pm

Oh oh. Was thinking about going to Cheney. Maybe I'll watch on TV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:41 pm

I've said it here before and I'll say it again. Actually, I'm quoting Sonny Lubick and it's the stone truth..."tackling is 20% technique and 80% wanting to".

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:45 pm

Let's hope coach I can create a lil desire.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:58 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Yeah, I know it's not a real exciting subject. You'd rather hear about a scuffle that broke out between an offensive and defensive player or the injury report or the highlight reel catch someone made, but the real story at MSU camp is that its defense can't tackle. Well, they probably can, but they aren't.

That doesn't sound good Tom, you're 100% spot on, fundamentals are key.

If I was Kane, I'd say if you blow a tackle you get to line up 1 on 1 with JP Flynn... no mercy. and also start running tackling drills for the entire practice,every practice till fort lewis. If we don't tackle or even take bad lines this year, it will be the same or worse than last.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:01 pm

How about sitting them and finding someone who wants to

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:05 pm

If they're afraid of injuries, buy the tackling dummies and use them in tackling drills to perfect technique.

Good post Tom. It's a Rob Ash era problem.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:06 pm

Good post Tom - the failed attempt to stop Jayshawn Gates from nine yards out in the last scrimmage was quite illustrative, and reminded me a great deal of the 2013 EWU game in Cheney where EWU scored at will-we almost always had guys in position to make the tackle but Forte was consistently broke past 2 or 3 defenders before being brought down. We may have had scheme problems back then, in fact I think it was that year when we started struggling with up-tempo spread offenses, but one of the problems that allowed EWU to be 2-dimensional was our inability to tackle.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:17 pm

So Tom, is this tackling issue with just the "older" (by which I mean the one's who have been around MSU for a while) or is it just plain everyone, transfers included?

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:23 pm

While this season has yet to play out, I thought defensive woes were Jamie Marshal's fault, and with him "out of the way" things were supposed to be better :-k

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:26 pm

KittieKop wrote:While this season has yet to play out, I thought defensive woes were Jamie Marshal's fault, and with him "out of the way" things were supposed to be better :-k
Ioane has Teflon, it fall back to Ash.

Try to keep up would ya?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:27 pm

I don't understand this thread. Is it that defense is missing a bunch of tackles in camp, or that they're not allowed to tackle much in camp, or something else?
Last edited by PapaG on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:29 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
KittieKop wrote:While this season has yet to play out, I thought defensive woes were Jamie Marshal's fault, and with him "out of the way" things were supposed to be better :-k
Ioane has Teflon, it fall back to Ash.

Try to keep up would ya?
Fields. Its Peter Fields' fault.

One step ahead of you. :wink:

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:31 pm

PapaG wrote:I don't understand this thread. Is it that defense is missing a bunch of tackles in camp, or that they're not allowed to tackle much in camp, or something else?
There are only 4 or 5 "live" (full tackle) practices per year under Ash. As a result, we can't tackle.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Not buying it. You don't lead the league in defense (which we've done multiple times under Ash and co) with some underlying fundamental problem of not knowing how to tackle. Agree we've slipped the past couple years but I still believe that boils down to attitude. As of now I believe our current problems have to do with players getting up to speed on a completely new system and still having to thing rather than react and tackle to the ground. My prediction is that you will see a crapload of great tackles out of this defense this year.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:42 pm

catatac wrote:Not buying it. You don't lead the league in defense (which we've done multiple times under Ash and co) with some underlying fundamental problem of not knowing how to tackle. Agree we've slipped the past couple years but I still believe that boils down to attitude. As of now I believe our current problems have to do with players getting up to speed on a completely new system and still having to thing rather than react and tackle to the ground. My prediction is that you will see a crapload of great tackles out of this defense this year.
How do you get better at it if you don't practice it?

bobcatmaniac
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatmaniac » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Our defense has never been as good as we were years ago. We would stop teams on the 1-2 yard line. Intense!! Now ummm good luck.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:50 pm

Was Braun out of practice for discipline reasons today or was it a class conflict? Ash said it wasn't injury related, so I'm just wondering what it could be?

If your left, you aren’t right.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:51 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
PapaG wrote:I don't understand this thread. Is it that defense is missing a bunch of tackles in camp, or that they're not allowed to tackle much in camp, or something else?
There are only 4 or 5 "live" (full tackle) practices per year under Ash. As a result, we can't tackle.
Do you mean like at Coastal Carolina?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic