Gazette putting reporter on Bobcats full-time

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JeffWelsch
BobcatNation Redshirt

Gazette putting reporter on Bobcats full-time

Post by JeffWelsch » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Greetings old friends at Bobcat Nation. This is Jeff Welsch -- former Chronicle sports editor and, after leaving the biz for six years, back in the ink-stained saddle as the SE at The Billings Gazette since July 2014.

Thought you'd be interested in knowing that we're putting sports reporter Greg Rachac in Bozeman full-time to cover the Cats this year in the manner an NCAA Division I program like MSU's merits.

Here's a link to my Sunday column about the new trail we're blazing at The Gazette: http://bgz.tt/qxuff

In full disclosure, this also means we'll be matching Cat coverage with -- and pardon while I duck -- equal Griz coverage from the Missoulian. A small price to pay for Bobcat faithful across eastern Montana and beyond getting daily coverage, yes?

I'm thrilled that we're making this commitment and look forward to hearing from everyone here about our coverage going forward. Let me know what you think here or at jwelsch@billingsgazette.com. And be sure to check out and "like" our CatGrizInsider page on Facebook if you haven't already.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Gazette putting reporter on Bobcats full-time

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:29 pm

Right on Jeff. Looks like I need to get the Billing Gazette again. I have missed reading it. =D^ =D^ =D^

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi Jeff. That's great news for MSU for sure. It will help to even out the print media playing field in Montana. It's also good to see any newspaper expand its coverage in this age.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Great news! Way to step up, Jeff. I'll be reading the Gazette online. I like Rachac's work already, and look forward to see his to reading him even more now that he'll have some local access.
Last edited by PapaG on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:15 pm

This a great thing for sports fans! Thanks to Colter for doing an outstanding job and making other media outlets step up their game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:34 pm

Man it seems like we're spoiled these days. Parker rolls in and is an all-star. Colter's transition to the new business seems to be going well. Now this. Wow. I really like Greg's writing and his coverage, and I admire that the Gazette is willing to take a chance on an investment in the future. I'm positive Greg will do a great job. I would suppose our end of the bargain is to put a credit card number down on an online subscription. Let me talk to the boss...

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:52 am

We get the best coverage in FCS IMO.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Helenabobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Helenabobcat » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:32 pm

Yay! I was wondering this past couple of weeks why all of a sudden the Independent Record had more Bobcat articles than usual... Thank you. =D^

JeffWelsch
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by JeffWelsch » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Helenabobcat wrote:Yay! I was wondering this past couple of weeks why all of a sudden the Independent Record had more Bobcat articles than usual... Thank you. =D^
Just one more benefit, Helenabobcat: Our sister papers in Helena and Butte also get to carry more Cats and Griz coverage. Should be a fun fall.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:32 pm

1. Will the Gazette do a game day edition (since the Chronicle dropped it).

2. If yes, to above will more than 20 Gazettes be available to purchase in Bozeman on Saturdays?

JeffWelsch
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by JeffWelsch » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:45 pm

kcatz wrote:1. Will the Gazette do a game day edition (since the Chronicle dropped it).

2. If yes, to above will more than 20 Gazettes be available to purchase in Bozeman on Saturdays?
It's a possibility, kcatz. Stay tuned.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:47 am

While I'm thankful that the Gazette has finally realized that Bobcat fans read the Gazette too, I must say that I'm less than excited that Greg Rachac is the chosen reporter. As a long time reader of the Gazette's sports pages and its coverage and/or non-coverage of the 'Cats, I've seen Rachac turn stories supposedly about the Bobcats into stories about the griz. I find his coverage of the 'Cats already suspect with the ancient history story about the NDSU buyout. Even if one gives him the benefit of the doubt as to his motives with this story, most thinking people would recognize this as just another opportunity for griz and NDSU fans to take another unwarranted shot at MSU. If the Gazette truly desires somewhat equivalent coverage for the 'Cats and griz, it would do well to watch the tone of its articles as well as the frequency, length, etc. In my opinion, the Gazette's Bobcat fan readership would have best served if the Gazette had contracted or reached some other reporting arrangement with Colter Nuanez to cover the 'Cats for them as Colter has demonstrated that he can provide unbiased and competent coverage regardless of any prior affiliations.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:32 pm

catscat wrote:While I'm thankful that the Gazette has finally realized that Bobcat fans read the Gazette too, I must say that I'm less than excited that Greg Rachac is the chosen reporter. As a long time reader of the Gazette's sports pages and its coverage and/or non-coverage of the 'Cats, I've seen Rachac turn stories supposedly about the Bobcats into stories about the griz. I find his coverage of the 'Cats already suspect with the ancient history story about the NDSU buyout. Even if one gives him the benefit of the doubt as to his motives with this story, most thinking people would recognize this as just another opportunity for griz and NDSU fans to take another unwarranted shot at MSU. If the Gazette truly desires somewhat equivalent coverage for the 'Cats and griz, it would do well to watch the tone of its articles as well as the frequency, length, etc. In my opinion, the Gazette's Bobcat fan readership would have best served if the Gazette had contracted or reached some other reporting arrangement with Colter Nuanez to cover the 'Cats for them as Colter has demonstrated that he can provide unbiased and competent coverage regardless of any prior affiliations.

This times 1000. After reading the aforementioned story I had commented on forgetting about Colters story from two years ago. As was brought to my attention I was slightly mislead by the article and could easily see why there was confusion on my part. I have also read previous Rachac articles and could not agree more that almost everyone has a um bias to it and personally am less than thrilled the Gazette is putting this type of reporting out as a "look at us we are talking about the cats". But in reality it is more it's cat news with griz bias so all in all same ole same ole

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:33 pm

The gazette is such a liberal rag and a joke of a paper, I wouldn't expect too much from their new "coverage." We've already seen the new coverage digging up a two year old story that basically everyone already knew. High quality journalism and the billings gazette are mutually exclusive terms.

gocats

Post by gocats » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:58 pm

kcatz wrote:1. Will the Gazette do a game day edition (since the Chronicle dropped it).

Kcatz, I'm not sure where you're looking but I put out 240 Gazette in Bozeman on Saturdays and 350 on Sundays and pick up 1/2 of them So there's someplace that has them.
My wife and I are the only ones that do the Gazette in Bozeman and belgrade..
Darth Yoda wrote:Man it seems like we're spoiled these days. Parker rolls in and is an all-star. Colter's transition to the new business seems to be going well. Now this. Wow. I really like Greg's writing and his coverage, and I admire that the Gazette is willing to take a chance on an investment in the future. I'm positive Greg will do a great job. I would suppose our end of the bargain is to put a credit card number down on an online subscription. Let me talk to the boss...

Alcohol doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean.... on chairs, tables and random ugly people....

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:56 pm

This is the same reporter that has put out several articles in the last few days about the griz. The ol' grizette at it again.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:09 am

Agree with Scat and Grad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Baby steps. I remember when MSU would only get about 3-4 inches of AP text on page 5B, while UM got 20 with a local byline on 1B. The media was brutal towards MSU not long ago. Hopefully they'll find something more uplifting to talk about.

Just last year someone wrote a story about UM's all-time series edge and didn't acknowledge MSU's national titles and conference titles because some were NAIA, but didn't mention that many of UM's all-times series wins were when MSU was NAIA. That was really disappointing.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:20 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Baby steps. I remember when MSU would only get about 3-4 inches of AP text on page 5B, while UM got 20 with a local byline on 1B. The media was brutal towards MSU not long ago. Hopefully they'll find something more uplifting to talk about.

Just last year someone wrote a story about UM's all-time series edge and didn't acknowledge MSU's national titles and conference titles because some were NAIA, but didn't mention that many of UM's all-times series wins were when MSU was NAIA. That was really disappointing.
One pitchfork, please. ;)

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:08 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Baby steps. I remember when MSU would only get about 3-4 inches of AP text on page 5B, while UM got 20 with a local byline on 1B. The media was brutal towards MSU not long ago. Hopefully they'll find something more uplifting to talk about.

One pitchfork, please. ;)
:lol:
No doubt. Seriously, having worked sports at a Lee newspaper I got to see this first hand for 17 years. I think an article about MSU needing to do one more stadium fix would be a productive story. It would put pressure on MSU instead of reminding of some failure, perceived or not.

toM StUber