Fall Camp 2015

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fall Camp 2015

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Logan jones? That makes no sense to me. It's nothing against him, and I'm glad he has turned out to be a stud, but he would be like 6th on the rb depth chart.... Why not just redshirt him?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Punt returner?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Jones is perfect for the travel squad. He can return kicks, punts, play RB and WR, and play on cover teams. If any one of four positions go down to injury he can step in. Guys like that are invaluable.

Not to mention the top four RBs have been nicked up this camp.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:48 pm

mslacatfan wrote:Logan jones? That makes no sense to me. It's nothing against him, and I'm glad he has turned out to be a stud, but he would be like 6th on the rb depth chart.... Why not just redshirt him?
Very simple. The group of freshmen receivers we had last year. If this kid is better than our returning players and shows up every damn play, put him on the field whether he WAS the Gatoraide Player of the Year in high school or not!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:11 am

mslacatfan wrote:Logan jones? That makes no sense to me. It's nothing against him, and I'm glad he has turned out to be a stud, but he would be like 6th on the rb depth chart.... Why not just redshirt him?
It should. I've been telling everyone this since Signing Day!!! \:D/

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:43 am

wbtfg wrote:Punt returner?

Speaking of which, does anyone know who our punt returner is going to be this year? I remember Greibel used to step in when Johnson couldn't go. Is Greibel the #1 PR now? And who's doing kickoff return duties with Brekke this year?

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:03 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
wbtfg wrote:Punt returner?

Speaking of which, does anyone know who our punt returner is going to be this year? I remember Greibel used to step in when Johnson couldn't go. Is Greibel the #1 PR now? And who's doing kickoff return duties with Brekke this year?
I was only able to watch part of the scrimmage on Saturday and the two guys I saw back to return punts were Brekke and Jones. I got there about 30 mins in to the scrimmage so there may have been one other, but Brekke and Jones alternated after I arrived.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:34 pm

I've talked to more than one person who says Jones is a complete badass. I'm told he benches over 300, squats close to 500 and runs the 100 meters close to 11-flat. He only weighs about 180.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:28 pm

TomCat88 wrote:I've talked to more than one person who says Jones is a complete badass. I'm told he benches over 300, squats close to 500 and runs the 100 meters close to 11-flat. He only weighs about 180.
He is a fast, tough spark plug. I loved his high school film. He can run and is really good at catching the ball in traffic despite his size). He is a Danny Woodhead clone (yes I brought that name up again). Woodhead is one of the strongest Chargers as well pound for pound.

He is going to be fun to watch!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:24 pm

8-24-Rotation spots secured, RB duo fights to stay healthy
http://skylinesportsmt.com/with-rotatio ... y-healthy/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:27 pm

TomCat88 wrote:I've talked to more than one person who says Jones is a complete badass. I'm told he benches over 300, squats close to 500 and runs the 100 meters close to 11-flat. He only weighs about 180.
He's the biggest "the entire sideline is watching" guy when he gets the ball of any player I've covered over the last four seasons covering the Cats. When he gets the ball, everyone oohs and ahs. Like I heard someone exclaim, "That dude might be the bravest man in America." He is so small. He is so explosive. Sometimes, he gets smoked. Sometimes, he hits a home run. He's so fun to watch.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:59 pm

Kid has serious talent, hard to keep him off the field.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:55 am

Awesome about Logan! When we didn't get Dalton Daum, I just wasn't that down because I knew we had a great shot of getting Logan who I think is a better overall player than Dalton (and not just because one committed to the Griz). I thought Logan was more versatile and I am still surprised we got him with only a preferred walk-on. I gotta give kudos to Cat Bracket because he was saying Logan would push for playing time all along (even though he said he would push Griebel for starting time at wide receiver :roll: ). Overall, I'm glad the coaches moved him to running back to provide depth behind Gunnar and Tavon. The best players play!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:12 am

Maybe this needs its own thread that looks at each player individually, but it's not clear to me who won the in-state recruiting battle last year. The griz seemed to declare victory and we seemed to roll over any agree. I'm not so sure. Daum is out and Logan Jones is a rock star. Ryan is having double shoulder surgery and may or may not ever be 100% again. In the meantime we have 3 true freshman make varsity all of whom are MT guys. That fact the this state produced a BSC caliber CB and we got him is significant. Brott seems to be on his way as a top shelf OL, and we got him. I really liked how Ferriter played in the scrimmage and it remains to be seen if Sims ends up better at the end of the day. It's possible we actually won last year. I'm willing to say right now that we are ahead. JMO.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:24 am

Darth Yoda wrote:Maybe this needs its own thread that looks at each player individually, but it's not clear to me who won the in-state recruiting battle last year. The griz seemed to declare victory and we seemed to roll over any agree. I'm not so sure. Daum is out and Logan Jones is a rock star. Ryan is having double shoulder surgery and may or may not ever be 100% again. In the meantime we have 3 true freshman make varsity all of whom are MT guys. That fact the this state produced a BSC caliber CB and we got him is significant. Brott seems to be on his way as a top shelf OL, and we got him. I really liked how Ferriter played in the scrimmage and it remains to be seen if Sims ends up better at the end of the day. It's possible we actually won last year. I'm willing to say right now that we are ahead. JMO.
It's fun to speculate, but only time will tell, and I think that really means at least 2 full years.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:06 pm

allcat wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:Maybe this needs its own thread that looks at each player individually, but it's not clear to me who won the in-state recruiting battle last year. The griz seemed to declare victory and we seemed to roll over any agree. I'm not so sure. Daum is out and Logan Jones is a rock star. Ryan is having double shoulder surgery and may or may not ever be 100% again. In the meantime we have 3 true freshman make varsity all of whom are MT guys. That fact the this state produced a BSC caliber CB and we got him is significant. Brott seems to be on his way as a top shelf OL, and we got him. I really liked how Ferriter played in the scrimmage and it remains to be seen if Sims ends up better at the end of the day. It's possible we actually won last year. I'm willing to say right now that we are ahead. JMO.
It's fun to speculate, but only time will tell, and I think that really means at least 2 full years.
That's true, but I don't recall anyone saying that when practically everyone, including the media, was saying um won the recruiting battle.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:03 pm

Big Sky preview podcasts — Montana State
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-prev ... ana-state/

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:02 pm

So I see where Holden Ryan has a pretty serious injury?????

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:11 am

RickRund wrote:So I see where Holden Ryan has a pretty serious injury?????
Yeah I'm not sure what to make of that or how serious they are. Torn labrum in both shoulders. Two surgeries two months apart. I think Daum missed the first week of practice due to injury also

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:50 am

8-25-After busy off-season, Daly looking to lock in
http://skylinesportsmt.com/after-busy-o ... o-lock-in/

8-26-Montana walk-ons making waves after one year at MSU
http://skylinesportsmt.com/walk-ons-mak ... ar-at-msu/

Big Sky preview podcasts — Montana State
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-prev ... ana-state/