Speedy RB verbals

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Speedy RB verbals

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:01 am

He reminds me of a shorter Shawn John. Dude has wheels and takes risks returning punts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:11 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:He reminds me of a shorter Shawn John. Dude has wheels and takes risks returning punts

I thought the same. Shawn would drive me crazy when he would run sideways. This kid got away with it in high school.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:43 am

He is Fast and Slippery. He may take risks but he is very slippery and hard to bring down. You can't just blast down the field and try and make the big hit on him on special teams because if you miss him he will be gone (seems like he knows that when he's running). No one gets a big hit on him because of his size and speed. He's actually pretty tough to bring down in some of those clips (toughness). A true home run threat every time he touches the ball.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:49 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:He is Fast and Slippery. He may take risks but he is very slippery and hard to bring down. You can't just blast down the field and try and make the big hit on him on special teams because if you miss him he will be gone (seems like he knows that when he's running). No one gets a big hit on him because of his size and speed. He's actually pretty tough to bring down in some of those clips (toughness). A true home run threat every time he touches the ball.
He squats over 400 lbs despite weighing 160 and being a junior. That'll break tackles. If you do the same thing, like run straight ahead, on every return you become predictable and easy to tackle. He's neither.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:24 am

catzfan55 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Don't look now but we already have 5 verbals.

Derek Marks - TE/DE (Montana)
Darrius Mossley - OL (Texas)
Karl Tucker - WR (Montana)
Sean Opland - RB/LB (Montana)
Dawonya Tucker - RB/WR (Texas)

What about Jake Sessions ( OL )
Yup forgot Jake! 6 verbals!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:38 am

2:48 in and I see he gets tackled for the first time. I thought he was going to the play before, but then, nope, he gone. Seriously was wondering if he scored touchdowns everytime he touched the ball.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:45 am

Pretty good vision, reading blocks as well... =D^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:46 am

allcat wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:He reminds me of a shorter Shawn John. Dude has wheels and takes risks returning punts

I thought the same. Shawn would drive me crazy when he would run sideways. This kid got away with it in high school.
Me three.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:36 pm

Reminds me of Barry Sanders

2024 Resume dominance

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:53 pm

lutecat wrote:
allcat wrote:

Me three.
He'll get away with it here, too. You guys almost sound like you're complaining about Shawn Johnson. :lol:

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Naw...but sometimes you held you breath. He also got much better about it his last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:06 pm

lutecat wrote:Naw...but sometimes you held you breath. He also got much better about it his last year.

Not me. SJ returning kicks was something I couldn't wait to see. As exciting a player as we've ever had. I loved it when he put out the max effort on his returns. Truly gave it the old college try. Beats having someone back there that just ran it into the pile.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:27 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
lutecat wrote:Naw...but sometimes you held you breath. He also got much better about it his last year.

Not me. SJ returning kicks was something I couldn't wait to see. As exciting a player as we've ever had. I loved it when he put out the max effort on his returns. Truly gave it the old college try. Beats having someone back there that just ran it into the pile.

:-k :-k :-k

I'd for sure give him top ten or maybe top five but i can think of a few players that I feel were maybe more exciting.

Edit: To be clear, I am a huge SJ fan, in fact I was beating the drum that he should have been starting RB all along.
Last edited by catatac on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:28 pm

lutecat wrote:2:48 in and I see he gets tackled for the first time. I thought he was going to the play before, but then, nope, he gone. Seriously was wondering if he scored touchdowns everytime he touched the ball.
The one thing that stuck out to me in his hudl vid was, until about 5 mins in, anyone who tried to tackle him above the waist failed... there's even one play where a defender (who's probably at least 6" taller and has a good 70+ lbs on him) plows him in the back... the kid didn't even move an inch! and boom he's gone... he maybe short, but at 170lbs he's packing a lot of leg power!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:52 pm

Well I'll be honest, I've really only been a Cat fan since 2001 when I started school at MSU.

SJ was the most exciting player I've seen during that time.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:06 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
lutecat wrote:
allcat wrote:

Me three.
He'll get away with it here, too. You guys almost sound like you're complaining about Shawn Johnson. :lol:
Haha I wasn't complaining at all. Shawn John was a home run threat every time he touched the ball.

Although he did make me really mad when he had the fumbling issues his sophomore year (I think sophomore)

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:10 pm

CelticCat wrote:Well I'll be honest, I've really only been a Cat fan since 2001 when I started school at MSU.

SJ was the most exciting player I've seen during that time.
I'd put him up there with McGhee, Prukop, Akpla, and Lulay. Maybe add Crawford in there.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Shawn was always dynamic, but I can't remember it working well when he ran East and West.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:53 pm

I know this is getting somewhat off track, but I find it fun to compare highlight videos of recruits, especially after one has finished his time at MSU, and a new recruit is being compared to him.

So here is SJ's highlight reel for comparison. You can tell it's him because he likes to slow up at about the 3-5 yard line after he's blown everyone away. :lol: He did that a lot at MSU.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:42 pm

allcat wrote:Shawn was always dynamic, but I can't remember it working well when he ran East and West.
Agree with this recollection. I didn't blame SJ however. Special teams coach apparently didn't focus him on north/south till he was a senior.