The 2015 Offensive Line

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

The 2015 Offensive Line

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:09 pm

I've always felt a football team can overcome many adversities, but a subpar offensive line isn't one of them. With Weidenaar, Godecke, Horn, Flynn and Eehoff returning we're looking at an OL with probably more than 100 starts! Looking back, way-way back, I don't recall a Bobcat line with so much experience and backed by some legit young talent.
Also looking back I recall a post game interview where the winning coach had just enjoyed a nearly 60 point blow-out. The interviewer mentioned the losing team was very young and, in fact, their offensive line consisted of two redshirt freshmen and three sophmores. He seemed to be warning the winner that these guys would be back for two more years and would be looking forward to a rematch! The winning coach just looked at him and said "sometimes young talent grows, but it's a curse if you have young talent who is getting badly beaten and they've already reached their potential."
So, our guys have been around for a long while. Has the talent grown? How much better will this line be now than two years ago? I don't have the techinical knowledge to comment. What I can do is really hope this will be one of the largest, dominant and most skillful lines in Bobcat history. I'm looking for comments from people who know what they are looking at. Thanks

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: The 2015 Offensive Line

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:24 pm

I definitely would not be able to comment on the technical aspects of being a good OL...

But I am willing to bet it is the largest OL in Bobcat History (highest average weight), and most combined starts by any OL in bobcat history.... usually that is a good starting point anyway.

They were good last year, this year they should be great. Not to mention a couple of these guys have a decent shot at the NFL, so the talent is there as well. JP Flynn might be the best NFL prospect we have had since Joey Thomas.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:13 pm

I think our biggest strength is our depth. Mahoney, Webster, Gillis and Hanson are all capable backups. We always seem to have injuries along the line (and everywhere else), so being deep is critical.

catzfan55
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catzfan55 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:28 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:I think our biggest strength is our depth. Mahoney, Webster, Gillis and Hanson are all capable backups. We always seem to have injuries along the line (and everywhere else), so being deep is critical.
With the incoming recruits of Brott , McFetridge, Perry & Wilkes the OL will have good
Future depth too. I see Wilkes in the mix quickly and Brott & McFetridge contriving quicker than we think. Coach
Eck was left with a full cupboard can't wait to see his future with us \:D/

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:39 pm

catzfan55 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:I think our biggest strength is our depth. Mahoney, Webster, Gillis and Hanson are all capable backups. We always seem to have injuries along the line (and everywhere else), so being deep is critical.
With the incoming recruits of Brott , McFetridge, Perry & Wilkes the OL will have good
Future depth too. I see Wilkes in the mix quickly and Brott & McFetridge contriving quicker than we think. Coach
Just an honest observation but Mitch Brott will probably be ahead of Wilkes starting out. Brott is the better athlete in my opinion. Wilkes struggles came last year because of his foot speed which he will need to improve to compete at Division 1. However, Wilkes is probably the best run-blocker over Brott and McFetridge. I guess it depends on where they want to put Wilkes to start his career. I know he has gotten bigger and stronger since his senior year so I hope they start him at guard. I love the potential of McFetridge and Brott at both tackle spots. Now Kash Perry? It all depends if he finally stops growing and starts to grow into his body. His knee problems were mostly growing problems. He is a large lump of clay that is incredibly intriguing because of his height and weight.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catzfan55
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catzfan55 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:10 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
catzfan55 wrote:
Just an honest observation but Mitch Brott will probably be ahead of Wilkes starting out. Brott is the better athlete in my opinion. Wilkes struggles came last year because of his foot speed which he will need to improve to compete at Division 1. However, Wilkes is probably the best run-blocker over Brott and McFetridge. I guess it depends on where they want to put Wilkes to start his career. I know he has gotten bigger and stronger since his senior year so I hope they start him at guard. I love the potential of McFetridge and Brott at both tackle spots. Now Kash Perry? It all depends if he finally stops growing and starts to grow into his body. His knee problems were mostly growing problems. He is a large lump of clay that is incredibly intriguing because of his height and weight.
I think u may be spot on Vim. I was impressed Wilkes came back his senior year
After his injury late in his jr year. I'm agree him at guard ... But think maybe hell
return back as a center?? Huge hands, long arms , I'm now thinking Center. Thks Vim
For all your Infos

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:25 am

I noted where Godecke is still recovering from foot surgery. Anyone know who backs him up? Thanks

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:26 pm

Welp. I'm glad I didn't include Joey Marinello in our depth. He's not on the roster.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:48 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Welp. I'm glad I didn't include Joey Marinello in our depth. He's not on the roster.
Well I guess that would possibly coincide with this tweet yesterday.
Jason Eck ‏@Coach_Eck · 21h21 hours ago
Looking for a walk-on OL for this fall. Message me if interested.
Too bad because Marinello was moving up the depth chart. Wonder what happened. We are down to Wade Webster out of that Oline class.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:50 pm

Looks like the roster is at 97.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:42 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
Too bad because Marinello was moving up the depth chart. Wonder what happened. We are down to Wade Webster out of that Oline class.

Also just noticed he was included in the countdown on 6/30. Which is the opposite of Dog Hanson. On the roster, but excluded in the countdown. :shrug:

catzfan55
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catzfan55 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:42 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:

Also just noticed he was included in the countdown on 6/30. Which is the opposite of Dog Hanson. On the roster, but excluded in the countdown. :shrug:
I'm I remembering right, are we down (2) OL now ??

GRZSLAYER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by GRZSLAYER » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:26 am

I hate to be the bad news bear, but our depth took a huge hit. It is said Marinello, Webster are gone from the team along with Oldenberger. Which we heard earlier. With 4 seniors this year the depth and starting line for next year just got ugly.

Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:58 am

GRZSLAYER wrote:

I hate to be the bad news bear, but our depth took a huge hit. It is said Marinello, Webster are gone from the team along with Oldenberger. Which we heard earlier. With 4 seniors this year the depth and starting line for next year just got ugly.
You heard Webster is gone too? He is still on the roster, that's all. If he is gone too then we did take a big hit. Good thing we recruited 4 in the off-season.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:50 am

GRZSLAYER wrote:

Who told you Webster is gone?

We have 10 capable OL on hand. And four true frosh. Three deep everywhere except center.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:00 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:

Who told you Webster is gone?

We have 10 capable OL on hand. And four true frosh. Three deep everywhere except center.
Yeah I want to know about Webster as well.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:14 am

Why did Marinello leave? Do these have anything to do with Coach Mac's departure?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:19 am

I can confirm that Joey Marinello has quit the team. Wade Webster is still a Bobcat.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:26 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I can confirm that Joey Marinello has quit the team. Wade Webster is still a Bobcat.
It's one of those situations that I'm happy and mad at the same time.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:40 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:I can confirm that Joey Marinello has quit the team. Wade Webster is still a Bobcat.
It's one of those situations that I'm happy and mad at the same time.
You just don't know what a kid is going through I guess. Joey definitely had a future at guard. Glad Wade is still a Bobcat! The coaches have high hopes for him and he arguably has been the best of that young group. Right now, after this year it looks like JP Flynn, Dylan Mahoney, Doug Hanson, Caleb Gillis, Dillon Fraley, and Wade Webster as our 6 best lineman. Hopefully, Brott, McFetridge, Wilkes, and Kash stick around to develop because we need another strong young class like Weidenaar, Godecke, Horn, and Eekhoff were.