An early signing period?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

An early signing period?

Post by DicTater » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:48 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recru ... ing-period

Good or bad for us? Discuss amongst yourselves.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: An early signing period?

Post by allcat » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:22 pm

DicTater wrote:http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recru ... ing-period

Good or bad for us? Discuss amongst yourselves.
you have no opinion?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

DicTater

Post by DicTater » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Oh, I have lots of opinions. On this, I'm not sure one way or the other. My initial reaction is I think it might be a good thing. It seems as though every year we have a few kids commit and then get pulled away by some sweet talking recruiter from a FBS school. And then there are kids who commit, especially to a big school, who get the rug pulled out from under them when they're told at the last minute that the school is going with someone else. The whole domino effect could be lessened by having an early signing period.

I think it would certainly help schools like MSU that work hard in uncovering under publicized talent and recruiting them hard from the get go. It'll be interesting to see what the FCS schools think about it.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:52 pm

I think it would make a heck of a lot more sense to have the early signing period sometime in the offseason, as opposed to during preparation for bowl games at the I-A level and while the playoffs are heating up at our level. It would also move a lot of the recruiting to the summer, when coaches are permitted to work with their current players on an extremely limited basis anyway, and when the recruits don't have to worry about high school classes or sports.

Plus, signing in the summer would give recruits a worry-free senior season to just work on their game instead of opening letters and going on visits. December signing actually pushes recruiting season further into the football season, which seems like it's counterproductive for everyone.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

DicTater

Post by DicTater » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:32 am

I agree that it probably makes more sense to have it in August. But, then there seems to be the issue of campus visits earlier for juniors, prior to even starting their senior year. Of course, it may be easier to impress California and Texas kids with a visit to Bozeman in august than in January.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:57 am

It would get rid of some of those last minute FBS offers and probably let these kids know exactly how they stand with their offers. If someone has an offer from a FBS and us and the FBS school tells them they have to wait until the Feb. signing day. Then that will tell him he isn't very high up on their recruiting board.

The timing in Dec. kinda sucks, but I think it's best for a school and recruit to have their senior season completed. Actually, I'm not sure when other states are done?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:31 am

If the date is pushed too early, it seems like a big disadvantage for the schools. Instead of one semester of unknown grades, now you have two. Not to mention how injuries or poor on-field performance during a senior year could affect recruiting. What about a late bloomer who needs a good senior year to earn a D1 scholly?
It seems best to have the senior season already played.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:22 pm

I'm actually in favor of this even though most of my educational career was in Georgia. This article does a decent job discussing all the arguments pro and con that were discussed by the Power 5 prior to implementation. I mean, let's face it, we have a kid coming to us from Texas 6A as a football player who also played basketball and the fact of the matter is his conference champion basketball team would beat half the Big Sky teams badly whether we like it or not or are willing to admit it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... to-the-sec

The biggest issue to me is seeing the high school All-Star games eliminated.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:54 pm

College football will remain without an early signing period for at least one more year.

After two days of debate, commissioners from the 10 FBS conferences tabled a proposal Wednesday that would have introduced an early signing period for the first time in the sport.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... d-proposal

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."