Attrition Happens

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Attrition Happens

Post by Mr Lisle » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Looking at the recruiting class announced in February, 2014 the following are not on the 2015 roster.

Trevin Thompson K
Matt Stewart P
Eric Prevost LB
Austin Oldenburger OL
Garret Marino DL
Wawa Leota DL
Anthony Knight RB

That's 7 of the 23, 30%. Some may have not shown up in the first place, injuries, grades, buried on the depth chart, home sickness, and "personal responsibility" are always major factors. Unfortunately, a few more will drop off along the way ultimately leaving about half the original signing class. However, later signees and walkons help fill the void. Two or three true freshman played major roles last season.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Attrition Happens

Post by HelenaCat » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:30 pm

What happened to Oldenburger? I knew of the others, but had not heard anything about Oldenburger.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Yes is does. I wonder what the average percentage of player retention is from year to year, and also what percent make it from full ride offer to a full playing career and graduation. I remember in the Kramer era there was one class where only three players were left standing from a decent sized recruiting class. That's crazy.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:15 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:Looking at the recruiting class announced in February, 2014 the following are not on the 2015 roster.

Trevin Thompson K
Matt Stewart P
Eric Prevost LB
Austin Oldenburger OL
Garret Marino DL
Wawa Leota DL
Anthony Knight RB

That's 7 of the 23, 30%. Some may have not shown up in the first place, injuries, grades, buried on the depth chart, home sickness, and "personal responsibility" are always major factors. Unfortunately, a few more will drop off along the way ultimately leaving about half the original signing class. However, later signees and walkons help fill the void. Two or three true freshman played major roles last season.
Of those, I thought Stewart and Oldenburger were still around. Hopefully it's just a roster glitch or someone was updating them and didn't add them back on? I can hope anyways.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:06 pm

catatac wrote:Yes is does. I wonder what the average percentage of player retention is from year to year, and also what percent make it from full ride offer to a full playing career and graduation. I remember in the Kramer era there was one class where only three players were left standing from a decent sized recruiting class. That's crazy.
Actually I think it was one kid standing from his first class. Coincidentally um had the same number of kids from I think the same class who made it 4 years.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:41 am

Having players leave is pretty common. When I came in the coaches said only half of us would graduate from MSU (they were trying to motivate us to be the 50% that graduated). Out of 22 incoming players 5 of us graduated... On the second night after freshmen practice (there use to be a week dedicated to incoming freshmen only practicing) one full-scholarship player from eastern Montana packed-up and left without telling anyone. College football is tougher than people think, and a lot of people can't hack it for one reason or another.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:54 am

The Butcher wrote:Having players leave is pretty common. When I came in the coaches said only half of us would graduate from MSU (they were trying to motivate us to be the 50% that graduated). Out of 22 incoming players 5 of us graduated... On the second night after freshmen practice (there use to be a week dedicated to incoming freshmen only practicing) one full-scholarship player from eastern Montana packed-up and left without telling anyone. College football is tougher than people think, and a lot of people can't hack it for one reason or another.
Agree, but I also think the culture has changed over the past several years.... for sure within the Bobcat program. I think at least some of that credit goes to Ash. From the recruiting process all the way through signing and those first practices, it seems like there is more of a sense of family - and the4 kids have already bought into it before they even get here. Players keep each other on board. I think it used to be more of... here's a full ride, see you in the fall, then just let the players all try to acclimate without any hand holding. I think if you look at the majority of Ash's recruiting classes I'd bet that a very high percentage of players stick it out if they are good enough and don't get injured.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:26 pm

The Butcher wrote:College football is tougher than people think
Some people, anyway.

I have this friend who believes that things like psychology, emotions, and fear of pain influence player performance at the professional level. To believe that, you have to assume that college sports are a cakewalk that any little nancy can just breeze through.

Me, I don't believe a word of my friend's idiot theory. I'm positive that a player who allows his performance to be influenced by things like that couldn't hack it on a Division I college team, and therefore would not sniff the pros.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers