Will Kane Ioane be the Chris Ash of the FCS?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Will Kane Ioane be the Chris Ash of the FCS?

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon May 18, 2015 9:14 am

Ash, who coached under Rob Ash at Drake, revived the Ohio St. defense last year and was a big component in the Buckeyes national title. OSU was 112th in pass defense in 2013, but improved to 29th under Ash.

Ioane doesn't have Ash's track record or experience, but he could bring similar skills. Both are big on details and teaching fundamentals.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Will Kane Ioane be the Chris Ash of the FCS?

Post by PHAT CAT » Mon May 25, 2015 3:20 pm

I think Kane is goin to have our D playing lights out.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue May 26, 2015 8:03 am

I think having Jody Owens on board is going to be a plus. He was a fiery player. They gotta get that unit back up to speed.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue May 26, 2015 9:40 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:I think having Jody Owens on board is going to be a plus. He was a fiery player. They gotta get that unit back up to speed.
I don't disagree one bit, but to play devil's advocate a little....if Jody was coached by Kane and Marshall, what was the difference between that group and how he was coached to be a fiery plaryer vs last year's group?

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue May 26, 2015 10:31 am

wbtfg wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:I think having Jody Owens on board is going to be a plus. He was a fiery player. They gotta get that unit back up to speed.
I don't disagree one bit, but to play devil's advocate a little....if Jody was coached by Kane and Marshall, what was the difference between that group and how he was coached to be a fiery plaryer vs last year's group?
I think Owens was a self-made fiery player and that his presence and attitude rubs off on everybody. I hope he has the same effect as a coach.

Despite what Daly, Schreibeis, Minter and Fletcher did, I think Owens was the best defensive player we've had in the past decade.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue May 26, 2015 5:20 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
I think Owens was a self-made fiery player and that his presence and attitude rubs off on everybody. I hope he has the same effect as a coach.

Despite what Daly, Schreibeis, Minter and Fletcher did, I think Owens was the best defensive player we've had in the past decade.
That's saying something. Definitely the best LB, but you may be right he may have been the most solid all around defender we had.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Tue May 26, 2015 8:41 pm

The tandem duo of Ioane and Owens carries so much nastiness swag, yikes.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Sat May 30, 2015 3:41 pm

CelticCat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

That's saying something. Definitely the best LB, but you may be right he may have been the most solid all around defender we had.
Not definitely. Just in a lot of peoples opinion. I can tell you where I sat, me and a lot of people thought we never lost a step with Singleton. Jody I think had the advantage of playing with a lot more talented group of guys that were able to stay healthy, It would be interesting to see what would happen if Jody played on last years team and Alex played with Shreibeis and Minter. I think it was the Davis game where Singleton came in for Owens and Wow. Jody was definitely one of the greats but for my money(and the SEAHAWKS } I would take Singleton :D :D

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:57 am

Bobcat Steve wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Not definitely. Just in a lot of peoples opinion. I can tell you where I sat, me and a lot of people thought we never lost a step with Singleton. Jody I think had the advantage of playing with a lot more talented group of guys that were able to stay healthy, It would be interesting to see what would happen if Jody played on last years team and Alex played with Shreibeis and Minter. I think it was the Davis game where Singleton came in for Owens and Wow. Jody was definitely one of the greats but for my money(and the SEAHAWKS } I would take Singleton :D :D
Nothing against Singleton, but I just thought Jody was a better leader and that made him better IMO. He just always seemed to have a ton of energy and was constantly communicating with his teammates. Owens was a team captain.

We may not have lost a step at the position, but the team IMO lagged when Owens graduated.