From the Athletic Director's Desk

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

norcal cat
BobcatNation Letterman

From the Athletic Director's Desk

Post by norcal cat » Thu May 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Vol. 1 of what is suppose to be a monthly newsletter. http://www.msubobcats.com/documents/201 ... df?id=2064

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: From the Athletic Director's Desk

Post by Phat Daddy » Fri May 15, 2015 8:34 am

I hope to be proven wrong, but I'll be a pessimist and say this feature will last about as long as the daily fall camp reports and the players by number. This will likely be done with the same frequency as the player bios are updated.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri May 15, 2015 11:37 am

I imagine if a lot of people read it and they get positive feedback from doing it, they will continue doing it. Otherwise, I'd assume it would fade away.

Sending them lots of topics for future newsletters as they requested is probably the best way to assure that future issues will come out.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri May 15, 2015 1:03 pm

They are asking you to send it questions, how about the whole serenity thread? If they want to know how, when and who updates that thing, ask him.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Sun May 17, 2015 10:31 am

The explanation of building the football schedule seems pretty flimsy to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun May 17, 2015 12:03 pm

FTG06' wrote:The explanation of building the football schedule seems pretty flimsy to me.

I guess i can't quite figure out why they would lie about it.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Sun May 17, 2015 12:06 pm

allcat wrote:
FTG06' wrote:The explanation of building the football schedule seems pretty flimsy to me.

I guess i can't quite figure out why they would lie about it.
Before I say anything else, I like that the AD is doing this. It shows openness in communicating with boosters and fans, which has been lacking during Field's tenure.

I think the scheduling problem is due to a lack of strategically looking ahead. Yes, it is hard to schedule teams, but it can be done with proper planning and forethought. We aren't the only team in the west that has a scheduling issue.

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon May 18, 2015 8:21 am

I like the schedule and am not too concerned about how it gets done. You can't predict when you're going to need a bye week. Sometimes the bye hurts because you're on a roll and get stagnant.

Last year we were 6-1 going into the bye and 2-3 coming out of it. Lost to Poly after the bye. In 2013 we crushed NAU prior to the bye then played flat vs WSU coming out. 2011 we were on a nine game winning streak, but lost grizz after the bye. We won 7 of 8 in 2010, then barely beat the grizz after a bye, then lost to NDSU after another bye.

Nothing shows that bye weeks help us.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon May 18, 2015 12:34 pm

Hmmmm.

If you think we perform poorly after a bye week, what's that tell you????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon May 18, 2015 12:52 pm

77matcat wrote:Hmmmm.

In my humble opinion, we don't play any better or worse coming off a bye. Ya, you get more time to prepare for the next opponent, and maybe get some players healthier.... but on the flip side of that you might kind of fall out of a groove, tough to keep focused in practice for two weeks, etc. Probably just balances out. Nothing against Tapatalk here but if our examples of us coming off a bye are.... beating WSU, beating the Griz, then losing to the Griz and losing to NDSU.... it is what it is.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Just a quick look, but under Ash, we are 6-2 the week after a bye during the regular season and 2-1 after a bye week going into the play-offs.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon May 18, 2015 1:42 pm

catatac wrote:
77matcat wrote:Hmmmm.

In my humble opinion, we don't play any better or worse coming off a bye. Ya, you get more time to prepare for the next opponent, and maybe get some players healthier.... but on the flip side of that you might kind of fall out of a groove, tough to keep focused in practice for two weeks, etc. Probably just balances out. Nothing against Tapatalk here but if our examples of us coming off a bye are.... beating WSU, beating the Griz, then losing to the Griz and losing to NDSU.... it is what it is.
Yeah it's neither here nor there. A lot of folks think the bye week is this magic potion and we need one somewhere in the middle or late-middle of the season. Maybe, maybe not.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon May 18, 2015 1:48 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Just a quick look, but under Ash, we are 6-2 the week after a bye during the regular season and 2-1 after a bye week going into the play-offs.
8-3, which is comparable to our overall record under Ash. It would be interesting to see our record for all games after the bye week. I think we're 5-6 the last two years. Not much out there to support the bye being good or bad for us.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon May 18, 2015 3:48 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Just a quick look, but under Ash, we are 6-2 the week after a bye during the regular season and 2-1 after a bye week going into the play-offs.
8-3, which is comparable to our overall record under Ash. It would be interesting to see our record for all games after the bye week. I think we're 5-6 the last two years. Not much out there to support the bye being good or bad for us.
?? We've played 11 games in two years after bye weeks? I don't understand what you're getting at here.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:50 pm

KittieKop wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
?? We've played 11 games in two years after bye weeks? I don't understand what you're getting at here.
I think he means all games after the open weeks. Last year we were 2-3. Year before 3-3. So 5-6 the last two years. ???

Maybe MSU reads too many press clippings over the open week.

Why does anyone call it a bye week? You get byes in tournaments and playoffs.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue May 19, 2015 7:23 am

TomCat88 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
I think he means all games after the open weeks. Last year we were 2-3. Year before 3-3. So 5-6 the last two years. ???

Maybe MSU reads too many press clippings over the open week.

Why does anyone call it a bye week? You get byes in tournaments and playoffs.
We were 5-2 going into the bye week in 2013 coming off a huge win over NAU. We went 2-3 after the bye and finished 7-5. Last year we were 5-2 (losses to EWU and Arkansas St.) going into bye and went 3-3 after. I'm not saying the bye is the reason, but it doesn't seem like it makes much difference.