Sporting News Preseason Poll, Cats #9

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Sporting News Preseason Poll, Cats #9

Post by LTown Cat » Thu May 14, 2015 11:00 am

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sporting News Preseason Poll, Cats #9

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:08 pm

When's the last time Idaho State was pre-season ranked higher than UM?

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Thu May 14, 2015 12:15 pm

This looks about right. I'd move Coastal up to 2 or 3, and I would not have ISU in the top 20. I would have Poly in the top 20. Everything else looks pretty reasonable.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 14, 2015 12:45 pm

Don't you love preseason polls? Given the Big Sky record in the playoffs the last two years, there are way too many ranked in this poll. I don't see Mercer, Furman or Western Carolina from the Southern and how about the lack of love for the Missouri Valley overall. And why all the CAA teams again?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu May 14, 2015 1:59 pm

I love seeing ISU getting some pre-season ranking attention, but I'm just not sold on them as a BSC power quite yet. It still seems like that would be such a hard place to recruit to.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu May 14, 2015 2:29 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:When's the last time Idaho State was pre-season ranked higher than UM?
That's hilarious, but ridiculous. I think Kramer is having an effect on the pick. Hes probably the most popular and well liked coach in the FCS.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu May 14, 2015 2:31 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:I love seeing ISU getting some pre-season ranking attention, but I'm just not sold on them as a BSC power quite yet. It still seems like that would be such a hard place to recruit to.
I congratulate Kramer on getting the team there. I remember when he coached here, we seemed to start high, fade, then finish well. I think they are rated too high and will go down some.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Thu May 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Cat Grad wrote:Don't you love preseason polls? Given the Big Sky record in the playoffs the last two years, there are way too many ranked in this poll. I don't see Mercer, Furman or Western Carolina from the Southern and how about the lack of love for the Missouri Valley overall. And why all the CAA teams again?
No love for MVFC? They have 6 teams in the top 25 more than any other conference correct?

1. NDSU
3. Ill St
10. Youngstown St
11. Northern Iowa
19. Indiana St
23. SDSU

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu May 14, 2015 4:09 pm

Surprised to see Ill State so high with Coprich suspended for the year. That is a big loss.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 14, 2015 4:48 pm

That's good respect for MSU. Huge difference between now and pre-2010. Not just in the polls, but the general scene around the state. Lots of Cat paraphernalia out there.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 14, 2015 5:50 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:Don't you love preseason polls? Given the Big Sky record in the playoffs the last two years, there are way too many ranked in this poll. I don't see Mercer, Furman or Western Carolina from the Southern and how about the lack of love for the Missouri Valley overall. And why all the CAA teams again?
No love for MVFC? They have 6 teams in the top 25 more than any other conference correct?

1. NDSU
3. Ill St
10. Youngstown St
11. Northern Iowa
19. Indiana St
23. SDSU
When is the last time a Missouri Valley team lost to a non Missouri Valley team? The entire conference ought to be in the top ten.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Thu May 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

1. NDSU
3. Ill St
10. Youngstown St
11. Northern Iowa
19. Indiana St
23. SDSU
When is the last time a Missouri Valley team lost to a non Missouri Valley team? The entire conference ought to be in the top ten.
Well the Grizzlies beat USD the last two years in a row and EWU destroyed SDSU in the playoffs two years ago....that's just to name a few from our own BSC

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu May 14, 2015 7:46 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

1. NDSU
3. Ill St
10. Youngstown St
11. Northern Iowa
19. Indiana St
23. SDSU
Well the Grizzlies beat USD the last two years in a row and EWU destroyed SDSU in the playoffs two years ago....that's just to name a few from our own BSC
Both those USU-UM games were close. And USD was 0-8 in conference. Their only D-1 win was against Northern Arizona. And then Ill St obliterated EWU in the Quarters.

MVFC was something like 22-2 out of conference last year. The fact that a top tier BSC team struggled with an MVFC bottom feeder is indicative of how well they ply. If the seeding committee had tried to keep conference teams from playing each other, the MVFC probably would have had all 4 teams in the semis, and it wouldn't even have been close.

EWU, MSU, and UM would struggle to go .500 in the MVFC-I think its pretty surprising that UNI and SDSU aren't in the top 10.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Thu May 14, 2015 7:55 pm

onceacat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

1. NDSU
3. Ill St
10. Youngstown St
11. Northern Iowa
19. Indiana St
23. SDSU
Both those USU-UM games were close. And USD was 0-8 in conference. Their only D-1 win was against Northern Arizona. And then Ill St obliterated EWU in the Quarters.

MVFC was something like 22-2 out of conference last year. The fact that a top tier BSC team struggled with an MVFC bottom feeder is indicative of how well they ply. If the seeding committee had tried to keep conference teams from playing each other, the MVFC probably would have had all 4 teams in the semis, and it wouldn't even have been close.

EWU, MSU, and UM would struggle to go .500 in the MVFC-I think its pretty surprising that UNI and SDSU aren't in the top 10.

Thanks for your opinion. The fact of the matter is that a poster stated the MVFC got no love. I simply pointed out that they have 6 teams in the top 25, more than any other conference. After that, said poster claimed no one has beat them out of their conference. I simply named a few who have. Sucks when facts get in the way of good stories.

lakesbison

Post by lakesbison » Mon May 25, 2015 11:47 am

CelticCat wrote:Surprised to see Ill State so high with Coprich suspended for the year. That is a big loss.

He's not suspended will play..

So Montana state #9
Montana #15

Do I even bother trying to go watch that NDSU/UM game??

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon May 25, 2015 1:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:Surprised to see Ill State so high with Coprich suspended for the year. That is a big loss.
I read the other day that he's no longer suspended. pled guilty. got some community service and some fines; and apparently a second chance by the head coach.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon May 25, 2015 2:04 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

1. NDSU
3. Ill St
10. Youngstown St
11. Northern Iowa
19. Indiana St
23. SDSU

Thanks for your opinion. The fact of the matter is that a poster stated the MVFC got no love. I simply pointed out that they have 6 teams in the top 25, more than any other conference. After that, said poster claimed no one has beat them out of their conference. I simply named a few who have. Sucks when facts get in the way of good stories.
Onceacat stated statistics that bear out the fact that in all probability the MVFC ought to have their entire conference ranked in the top ten. They did not receive the respect they deserve. Our conference is ranked much too high based upon their playoff history over the last two years.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon May 25, 2015 2:15 pm

lakesbison wrote:

So Montana state #9
Montana #15

If you can get tickets it will definitely be worth watching. Didn't the Bison average over 30 points a game last year in spite of contolling the ball and clock the second half of every game until the playoffs?

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon May 25, 2015 2:16 pm

lakesbison wrote:

So Montana state #9
Montana #15

Because....
Missoula is a long bus ride from Fargo? or
Tickets will be hard to come by? or
The outcome (#15) is predictable or...
Maybe you're just talking about watching at a local tavern.
Yes, you should bother...
I think this will be a great game. The griz should be at least as good as last year and the 22-10 loss to NDSU in Fargo last year was anything but a blow out. Also, you might find the stadium and atmosphere in missoula surprising.

lakesbison

Post by lakesbison » Mon May 25, 2015 8:19 pm

yea, us NDSU fans have been to TCF Minnesota, Iowa State and Kansas State the past 3 years with 55-65,000 in big 10/big 12 environments and won all 3, (2 of them easily). SO montana is "meh" to most of us, really wanted another FBS game.

National tv, been there done that like, 12 times in last 4 years plus 2 espn gamedays. "meh"

Mountains? its 1 of the last weeks at the gorgeous lake.

NDSU is favored by 15, returns entire offense cept for RB & 1 OL .