Montana Recruits 2016

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

msufaithful
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Montana Recruits 2016

Post by msufaithful » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:57 am

bobcat99 wrote:
msufaithful wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
msufaithful wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:We didn't get the best RB in the state.

Sessions is probably the best OL, and I like him, but it was a weak year for OL instate IMO. I think Benson, if healthy, is a true impact player. Depending on how he's used, Chapman could be an impact player. Everybody else is most likely a solid starter at best, with the exception of Opland (depends what position). Pretty good if you ask me. I do struggle with giving Padmos a scholarship and not Bradshaw.

I believe you recruit for what you need, and you try to get the best player possible for those positions and scholarships available in those areas. I believe MSU picked up the best of the Montana kids in each position. They have a certain amount of scholarships for each position and they try to work within them. If you struggle with Padmos getting a scholarship he his in the special teams portion of scholarships they only give out three. Unless Bradshaw can punt/kick or long snap you are comparing apples to oranges.
I just can't agree that Opland > Grinde.

And what I'm trying to say regarding Padmos/Bradshaw is that I think Padmos would have most likely walked on here. I would have given his scholarship to Bradshaw, but that's just me. I could be wrong too! That's just the way I see it.
I don't know if Padmos would have walk on but,for sake of argument if he had a PWO, that scholarship would have not been used for any other position other then the special teams Kicker punter or long snapper. Each position group gets so many scholarship, during Junior day last March the Linebacker group were told that there was only one scholarship available for the 2016 class. They were told that it doesn't mean only one person would get that scholly it could be broken out. And that's what I'm trying to explain.
Maybe that's how Ash did things, but we don't know if that's how Choate will.

And that's kind of a dumb way to do it, if you don't leave yourself wiggle room. You're telling me if two great linebackers wanted to sign, they would only take one? Sure that's fine if you're loaded at that position (we're not). I just hate seeing good homegrown talent that would have stayed here if we offered money go to the Griz bc they offered it first. I hope, and think, they learned a good lesson here.
This is common practice with a most of the universities. Hate to say it but it's a business that they all play with 17-20 year olds. they have their board with their top 4-5 at each position and knowing how many scholarship will be going out to each position. I've heard it many times, they want me to walk on bc they don't have a scholarship for me, but the next day they sign a different kid at a different position.
I really hate any good talent going to the Dark Pink but it happens. I really feel that MSU missed on Lewis and LeTexier but a again they only had one LB scholarship to give out and both of them had PWO offers.

Any Montana Kid that goes to Montana State University is homegrown.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:35 am

Updated the board. Only remaining top uncommitted players in my mind are Payton O'Reilly (MLB) and Devin Maua (DE/DT). We did very well in Montana recruiting this year.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:37 am

If you guys know of anymore kids who signed with NAIA schools, etc., let me know!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:15 pm

So I noticed there aren't very many people left to be PWO's. And since we have a history of having some in the past become studs........? Is that not going to happen here?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:37 pm

lutecat wrote:So I noticed there aren't very many people left to be PWO's. And since we have a history of having some in the past become studs........? Is that not going to happen here?
Well actually an Egriz poster (grizpack) and I actually had a discussion about the Montana talent this year. In our opinion, we agreed it is top heavy this year. In my list, it only looks like 16 kids got scholarship consideration from Montana and/or Montana State. Two confirmed PWO's going to the Griz, Jace Lewis and Trase LeTexier, are both borderline Big Sky talent meaning they should develop into players. They are definitely good enough. Also, a lot of Montana kids who could have possibly been a PWO to either school have decided to take scholarship offers from the NAIA (Montana Tech, Carrol, Rocky and Western all have good players). If I could predict who is going to be the next Chad Newell or Mac Bignell, I would but it is hard. A player I didn't even recognize could walk-on in the fall and become an All-Big Sky player later in his career. Right now, the players who are committing to each program (MSU and UM) are the best "on-paper" players in the state. I would still expect to see a few additions to the PWO list on signing day. I just don't know who those could be at this point.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:54 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
lutecat wrote:So I noticed there aren't very many people left to be PWO's. And since we have a history of having some in the past become studs........? Is that not going to happen here?
Well actually an Egriz poster (grizpack) and I actually had a discussion about the Montana talent this year. In our opinion, we agreed it is top heavy this year. In my list, it only looks like 16 kids got scholarship consideration from Montana and/or Montana State. Two confirmed PWO's going to the Griz, Jace Lewis and Trase LeTexier, are both borderline Big Sky talent meaning they should develop into players. They are definitely good enough. Also, a lot of Montana kids who could have possibly been a PWO to either school have decided to take scholarship offers from the NAIA (Montana Tech, Carrol, Rocky and Western all have good players). If I could predict who is going to be the next Chad Newell or Mac Bignell, I would but it is hard. A player I didn't even recognize could walk-on in the fall and become an All-Big Sky player later in his career. Right now, the players who are committing to each program (MSU and UM) are the best "on-paper" players in the state. I would still expect to see a few additions to the PWO list on signing day. I just don't know who those could be at this point.
Bingo. Talent evaluation and development is the hardest thing in coaching college football. For example, Carson Wentz. Goes from a 0 start kid who no one heard of coming out of High School to a possible First Round, maybe even Top 10 Draft Pick.
There are just so many changes that happen in a young man between the ages of 17 and 22. Physical, Mental, Emotional, Academic, Spiritual, etc.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:19 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Speaking of egriz, I checked out their board for the first time since the season ended to see how they viewed their recruits. What surprised me is that there is a thread where MSU is being mocked as a Frontier Conference school for offering so many in-state players scholarships. I remember within the last decade when those same fans were calling MSU "MSU-Boz Angeles" because of Kramer's focus on out of state players. Apparently now UM doesn't need to recruit Montana kids heavily? Is that the gist you get over there, since I saw some of your posts?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:22 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Bingo. Talent evaluation and development is the hardest thing in coaching college football. For example, Carson Wentz. Goes from a 0 start kid who no one heard of coming out of High School to a possible First Round, maybe even Top 10 Draft Pick.
There are just so many changes that happen in a young man between the ages of 17 and 22. Physical, Mental, Emotional, Academic, Spiritual, etc.
Even harder than winning?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:55 pm

PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Speaking of egriz, I checked out their board for the first time since the season ended to see how they viewed their recruits. What surprised me is that there is a thread where MSU is being mocked as a Frontier Conference school for offering so many in-state players scholarships. I remember within the last decade when those same fans were calling MSU "MSU-Boz Angeles" because of Kramer's focus on out of state players. Apparently now UM doesn't need to recruit Montana kids heavily? Is that the gist you get over there, since I saw some of your posts?
There's no logic with that bunch. Don't even try.

They "think" and I use that term loosely, that since MSU hired a bunch of Frontier conf. Coaches, their talent eval skills are only that high. And to further their "thinking" they believe that the players UM got from MT were the only one's with D1 talent and the rest were NAIA level talent that MSU got. Oh and we're back to not being their rival. [emoji849]

This hubris from a team that hasn't even won a conference title since '09

Gawd I hope Choate gets the job done. Those sons o bitches need to get their dicks drug through the dirt for at least 5 years.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:29 pm

allcat wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Even harder than winning?
What's that?
:-)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Doc3kgt
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Doc3kgt » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:49 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
There's no logic with that bunch. Don't even try.

They "think" and I use that term loosely, that since MSU hired a bunch of Frontier conf. Coaches, their talent eval skills are only that high. And to further their "thinking" they believe that the players UM got from MT were the only one's with D1 talent and the rest were NAIA level talent that MSU got. Oh and we're back to not being their rival. [emoji849]

This hubris from a team that hasn't even won a conference title since '09

Gawd I hope Choate gets the job done. Those sons o bitches need to get their dicks drug through the dirt for at least 5 years.
5 years wouldn't be long enough. They need a serious sustained ass whooping to temper those egos.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:00 pm

In order to recognize your ass has been wumped, you have to have at least a hint of intelligence.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:00 pm

thefrank1 wrote:In order to recognize your ass has been wumped, you have to have at least a hint of intelligence.
Good point

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:08 pm

PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
They can't admit it if we do something well or right.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:41 am

bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
They can't admit it if we do something well or right.
I've broken into Egriz and I will say that there are good people over there. People that compliment recruits, keep things in perspective, etc. As for others? Not so much.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:24 am

I looks like Devin Maua, the DE/DT from Billings Senior, will be a Griz so the only remaining uncommitted Top 20 player from Montana is Payton O'Reilly. We will know soon enough. I have heard there is a strong chance he will go to Miami of Ohio.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:43 am

VimSince03 wrote:I looks like Devin Maua, the DE/DT from Billings Senior, will be a Griz so the only remaining uncommitted Top 20 player from Montana is Payton O'Reilly. We will know soon enough. I have heard there is a strong chance he will go to Miami of Ohio[/u].
Sounds like a smart kid with money.

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Having the kid show you that NLI sure makes things real, really fast.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:11 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:Having the kid show you that NLI sure makes things real, really fast.
Yeah, what a fun experience. Not many kids get to go through that. Hopefully Sean savors these times!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:05 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:Having the kid show you that NLI sure makes things real, really fast.
Yeah, what a fun experience. Not many kids get to go through that. Hopefully Sean savors these times!
I hope he knows we are all very excited to have him as a Bobcat!