Montana Recruits 2016

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

msufaithful
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Montana Recruits 2016

Post by msufaithful » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:14 am

[
HelenaCat95 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Guys who missed the cut:

Justin May - Chester Joplin Inverness (will probably fit WR better in college)
Bridger Coffman - Sidney (good back who can bust a big run; a good wrestler; lacks size)
Luke Weber - Forsyth (Champion wrestler; lacks size)
Josh McCracken - Kalispell Flathead (Chris Park barely beat him out; McCracken is a solid back with decent speed)
Nick Winfield - Helena High (May be transferring to Jefferson for his senior year)
Angus Lund - Wibaux (from a Class C power; keeping an eye on his senior year)

Good enough to be in the top 8?

Balue Chapman - starts at running back for Bozeman but he will most likely be a defensive player in college and he may even move their full-time for his senior season.
Brian Fauntleroy - like I said in the Chris Park post, Brian is a better defensive player
Nick Winfield has transferred to Jefferson. He should probably be replaced on this list with Nick Van Horssen from Helena High. Fast, and good size...but needs a very good year in order to crack the other list.

Really appreciate the work you've done. The comparison to current/former Bobcat players is especially helpful. Thanks Vim!!
[

Why would you take Nick Winfield off the list just because he transfer to another school? I believe he has offers from some of the NAIA school already. Just because Nick transfer to a another school doesn't mean his football skills go away. And I hope Van Horssen has a great year they will need to get a fullback to block for him, and probably before the year is out Van Horssen will be playing fullback blocking for the Arnston kid!!!!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 am

msufaithful wrote:[
HelenaCat95 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Guys who missed the cut:

Justin May - Chester Joplin Inverness (will probably fit WR better in college)
Bridger Coffman - Sidney (good back who can bust a big run; a good wrestler; lacks size)
Luke Weber - Forsyth (Champion wrestler; lacks size)
Josh McCracken - Kalispell Flathead (Chris Park barely beat him out; McCracken is a solid back with decent speed)
Nick Winfield - Helena High (May be transferring to Jefferson for his senior year)
Angus Lund - Wibaux (from a Class C power; keeping an eye on his senior year)

Good enough to be in the top 8?

Balue Chapman - starts at running back for Bozeman but he will most likely be a defensive player in college and he may even move their full-time for his senior season.
Brian Fauntleroy - like I said in the Chris Park post, Brian is a better defensive player
Nick Winfield has transferred to Jefferson. He should probably be replaced on this list with Nick Van Horssen from Helena High. Fast, and good size...but needs a very good year in order to crack the other list.

Really appreciate the work you've done. The comparison to current/former Bobcat players is especially helpful. Thanks Vim!!
[

Why would you take Nick Winfield off the list just because he transfer to another school? I believe he has offers from some of the NAIA school already. Just because Nick transfer to a another school doesn't mean his football skills go away. And I hope Van Horssen has a great year they will need to get a fullback to block for him, and probably before the year is out Van Horssen will be playing fullback blocking for the Arnston kid!!!!
You're absolutely right....I wrote that the wrong way. My mistake.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:47 am

rollo_tumasi wrote:Michael's dad ran track for MSU as well!!
I was wondering if this was Jamie's boy. When I read that Michael was a hurdler as well, it fit, but was unsure of how old his kids were. If Michael has the same work ethic and drive his father had he wwould be a great addition to the Bobcats!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:34 pm

Jake Sessions
‏@jsesh64
Verbally committed to the Montana State Bobcats!!! Super pumped! #BobcatNation #gocats
https://twitter.com/jsesh64

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat1994
New Recruit

Post by Cat1994 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:33 am

How about Butte Central's Cole Harper? Playing WR he's got the hands, the springs, the speed, the smarts, the readings and seeing the whole field. He can make plays by just getting the ball to him. A 4.0 plus student athlete. He's the reason BC beat Whitefish in the playoffs to advance to the chipper. And, Billings Central stuck 3 guys on him when they played BC. Billings Central's game plan was "do not let the ball get into Cole Harper's hands." Cole Harper should be on your Top List for 2016 WR and Top 50.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:34 am

Cat1994 wrote:How about Butte Central's Cole Harper? Playing WR he's got the hands, the springs, the speed, the smarts, the readings and seeing the whole field. He can make plays by just getting the ball to him. A 4.0 plus student athlete. He's the reason BC beat Whitefish in the playoffs to advance to the chipper. And, Billings Central stuck 3 guys on him when they played BC. Billings Central's game plan was "do not let the ball get into Cole Harper's hands." Cole Harper should be on your Top List for 2016 WR and Top 50.
The list will change as the season goes on. However, saying Cole Harper was the sole reason BC beat Whitefish is a bit off, given the performances of Kyle Harrington and Marcus Ferriter. It was a team win that day for BC. Cole will get attention when I do WRs. I like when fans get on here to fight for kids that didn't make a list. It usually means that kid is a popular player and deserves a second look so thanks Cat1994! And remember, my list is only my opinion so we may just simply disagree on certain players.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:01 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Cat1994 wrote:How about Butte Central's Cole Harper? Playing WR he's got the hands, the springs, the speed, the smarts, the readings and seeing the whole field. He can make plays by just getting the ball to him. A 4.0 plus student athlete. He's the reason BC beat Whitefish in the playoffs to advance to the chipper. And, Billings Central stuck 3 guys on him when they played BC. Billings Central's game plan was "do not let the ball get into Cole Harper's hands." Cole Harper should be on your Top List for 2016 WR and Top 50.
The list will change as the season goes on. However, saying Cole Harper was the sole reason BC beat Whitefish is a bit off, given the performances of Kyle Harrington and Marcus Ferriter. It was a team win that day for BC. Cole will get attention when I do WRs. I like when fans get on here to fight for kids that didn't make a list. It usually means that kid is a popular player and deserves a second look so thanks Cat1994! And remember, my list is only my opinion so we may just simply disagree on certain players.
I disagree. Your list is also my list, because I have zero knowledge on any of these high school kids. I appreciate the effort to analyze them. I don't see how anybody can really analyze kids from the entire state and think that when someone advocates for any kid they have much more knowledge, as well as bias, about that kid than most of us. Remember that a kid from Westby was the most valuable player in one of our NC's. I mean where the hell is Westby?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Cat1994
New Recruit

Post by Cat1994 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks VimSince03. I like your opinions. You work hard on your lists and do a lot of research. Marcus Ferriter has a bright future with the Cats. No doubt he was a big part of BC reaching the chipper. And, Kyle Harrington is an animal. The BC vs Whitefish game was sluggish until Cole Harper made a brilliant catch in the back of the end zone. That seemed to spark BC and they went on a tear and won. Always, Thank You for all the news you post. It is usually spot on.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:08 pm

allcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
I disagree. Your list is also my list, because I have zero knowledge on any of these high school kids. I appreciate the effort to analyze them. I don't see how anybody can really analyze kids from the entire state and think that when someone advocates for any kid they have much more knowledge, as well as bias, about that kid than most of us. Remember that a kid from Westby was the most valuable player in one of our NC's. I mean where the hell is Westby?
You mean Les Leineger of THE Westby Rangers! (now the Westby-Grenora Thunder) Westby is the most Northeastern town in Montana.
I don't see how anybody can really analyze kids from the entire state and think that when someone advocates for any kid they have much more knowledge, as well as bias, about that kid than most of us.
So many factors go into these Montana kids getting recruited at the next level and one of the biggest is how they perform their senior year...which hasn't even happened yet. It isn't too hard to analyze the Top 10-15 in this list because they are the best of the best. But after that? I'm honestly projecting where I think they might end up after their senior seasons. Its a total guessing game.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Cat1994 wrote:Thanks VimSince03. I like your opinions. You work hard on your lists and do a lot of research. Marcus Ferriter has a bright future with the Cats. No doubt he was a big part of BC reaching the chipper. And, Kyle Harrington is an animal. The BC vs Whitefish game was sluggish until Cole Harper made a brilliant catch in the back of the end zone. That seemed to spark BC and they went on a tear and won. Always, Thank You for all the news you post. It is usually spot on.
Thanks Cat1994! I went back today and watched Cole's highlights. Excellent hands! A very fluid and natural ball catcher.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:18 pm

Brennen Rupp ‏@brennen_james
Congrats to Sean Opland on his commitment to play football at @montanastate young man has a bright future. Looking forward to covering him.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:30 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Congrats to Sean Opland on his commitment to play football at @montanastate young man has a bright future. Looking forward to covering him.

Has some nice runs.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:32 am

kwcat wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:

Has some nice runs.
Again get excited about this verbal! Sean is an outstanding player on a poor team. Colter said he was a standout at the MSU camp at both running back and linebacker. And he is fast. I have him pegged as the second best running back prospect in next year's class right behind Grinde (who is most likely going Ivy League).

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:24 pm

Love it. Does he project as rb or lb?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:36 pm

wbtfg wrote:Love it. Does he project as rb or lb?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
More of a running back than a linebacker to me but others may disagree. Here is what Colter wrote about him at Bobcat camp:
Sean Opland, Troy — Opland is a little shorter than his listed height of 6-foot-1 — he measured in at 5-11, 193 — but he’s a very good and polished athlete, particularly for a Class B player. He was among the most fluid linebackers, particularly through the hips and with his change of direction. He was also the standout of an underwhelming group of running backs. His fundamentals carrying the ball are good — he keeps the pigskin high and tight. He has quick feet and explosive cuts, two necessities for his upright running style.

Opland is also a standout track athlete where he’s competed against athletes from larger schools. He won the 100 and 400 meters at the Archie Row Invite, Flathead High’s longstanding large meet. He won the Class B title in the 200 (22.60), finished second in the 100 (11.2), 400 (49.49) and high jump (6-2).

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:16 pm

Very athletic. He also just missed scoring in the TJ. When's the last time MSU had a player from Troy?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:37 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Very athletic. He also just missed scoring in the TJ. When's the last time MSU had a player from Troy?
Sorry, but what is a TJ?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:39 pm

allcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Very athletic. He also just missed scoring in the TJ. When's the last time MSU had a player from Troy?
Sorry, but what is a TJ?
Triple Jump?

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:44 pm

coachouert wrote:
allcat wrote:
Sorry, but what is a TJ?
Triple Jump?
Thanks, I kept running it through my head and could come up with nothing. It's part of why I don't text.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:41 am

Opland was also second team all Western B in hoops.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber