Montana Recruits 2016

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

77matcat
Member # Retired

Montana Recruits 2016

Post by 77matcat » Thu May 21, 2015 6:29 am

I know that most of these players don't look as good as their larger school cohorts both in and out of state and at this point in their lives most probably aren't. But competition makes most folks what they are and let's face it the level of play at these levels isn't usually stellar.

Would love to be able to take more of these guys and be patient with them. A couple of years of development can create great skilled players with huge hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana Recruits 2016

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu May 21, 2015 7:15 am

77matcat wrote:I know that most of these players don't look as good as their larger school cohorts both in and out of state and at this point in their lives most probably aren't. But competition makes most folks what they are and let's face it the level of play at these levels isn't usually stellar.

Would love to be able to take more of these guys and be patient with them. A couple of years of development can create great skilled players with huge hearts.

Exactly why we need 7 on 7 ball in Montana. Basically a football travel team. All the football hotbeds around the country do that and it's a huge step we're missing in the process. It's big down south. you can put your own team together with the top kids from a rural area and play teams from the bigger towns. Great competition and more playing time. Football's version of 3 on 3 basketball.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:21 am

There are some 7 on 7 tournaments scattered around MT. Increasing the number of tournaments and getting them organized better would be good for recruits.

Glacier has been going to a team camp in Spokane the past few years instead of the ones here in MT. Just part of why they are so good.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu May 21, 2015 3:53 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
77matcat wrote:I know that most of these players don't look as good as their larger school cohorts both in and out of state and at this point in their lives most probably aren't. But competition makes most folks what they are and let's face it the level of play at these levels isn't usually stellar.

Exactly why we need 7 on 7 ball in Montana. Basically a football travel team. All the football hotbeds around the country do that and it's a huge step we're missing in the process. It's big down south. you can put your own team together with the top kids from a rural area and play teams from the bigger towns. Great competition and more playing time. Football's version of 3 on 3 basketball.
Interesting. Sounds like a good avenue to take.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:Grinde and Warp are the two that are getting regional looks right now.

If UM or msu signs either or both they will win the instate recruiting battle.
Watched Warp play bball a lot over the years, due to his relationship with my brother, and I will have to admit I am a bit underwhelmed with his athletic ability and speed. Granted I haven't saw him play high school football, and everybody says he is a better football player. He has good height but he would have to put on some muscle to take hits in the big sky or any division for that matter, which is usually the case for most high school kids. Overall in my opinion he doesnt fit the big time talent, which is contrary to what most think due to the interest he has gotten from some Pac 12 schools and the big sky.
Never have seen Warp play but I did see Luke May play last year. He is damn near a clone of Jake Bleskin. A true gunslinger of the high school ranks and definitely has the athletic talent and arm strength to make a push as the best QB out of Montana next year. And boy can he throw the javelin!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 pm

cat_bracket
That's not a bad idea, but most of these teams are funded by shoe companies, and then when established, by the players on the team who make it to the NFL or the business world and donate back to them. Pulling together a team from Montana would be very expensive, since they are also expected to practice together prior to the camps, and need coaching year-round after the HS football season ends.

A team of rural Montana kids at a 7 on 7 summer camp would of course play better competition against a team from Helena, but I'm not sure a team from Dallas, TX would want to spend a few hours playing against a team of Frontier and Big Sky Conference players, since the idea of these camps is to get players exposed to college programs.

You're correct in the importance of 7 on 7 camps, but I don't think it applies to Montana HS players. Especially when many small-school kids are the best football, basketball, and/or track/baseball player in the school.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu May 21, 2015 9:17 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Glacier has been going to a team camp in Spokane the past few years instead of the ones here in MT. Just part of why they are so good.
Why are they so good? Kalispell was a non-factor in football 25 years ago with only one high school. Really good basketball teams, though, and won state my senior year of HS. Is there a population explosion in Kalispell? What is it?

What a ride

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:32 pm

PapaG wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Why are they so good? Kalispell was a non-factor in football 25 years ago with only one high school. Really good basketball teams, though, and won state my senior year of HS. Is there a population explosion in Kalispell? What is it?
Ha. Bozeman sucked back then too!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri May 22, 2015 6:03 am

PapaG wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
They are good because they scored a good coach. Why does Kalispell suck, they have all the opportunities as Glacier.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

77matcat
Member # Retired

Montana Recruits 2016

Post by 77matcat » Fri May 22, 2015 6:33 am

Papa you stated:

You're correct in the importance of 7 on 7 camps, but I don't think it applies to Montana HS players. Especially when many small-school kids are the best football, basketball, and/or track/baseball player in the school.

Papa....sooooooo if these kids are the best in their environment, isn't the idea to help them to continue to develop and improve by exposing them to a higher level of play?????

Your statement is confusing

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:24 pm

New post on 8-Man kids today!
These are all of the Class C (8-Man) returning All-Staters that are juniors.

Arlee – Patrick BigSam (WR/LB), Brad Brazill (OL/DE)
Belt – Koltin Haugrose (WR/DB), Matt Metrione (QB/LB/DB)
Broadus – Seth Bayles (QB/DB)
Charlo – Jade Smith (RB/LB)
Chester-Joplin-Inverness (CJI) – Justin May (RB/LB/DB)
Chinook – Jesse Daniels (OL/DE), Kevin Young (DL)
Ennis – Dustin Wham (C/DT)
Fairview – Ben Hardy (TE/DE), Jon Lebsock (OL/LB)
Gardiner – Jarred Hurst (OG/DT)
Power-Dutton-Brady (PDB) – Chase Rossmiller (WR/DB), Tarren Lee (LB)
Simms – Erik Pschernig (WR/LB/DB), Jake Bloom (WR/LB)
Twin Bridges – Tracen Eggers (WR)
Wibaux – Angus Lund (RB)

Class C (8-Man) Obersvations - Fairview, Belt, Simms, and CJI are my four favorites. Those teams contain some good ball players that should have a shot at Division 1 ball. I would say that it will be Belt over Simms for the Class C crown. Do not know a ton about these teams so if area guys can provide input feel free.
Top 10 in 8-Man

1. Justin May (RB or LB)
2. Jake Bloom (DE or LB)
3. Matt Metrione (DB)
4. Erik Pschernig (WR or DB)
5. Koltin Haugrose (WR or DB)
6. Ben Hardy (TE or DE)
7. Jarred Hurst (OL or DL)
8. Dustin Wham (C or DT)
9. Jesse Daniels (OL or DE)
10. Angus Lund (RB)

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri May 22, 2015 5:20 pm

77matcat wrote:Papa you stated:

Papa....sooooooo if these kids are the best in their environment, isn't the idea to help them to continue to develop and improve by exposing them to a higher level of play?????

I meant that a lot of small-town kids play more than football during the year. For example, I'm guessing that many still play baseball in the summers. 7 on 7 teams are a spring/summer obligation, and most kids who would join are forgoing playing basketball and baseball. At least that's the case here in Oregon, where it's rare to have a two-sport, let alone 3-sport, star athlete anymore.

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri May 22, 2015 5:51 pm

PapaG wrote:

I meant that a lot of small-town kids play more than football during the year. For example, I'm guessing that many still play baseball in the summers. 7 on 7 teams are a spring/summer obligation, and most kids who would join are forgoing playing basketball and baseball. At least that's the case here in Oregon, where it's rare to have a two-sport, let alone 3-sport, star athlete anymore.
That is the case in Georgia and Tennessee PapaG. I'm sitting in the bleachers in Laurel watching the consolidated A and C State Track Meet today and thought about how track is just an afterthought for kids in Georgia. Their spring football and football camps are mandatory if a kid expects to see the field in the fall although once in a while you'll see a kid play baseball but usually that was the case if the football coach also coached the baseball team in the schools I worked in. I believe Mark Richt has his 16 and 17 recruiting classes complete already based upon kids who attend his camps primarily.

Anyway, I understand what you're stating but I believe Stitt has a 7 on 7 camp scheduled in Missoula this year.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri May 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:

That is the case in Georgia and Tennessee PapaG. I'm sitting in the bleachers in Laurel watching the consolidated A and C State Track Meet today and thought about how track is just an afterthought for kids in Georgia. Their spring football and football camps are mandatory if a kid expects to see the field in the fall although once in a while you'll see a kid play baseball but usually that was the case if the football coach also coached the baseball team in the schools I worked in. I believe Mark Richt has his 16 and 17 recruiting classes complete already based upon kids who attend his camps primarily.

Anyway, I understand what you're stating but I believe Stitt has a 7 on 7 camp scheduled in Missoula this year.
I forgot about track, too. Great point. It will be interesting to see how UM's 7 on 7 camp goes this summer, in terms of what level of players show up for it. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but it was much easier to get some money for college playing baseball than it was football and basketball, at least in Billings. Out of my last Scarlets team, we had 10 graduating seniors, and all of us at least had some sort of opportunity to play collegiate baseball and get some tuition and/or board paid for in the process.

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri May 22, 2015 6:05 pm

PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:

I forgot about track, too. Great point. It will be interesting to see how UM's 7 on 7 camp goes this summer, in terms of what level of players show up for it. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but it was much easier to get some money for college playing baseball than it was football and basketball, at least in Billings. Out of my last Scarlets team, we had 10 graduating seniors, and all of us at least had some sort of opportunity to play collegiate baseball and get some tuition and/or board paid for in the process.
I think I know where you want to go with that strange factoid. Very few of my Montana coaching colleagues appreciate the fact that baseball players receive the most Division I scholarships per year and it is the only sport not provided by the MHSA...In fact, most years there are more baseball scholarships awarded than all the MHSA sanctioned sports combined...

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri May 22, 2015 7:17 pm

Papa

Thanks for clarification. I understand your point. Unfortunately if kids want to be successful in a given sport in college it means most will have to focus on that sport. A lot different than it was 40 years ago when I was I HS.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:46 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
I think I know where you want to go with that strange factoid. Very few of my Montana coaching colleagues appreciate the fact that baseball players receive the most Division I scholarships per year and it is the only sport not provided by the MHSA...In fact, most years there are more baseball scholarships awarded than all the MHSA sanctioned sports combined...
I'm confused. :D Are you saying more kids in MT get Div. I baseball scholarships than any other sport ?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:44 am

A couple interesting things on this top performer watch list from a camp in the NW.

Michael Jobman from Huntley has offers from MSU & UM.
Dane Warp only has an offer from Univ. of Mary

http://vype.com/northwestprepreport/201 ... wefc-camp/

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue May 26, 2015 9:52 am

Hawks86 wrote:A couple interesting things on this top performer watch list from a camp in the NW.

Hard to know how accurate those are, but I have to think any linebacker from Huntley would love to play with Koni Dole again.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:11 pm

Hawks86 wrote:A couple interesting things on this top performer watch list from a camp in the NW.

I don't know if this is a reason but Dane Warp has been starting since he was a freshman and was touted early on as the next best QB out of the state of montana. He hasn't really had the supporting cast up at Havre but the sign of a good qb is that you make everyone else better around you. He still has some good tools. He will need to have a big senior season. Speaking on that, now that I have got a list of names to recognize for next fall, it will be exciting to hear how these kids are doing throughout their senior campaigns next year. Some kids make huge jumps from their junior to senior seasons.