Top 3 BSC programs going into Fall

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Top 3 BSC programs going into Fall

Post by onceacat » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:27 pm

KittieKop wrote:I don't understand why everyone is so high on ISU? Other than people's affection for Mike Kramer. They were 8-4 last year and missed out on the playoffs. And that is the first they've even sniffed success in a long time.

2011 - 2-9
2012 - 1-10
2013 - 3-9
2014 - 8-4

Even ISU doesn't even like admitting their recent history - their website schedule list has a gap from 2011 back to 2002.

At this point last year was an anomaly. Until they show more results than that, I'm not a believer. Let's start with back to back winning seasons before we anoint them a conference leader.
Reasons to think ISU is the toughest game on the schedule this season:

1. Hands down the best all purpose RB in the BSC.

2. Probably the 2nd best WR.

3. Awesome OL; the offense only graduated 2 players; 2 all BSC linemen returning.

4. Returning 3 All-big sky players on D.

5. Only losses last year were to EWU (by 3) MSU (by 5) and Utah & Utah State. Solid wins over Poly & Sac State.

6. Defense was #3 in the conference in points per drive. Really underrated D.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:30 pm

Weltercat wrote:I think our backup QB is very capable as well.
I also am going to wait and see if Dakota P can live up to expectations from his success last year. I don't think it's a given. I have seen many examples of qb's having a terrific year and everyone automatically assumes they will improve on it the next year and many times it doesn't happen. It's a different year and different team and a surgically repaired leg. Last year we were all so convinced that our defense was going to dominate the BSC. I for one wont be surprised if the defense far exceeds expectations and the offense doesn't this coming year. I have high hopes but there are just to many variables to predict any of this stuff with any confidence.

Here is mine..
UM until proven otherwise
CP tons of talent and always recruit well
MSU we have an enormous upside
EWU always good but do they have the usual recievers and qb?
I don't get the, UM until proven otherwise, statement. UM hasn't won the Big Sky title since 2009. EWU and MSU have been the top teams in the Big Sky for the past few years. I'm sticking with those two teams as the teams at the top until proven otherwise. I am confident we will be right there at the end, competing for the title again this year.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:19 am

Well, the Griz did finish better than us last year... and the year before that...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:21 am

CelticCat wrote:Well, the Griz did finish better than us last year... and the year before that...
Yep, agree. I'm just saying they aren't the top dogs in the Big Sky anymore as some people make it sound like, at least over the past five years or so.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:39 am

catatac wrote:
CelticCat wrote:Well, the Griz did finish better than us last year... and the year before that...
Yep, agree. I'm just saying they aren't the top dogs in the Big Sky anymore as some people make it sound like, at least over the past five years or so.

Which is exactly what you said the first time. No need to explain. The grizz the past five years aren't the grizz the previous 15 years. They had an air of invincibility after establishing themselves in the mid to late 90s. They still have a lingering mystique, but teams no longer roll over for them like they used to. No one dared pick anyone except um to win the league for a long time. That's not been the case the past few years. Are they a contender? Absolutely. Are they a lock? Absolutely not.

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:00 am

catatac wrote:
Agreed that they have had a hiccup in the last five years due mainly to off field issues, the firing of a head coach and having an interim coach in place. They now have a new HC and a renewed attitude. Nobody has beaten them consistently in the last 25 years. They always finish near or at the top. I hate them but they have the talent this year to win the conference for sure.

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:07 am

Weltercat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Agreed that they have had a hiccup in the last five years due mainly to off field issues, the firing of a head coach and having an interim coach in place. They now have a new HC and a renewed attitude. Nobody has beaten them consistently in the last 25 years. They always finish near or at the top. I hate them but they have the talent this year to win the conference for sure.
They may have the talent to win the Big Sky, but the cards are stacked against them. Most people underestimate the time it's going to take for that offensive to "click" and be successful in the FCS, in the BSC, if it does.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:23 pm

catatac wrote:
Weltercat wrote:
catatac wrote:
They may have the talent to win the Big Sky, but the cards are stacked against them. Most people underestimate the time it's going to take for that offensive to "click" and be successful in the FCS, in the BSC, if it does.
Between Hauck, Pflugard, Delaney and now Stitt, this is a lot of difference in offensive philosophies in a pretty short amount of time.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:40 pm

Weltercat wrote:
catatac wrote:
A hiccup? Over 5 years? That's one big hiccup. I think they've only beaten six teams with winning records over that time and one was San Diego. There biggest claim to fame has been beating us three times. One against a backup QB, another against a injured QB. EWU has pretty much owned them during that stretch. 36-27 in 2010, 14-17 in 2011, 32-26 in 2012, 42-37 in 2013, 36-26 and 37-20 in 2014. That's 5 out of 6 and scoring at least 30 points in all but one win.

The problem for them, however, isn't that they've gotten so much worse, but that other BSC teams have improved. It's no longer a walk in the park setting up home field throughout the playoffs.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:48 pm

CelticCat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Weltercat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Between Hauck, Pflugard, Delaney and now Stitt, this is a lot of difference in offensive philosophies in a pretty short amount of time.
Agree, and they may adapt quickly and well. Will be very interesting to see it play out. I will say this offense is going to be radically different than anything we've seen in a long time. My buddy (Griz fan) said if we think the Cal Poly is unconventional, wait until you see this. He's not sold on it being successful. I mean, completely removing all Tight Ends and Fullbacks from the system? Running this with a non mobile QB? He thinks they're going to struggle in cases where they need pound the ball for one yard.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Weltercat wrote:
catatac wrote:
I think ewoo is something like 4-0 against them in the last 3 years...and none of the games were close. Pretty consistent if you ask me...

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:51 am

I stopped by to see how the kitties are doing... Glad to see this Griz envy is alive and kicking...

In the last ten posts, how many times are the kats the focus... well zero
And the Griz ALL TEN

Nice work fellas... Bobkittie nation = Egriz East...

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:26 am

:lol:
Go Scats Go wrote:I stopped by to see how the kitties are doing... Glad to see this Griz envy is alive and kicking...

And the Griz ALL TEN

Yeah we figured we'd set up a place for people to talk grizz football since egriz is only talking about grizz rape. :lol: \:D/ [-X

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:12 am

Go Scats Go wrote:I stopped by to see how the kitties are doing... Glad to see this Griz envy is alive and kicking...

And the Griz ALL TEN

I see Satan has released one of his minions.....

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:29 am

And the Griz ALL TEN

Would you prefer UM to not be in a discussion involving the top 3 BSC programs this season? Me too!

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:36 am

And the Griz ALL TEN

Current threads on Egrizz, which you are somehow moderator of: (I still don't understand that.)
-Fort to MSU?
-The Book
-Can we beat NDSU?
-Can we beat MSU?
-Can we beat Liberty?
-Krakauer getting defensive?
-AD Opening at USU: Kent Haslam?
-JJ and the Red Blacks
Did you stumble over here on accident because you forgot which site you moderate because no one is talking about the grizz on the one you do? I understand it can be difficult. :(

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:47 am

ImagineSanta wrote:

And the Griz ALL TEN

Current threads on Egrizz, which you are somehow moderator of: (I still don't understand that.)
-Fort to MSU?
-The Book
-Can we beat NDSU?
-Can we beat MSU?
-Can we beat Liberty?
-Krakauer getting defensive?
-AD Opening at USU: Kent Haslam?
-JJ and the Red Blacks
Did you stumble over here on accident because you forgot which site you moderate because no one is talking about the grizz on the one you do? I understand it can be difficult. :(
:rofl: =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:23 am

And the Griz ALL TEN

Yes we talk about the Griz a plenty in various threads, but egriz has many threads dedicated solely to the Cats, which generally turn into a circle jerk.

I'd bet money the Cats are more talked about on egriz than the Griz are here, both by sheer volume and percentage.

But keep telling yourself it only goes one way.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:27 am

Okay I was curious. I'm just going on thread titles, not number of posts.

Number of posts on 1st page of BN about Griz - 0 (unless you count the Don Read vs Rob Ash thread)

Number of posts on 1st page of EG about the Cats - 2

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:29 am

CelticCat wrote:Okay I was curious. I'm just going on thread titles, not number of posts.

Number of posts on 1st page of BN about Griz - 0 (unless you count the Don Read vs Rob Ash thread)

Number of posts on 1st page of EG about the Cats - 2
See ImagineSanta's post too. Scats is full of ****** and so is the entire egrizz base.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.