Top 3 BSC programs going into Fall

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Doc3kgt
BobcatNation Team Captain

Top 3 BSC programs going into Fall

Post by Doc3kgt » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:24 pm

Lets breathe some life into this place and generate a little discussion. Which 3 BSC teams do you think will be the top 3 to start off the season, and why?

1. MSU - Call me a homer, but what is not to like about this team? Prukop returns with more experience with a veteran O-line. Maybe a hiccup or two with the new o-line coach, but you have to think with the experience and time those guys have spent in the trenches together that they will be dominant this year. Receivers and running backs are DEEP. Very excited to see how opposing teams deal with Sandland. Biggest question mark is obviously the defense and the secondary. Following the spring ball coverage from Colter et al, it seems that the D has found renewed vigor and aggression under Ioane. I think it is safe to say that the defense will be better this year, it will be interesting to see just how much. Furthermore, after listening to all of Colter's interviews, I must say that we have some kick @ss coaches.

2. EWU - From what I have read about their scrimmages, it looks like their offense is still going strong, even without VA. Sounds like they have 3 capable QBs that all had a big day during their last scrimmage. Talk on their forum would suggest that their defense is improved as well, but like MSU, it will be interesting to see how much improved. We all know Baldwin is a hell of a coach and EWU is a hell of a program. I expect them to be right up in the mix for BSC champs.

3. ISU / CP - Kramer has it going on over there in Idaho. If they can find a capable replacement for Arias they will be a formidable team this year. I think their stud receiver Magnum (sp?) is back which will be huge. We play them in Holt this year (already requested that game off of work :yes: ) which could be a VERY good game. Not really sure how ISU's spring camp went, but talk on the forum is very optimistic. Sounds like they have hopes of going undefeated this year (besides the Boise game).

I am throwing Cal Poly in the mix at the third spot. Chris Brown is back under center and we all know what they are capable of. CP is more of wild card in my opinion, but I think they have what it takes to be in the mix this year.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Re: Top 3 BSC programs going into Fall

Post by JDoub » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Top runners for me are:

UM -- we'll see what the Stitt effect will be, but with a solid D and potentially potent O, they have a big upside. They let go 9 WR's today to make room for a bunch coming in the fall. I think they will take a half season to really install the new offense, so they are a bit of big variable swing to me in terms of next season. Stitt's record in November since 2010 is 8-6, while Montana's record in Nov/Dec in the same period is 13-6

EWU -- reloading, VA won a lot of games for them, but the team does have talent and swagger

MSU -- must return to the top 1/3 of the Big Sky on defense to win the conference, which has always in my memory been the biggest strength of our program. Now, it's hard to adjust as a fan to having the most dangerous offense around, but a porous D. If we find solutions for pressure and secondary coverage, let the blowouts commence. That and we finally figure out how to win in November like we do in September (our record in November since 2010 is 11-10). If Prukop stays healthy, this could happen.

____________________________________ next tier
CP -- never know what to expect, they're kinda like old Worm man Dennis Rodman when he was in the NBA -- could he get 30 rebounds tonight or just implode in punk rock fashion?

Idaho State -- no. Kramer has brought them to their pinnacle. They've reached their ceiling with erratic bipolar Krames at the helm.

NAU -- meh maybe

Sac State - could be

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Doc3kgt wrote:Lets breathe some life into this place and generate a little discussion. Which 3 BSC teams do you think will be the top 3 to start off the season, and why?

1. MSU - Call me a homer, but what is not to like about this team? Prukop returns with more experience with a veteran O-line. Maybe a hiccup or two with the new o-line coach, but you have to think with the experience and time those guys have spent in the trenches together that they will be dominant this year. Receivers and running backs are DEEP. Very excited to see how opposing teams deal with Sandland. Biggest question mark is obviously the defense and the secondary. Following the spring ball coverage from Colter et al, it seems that the D has found renewed vigor and aggression under Ioane. I think it is safe to say that the defense will be better this year, it will be interesting to see just how much. Furthermore, after listening to all of Colter's interviews, I must say that we have some kick @ss coaches.

2. EWU - From what I have read about their scrimmages, it looks like their offense is still going strong, even without VA. Sounds like they have 3 capable QBs that all had a big day during their last scrimmage. Talk on their forum would suggest that their defense is improved as well, but like MSU, it will be interesting to see how much improved. We all know Baldwin is a hell of a coach and EWU is a hell of a program. I expect them to be right up in the mix for BSC champs.

3. ISU / CP - Kramer has it going on over there in Idaho. If they can find a capable replacement for Arias they will be a formidable team this year. I think their stud receiver Magnum (sp?) is back which will be huge. We play them in Holt this year (already requested that game off of work :yes: ) which could be a VERY good game. Not really sure how ISU's spring camp went, but talk on the forum is very optimistic. Sounds like they have hopes of going undefeated this year (besides the Boise game).

I am throwing Cal Poly in the mix at the third spot. Chris Brown is back under center and we all know what they are capable of. CP is more of wild card in my opinion, but I think they have what it takes to be in the mix this year.
Not sure how. We lost 9 starters off of a bad defense. The guys coming in are unknown so yes, they could be better or worse. The point is we don't know so how can the D be considered better at this point. It is hard not to believe that we won't be better at DT and safety. We were pretty bad at DE last year so I would hope we would be better. We will not be as good at LB or CB. Anything is possible but after spring ball I see um, EWU, NAU, Cal Poly and ISU being good. I see us somewhere between 2 and 6 in the BSC. A lot can change in 4 months.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Doc3kgt
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Doc3kgt » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:36 pm

gtapp wrote:
Doc3kgt wrote:Lets breathe some life into this place and generate a little discussion. Which 3 BSC teams do you think will be the top 3 to start off the season, and why?

Not sure how. We lost 9 starters off of a bad defense. The guys coming in are unknown so yes, they could be better or worse. The point is we don't know so how can the D be considered better at this point. It is hard not to believe that we won't be better at DT and safety. We were pretty bad at DE last year so I would hope we would be better. We will not be as good at LB or CB. Anything is possible but after spring ball I see um, EWU, NAU, Cal Poly and ISU being good. I see us somewhere between 2 and 6 in the BSC. A lot can change in 4 months.
Obviously it is early, but from the scrimmage write ups, interviews, etc, it sounds like we will be fine at line backer and safety. Corner back is the red flag right now. Of course, this is just my opinion from what I have read / listened to. I could be wrong, but I would expect to see a renewed sense of aggression with Ioane and his scheme.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:40 pm

gtapp wrote:

Dude, last year the cats D was ranked in like the bottom 5 of the entire country... there is no place to go but up.

I keep waiting for it, but one of these years GTAPP is going to post a "glass is half FULL" comment... and it is going to be glorious!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:53 pm

1. MSU: Our offense will be so ridiculously good... that it wont even matter if our defense is crappy again. Now, I hope this is NOT the case with our D. Personally, I think they will be improved (it is just a matter of how much). If we have the same D we had last year, we can still win the BSC with our offense, but we will prob be getting knocked out of the playoffs early again. If we can somehow put a halfway decent Defense together... look out!
2. UM: No matter how ya slice it, they still return a bunch of talent (like always). I'm pretty curious to see what Stitt is all about. He better win right away, otherwise the griz "faithful" will burn his house down and run him out of town... that fanbase doesn't handle re-building very well.
3. EWU: Loss of VA is huge, but they are still surrounded by a lot of talent.

everyone else... who knows.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:03 pm

mslacatfan wrote:1. MSU: Our offense will be so ridiculously good... that it wont even matter if our defense is crappy again. Now, I hope this is NOT the case with our D. Personally, I think they will be improved (it is just a matter of how much). If we have the same D we had last year, we can still win the BSC with our offense, but we will prob be getting knocked out of the playoffs early again. If we can somehow put a halfway decent Defense together... look out!
2. UM: No matter how ya slice it, they still return a bunch of talent (like always). I'm pretty curious to see what Stitt is all about. He better win right away, otherwise the griz "faithful" will burn his house down and run him out of town... that fanbase doesn't handle re-building very well.
3. EWU: Loss of VA is huge, but they are still surrounded by a lot of talent.

everyone else... who knows.
I have to agree. UM and EWU both have a lot of talent coming back. UM will be interesting with the new Offense. However I don't think they have the players he would like to have yet to run it. EWU is in better shape but will have to cope with the loss of VA. I would think we are better off than both with having the same staff and starting QB. An imporved D would be a definite bonus. It is alway hard to guess how it is going to turn out in the fall but we will be in the runnig for the title.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:27 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Dude, last year the cats D was ranked in like the bottom 5 of the entire country... there is no place to go but up.

I keep waiting for it, but one of these years GTAPP is going to post a "glass is half FULL" comment... and it is going to be glorious!
We've gone over this about a hundred times-Cats may have been in the bottom 5 in the conference (PSU, SSU, and Davis were all substantially worse, and UNC and SUU were probably worse), but thats not really the point...

So the rankings:

1 Toss up: MSU or EWU MSU was one dropped completion (or offensive 4th down conversion) away from beating EWU & 1 play from beating Poly last year. Win those 2 plays on offense, and the Cats have a seed, 1st round bye, probably a playoff win against a cupcake. As far as the D goes: last year we started 2 true Fr at DE, a converted DE at DT, and Champ had to keep pads on hand in case there was another injury. If for no other reason, the D will be far better because there's depth this year.

EWU was probably the most underrated D in the conference last year. They allowed the 3nd fewest points per drive of anyone in the BSC. They lost some playmakers on both sides of the ball, but they've got a great history of reloading. (And, yes, they will be just fine at QB) I only give the nod to MSU because EWU starts the season with Oregon, Northern Iowa, and MSU. That's a 50-50 shot of starting the season 0-3. Plus, games against Poly, ISU, and UM. Its going to be a stretch for the Eagles to get to even 8 wins...

MSU has the easiest non-conference schedule in the league next year-East Tennessee and Ft Lewis (plus EWU), and a pretty easy conference schedule.

3-4 Poly/ISU Poly whupped UM last year, and had a solid win over the Cats. They've been right on the cusp of the playoffs of into the first round several years in a row now, and they don't lose much off their 2014 team. Poly starts the season with AZ State, Northern Iowa, and MSU.

5 Griz: I say this with trepidation-but I just don't see a team with a new QB & new HC making it through their schedule-Griz will probably be 4-6 point dogs in all three of their first games (NDSU, Poly, and Liberty) and finish at ISU at MSU and vs EWU.

4-3 ISU Whoever said they weren't a contender is smoking something. They will have the best RB and 2nd best WR in the BSC and a really solid O-line (maybe better than ours) They were also really underrated on D last year- #2 in the conference in points per drive. They are probably better overall than EWU, but QB is a total mystery. No way they make the playoffs though-2 games against FBS teams and one D-2. They would need to run the table against UM, MSU and EWU.

But like someone said, a whole lot can happen in 3 months. Looking forward to the season!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:19 am

Tough to say this year. EW was a lock until Adams left. I'd still pick them. There are 4-5 others in the hunt, but they're all in the 9-2 to 6-5 range record-wise.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:59 am

The only thing I think may change with VA gone is EWU scores 39 points per game instead of 44. And maybe they miss a few tough conversions because VA, above all else, was clutch, like him or not. When EWU needed a play, he always made it happen. That to me is the biggest thing EWU loses, is VA's ability to make plays when they needed it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:00 pm

EWU
MSU
Cal Poly

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:01 pm

catatac wrote:EWU
MSU
Cal Poly
+1

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:20 pm

MSU EWU UM

UM has proven they can rebuild time and time again with a new coach. Yes the first year under Plfugard was a bad one, but even then they were 1 game away from the playoffs.

Until proven otherwise, UM will always be in the conversation.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:22 pm

I guess I look at it a little differently

I think the top teams are MSU, EWU, CP, ISU and um
then I see NAU, SAC, UND and SUU and the middle teams.

the rest are in the bottom

I think that any of those top teams could potentially win the conference, and the playoff teams will likely come from this group,

that doubt that any of the middle teams could win the conference, but they will have an impact on the title race, it would be a bit of a long shot but one of these teams could make the playoffs.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Who has the toughest conference schedule? Ours is tough, but also sets up well. We have CP, um at home. Three of four road games indoors which I have to think helps our offense. Out of the other side of my mouth I don't like playing at NAU and my guess is ISU will be raucous. Gonna be a wild ride.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:13 pm

CelticCat wrote:MSU EWU UM

UM has proven they can rebuild time and time again with a new coach. Yes the first year under Plfugard was a bad one, but even then they were 1 game away from the playoffs.

Until proven otherwise, UM will always be in the conversation.
True. They might surprise me, we'll see. I just think that even if the Stitt experiment works..... it's gonna take awhile. This is a radically, drastically different offense they're trying to implement. They just cut 15 players, 9 of which were wide receivers? That part I don't get because as we all know, UM is never really lacking in talent. So Stitt thinks a bunch of the new guys coming in are better than guys that have been in the program? Also, zero Tight Ends and zero Fullbacks in that system. That's weird. This is literally an experiment.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:55 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Actually I have never been "glass half full" or "glass half empty"! I am a realist, something BN is uncomfortable with. kind of like religious people are uncomfortable with logic and facts. I will give you one more reason to be uncomfortable. Many on here claim the offense will be so good the D won't matter. I agree in principle with this statement. I do however see two weaknesses on our offense, RT and backup QB. That is a bad combination.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:16 pm

I think we have a very good backup QB... one that led us to victory over a very good ISU team. Unfortunately said QB also had a nightmare game against UM, where every possible thing that could go wrong did go wrong. That game was an anomaly IMO.

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:12 pm

I think our backup QB is very capable as well.
I also am going to wait and see if Dakota P can live up to expectations from his success last year. I don't think it's a given. I have seen many examples of qb's having a terrific year and everyone automatically assumes they will improve on it the next year and many times it doesn't happen. It's a different year and different team and a surgically repaired leg. Last year we were all so convinced that our defense was going to dominate the BSC. I for one wont be surprised if the defense far exceeds expectations and the offense doesn't this coming year. I have high hopes but there are just to many variables to predict any of this stuff with any confidence.

Here is mine..
UM until proven otherwise
CP tons of talent and always recruit well
MSU we have an enormous upside
EWU always good but do they have the usual recievers and qb?

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:37 pm

I don't understand why everyone is so high on ISU? Other than people's affection for Mike Kramer. They were 8-4 last year and missed out on the playoffs. And that is the first they've even sniffed success in a long time.

2011 - 2-9
2012 - 1-10
2013 - 3-9
2014 - 8-4

Even ISU doesn't even like admitting their recent history - their website schedule list has a gap from 2011 back to 2002.

At this point last year was an anomaly. Until they show more results than that, I'm not a believer. Let's start with back to back winning seasons before we anoint them a conference leader.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?