Pending trial for Cortland Fort, Cal Poly charged players

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Pending trial for Cortland Fort, Cal Poly charged players

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Here’s what I found about the pending case against Cortland Fort, Kristaan Ivory and three other Cal Poly football players. From the court records I acquired and the people I talked to, there’s been quite a lot of posturing in the case because there are five defendants and each seems to have a different degree of culpability. There's also a lot on the line for each of them. The trial was originally scheduled for March 30 but is still pending. A date has not been officially set.

Fort was in Bozeman in Saturday to watch the Sonny Holland spring game. His former Wyoming teammate Sam Hardy, who was dismissed from the Cowboys in the off-season, was in attendance as well.

The trial stems from an incident in San Luis Obispo on Aug. 10. Detective Eric Vitale, the main investigator in the case, has already testified that evidence suggests all five defendants left a party Aug. 10 with the intent to steal marijuana, cash and electronics from residents at a frat house.

Residents who claimed two men appeared on the property with their heads and faces masked by hoodies and bandanas, one carrying a small, unloaded derringer-style .38-caliber pistol.

Compliant charges state that Cameron Akins 19 of Monrovia brandished a gun during the robbery and demanded money and drugs from the house.

The District Attorney dropped all charges for Ivory, Cal Poly’s star running back, and for Jake Brito with the exception of the conspiracy charge. Neither set foot in the house where the alleged robbery occurred. Each is charged with conspiracy because personal items were found in a rented car driven that was pulled over at the end of the night.

The rented Kia Optima that was pulled over late on the night of Aug. 10 was driven by Fort. But none of the defendants other than Fort were in the car. Fort had just recently arrived in San Luis Obispo after transferring from Wyoming to Cal Poly.

Fort’s attorney argued Fort did not even know the defendants and had only been in town for two weeks. He said Fort's phone, which was initially confiscated by police, showed no evidence he ever communicated with the others.

Fort was arrested driving away from the area in a car rented by another person who had attended the party earlier that the robbery occurred at.

"He had been asked to drive because he was the only sober person, " Casciola told Matt Fountain of the SLO Tribune, adding that Fort was stopped by a patrol officer while driving without his headlights on because he was unfamiliar with the car.

Chastain said officers discovered Love, Ivory and Brito's wallets and cell-phones in the car Fort was driving when he was pulled over following the alleged robbery. The three were not with him in the car.

Fort faces nine felony charges as does Akins.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Re: Pending trial for Cortland Fort, Cal Poly charged player

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:00 am

Excellent reporting. Thanks.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:30 am

Interesting at the very least. If true, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And believe it or not, I was pulled over in high school for the same reason - I was trying turn my lights on and accidentally turned them on, then back off, and finally on again - and I was pulled over. :lol: I can't remember what I was driving but I was driving a different car for some reason, that I had only driven like once.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:30 am

The incriminating part is the wallets.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:01 am

Sounds to me like they have the wrong dude. But what a bunch of great teammates.

SloStang
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by SloStang » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:16 pm

Accepted a plea. Will serve no jail time, but serve three years probation and 1,000 hours community service.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:38 pm

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:46 am

I'm not sure how I feel now about him joining the team. I'm usually fine with second chances, and it looks like he's getting one with no jail time, probation and community service. But if this exact same thing happened while he was in Bozeman, would anyone be arguing for him to get a second chance at MSU? Maybe? Should Poly give him another chance if he wanted to stay there?

I guess on the other hand if he ends up here, he'll be on a short leash. We'll a couple short leashes. He'll obviously be on probation for the length of time he's in Bozeman, and already being on his second chance, I would imagine any trip up with team rules or such and he'll be out. But probation means if he's caught drinking at a party, he's in jail. If he shoplifts a pack of gum from Walgreens, he's in jail. Minor violations usually don't mean a revocation and off to prison, but still. If he ends up here, its truly a second chance, and there shouldn't be a third, fourth, fifth chance while he's here.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:03 am

KittieKop wrote:I'm not sure how I feel now about him joining the team. I'm usually fine with second chances, and it looks like he's getting one with no jail time, probation and community service. But if this exact same thing happened while he was in Bozeman, would anyone be arguing for him to get a second chance at MSU? Maybe? Should Poly give him another chance if he wanted to stay there?

I guess on the other hand if he ends up here, he'll be on a short leash. We'll a couple short leashes. He'll obviously be on probation for the length of time he's in Bozeman, and already being on his second chance, I would imagine any trip up with team rules or such and he'll be out. But probation means if he's caught drinking at a party, he's in jail. If he shoplifts a pack of gum from Walgreens, he's in jail. Minor violations usually don't mean a revocation and off to prison, but still. If he ends up here, its truly a second chance, and there shouldn't be a third, fourth, fifth chance while he's here.
He's not going back to Cal Poly. He was immediately released from his scholarship and played at Riverside CC, the same school where Anthony Knight and Des Carter got back on their feet after getting kicked out of Nevada.

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Lovethecats75 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:49 am

So far Ash has a fairly good track record of giving kids a second chance and having the kid take advantage of that second chance.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:14 am

The gun is the difference maker for me. I've seen the short leash work both ways, kids stayed and straightened out, others have been sent packing. Ash only brings these kids in when we need them and it hurts a little when they get sent home. While for me the gun being used would make me say no, I do trust Ash to make it work.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:14 am

Lovethecats75 wrote:So far Ash has a fairly good track record of giving kids a second chance and having the kid take advantage of that second chance.
Yep and he has proven that it really is a second chance. If you screw up, you are dropped from the team (not just given a half a game suspension).

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:23 am

allcat wrote:The gun is the difference maker for me. I've seen the short leash work both ways, kids stayed and straightened out, others have been sent packing. Ash only brings these kids in when we need them and it hurts a little when they get sent home. While for me the gun being used would make me say no, I do trust Ash to make it work.

"Only when needed" can be interpreted in many different ways but the fact of the matter is MSU will start at least 6 (Bryson Keeton, Des Carter, Marcus Tappan, Mitch Griebel, Beau Sandland, Brandon Brown) and have at least 8 more players challenging for a starting gig (Robert Wilcox, Bryson McCabe, Zach Stern, Shiloh LaBoy, Jessie Clark, Joe Naotala, Tanner Roderick, Anthony Knight) who were transfers. Potentially 14 starting transfers, every position besides QB,OL and MLB and the possibility of adding Sam Hardy and Cortland Fort to the mix for a program that adamantly claims it's not a transfer program.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:32 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
allcat wrote:The gun is the difference maker for me. I've seen the short leash work both ways, kids stayed and straightened out, others have been sent packing. Ash only brings these kids in when we need them and it hurts a little when they get sent home. While for me the gun being used would make me say no, I do trust Ash to make it work.

"Only when needed" can be interpreted in many different ways but the fact of the matter is MSU will start at least 6 (Bryson Keeton, Des Carter, Marcus Tappan, Mitch Griebel, Beau Sandland, Brandon Brown) and have at least 8 more players challenging for a starting gig (Robert Wilcox, Bryson McCabe, Zach Stern, Shiloh LaBoy, Jessie Clark, Joe Naotala, Tanner Roderick, Anthony Knight) who were transfers. Potentially 14 starting transfers, every position besides QB,OL and MLB and the possibility of adding Sam Hardy and Cortland Fort to the mix for a program that adamantly claims it's not a transfer program.
Only when needed could also be interpreted as the head coach is in the last year of his contract. :-k

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:41 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Depth Depth Depth. I like it. I like the film of all those players they are bringing in. If MSU can improve the D by 20-25% watch out this year!

How fast young players and Transfers adjust to the system on D depends on how complex the scheme is. Coach Ioane sounds like they will be simplifying some of the defensive scheme this year and allowing guys to REACT! So it may not be as hard to adjust as a D transfer this year if the scheme has been simplified some.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
KittieKop wrote:I'm not sure how I feel now about him joining the team. I'm usually fine with second chances, and it looks like he's getting one with no jail time, probation and community service. But if this exact same thing happened while he was in Bozeman, would anyone be arguing for him to get a second chance at MSU? Maybe? Should Poly give him another chance if he wanted to stay there?

He's not going back to Cal Poly. He was immediately released from his scholarship and played at Riverside CC, the same school where Anthony Knight and Des Carter got back on their feet after getting kicked out of Nevada.
Oh, I get that. Playing the hypothetical game. Same thing happens here in Bozeman and a player ends up with the same 3 yr probation, etc, etc, should the team let him back on where he screwed up for a second chance? Why are second chances in things like this seemingly only allowed if the player gets his second chance with another program. Its OK to burn bridges at programs one at a time, just not burn the same program twice?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:08 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

This is the first year I've seen where we really dipped deep into the transfer ranks. Ash has always had several per year, but he has built his bread and butter with high school recruits.

I think he realizes how special the offense can be, and the defense better not drag it down. He added firepower to the offense (Sandland, Brown), but most of the transfers are defense, and rightfully so - lots of spots open, and poor performance last year.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:37 am

CelticCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

This is the first year I've seen where we really dipped deep into the transfer ranks. Ash has always had several per year, but he has built his bread and butter with high school recruits.

Not only this, but more so are the defensive injuries and the unexpected retirements of the last two years.
Seems like there are definitely more issues typically with transfers, young men with a lot of testosterone trying to find their place in the world.
Hopefully they all work out well. A degree from Montana State University can open a lot of doors in life.

As far as young Mr Fort, I will reserve my opinion until the court figures it out. I am guessing he maybe had some knowledge without acutally being directly involved. Probably why he was driving the car home for the others. Bad judgement call on his part. However he probably doing team mates a favor and should of steered clear.
Just a guess.
If he was given a visit here, the issue has been studied extensively by MSU staff.
Regardless, Cortland, if given the opportunity, will have to tow the line. Could be a blessing for the young man.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:40 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

While I'm never thrilled with dropdowns, what I really was referring to was the in trouble kids on the very short leash.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:37 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

I think he realizes how special the offense can be, and the defense better not drag it down. He added firepower to the offense (Sandland, Brown), but most of the transfers are defense, and rightfully so - lots of spots open, and poor performance last year.
Yep, it is time to make some noise this year! Beef up the area we need improvement in and I think coach Ash and Co. have done that.