Sonny Holland scrimmage

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Sonny Holland scrimmage

Post by lutecat » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:33 pm

What I saw. DP was short on more long passes than I would've liked. D stepped up. Heard Brownlow and Mac's names a few times. Team Jake was up for a while. It took until the last play for team DP to go up for good. The WR/CB drills before practice were entertaining. Most of the wins went to the O. Greibel and Bleskin look like baseball players with a bat in their hand. Jake especially. Saw some girls that belong on future hotties threads. I nominate saccat to come ask if he can take their picture. A few hard hits. I'm excited to see our rb play this year. I think Noah James will be a good bruiser. Excited to see what Barth can do. He had a good game. He got an award for most improved on offense. Some good quick plays by the d getting into the backfield. D definitely looked improved.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:37 pm

Defensive front shines during Sonny Holland spring game — viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35847

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:47 pm

One play that stood out to me. A receiver blocking a CB when a pass was to Greibel. The WR was pushed back into Greibel who went down. It sounds like a bad play from the O, me just explaining it but it was an impressive play by that CB pushing the blocker back and causing Greibel's feet to get kocked our from under him.

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by DicTater » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Hey, what I want to know is, how did JP Flynn have a reception? That must have been a strange looking play.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:02 pm

When they had the wr/rb competition they had him and bignell go against each other to end it. Bignell won. They had jp go out for a pass during the scrimmage also. They also had Brownlow field a punt.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:03 pm

DicTater wrote:Hey, what I want to know is, how did JP Flynn have a reception? That must have been a strange looking play.
Motion to the boundary side, stacking the line with multiple tight ends to the right, Flynn outside on the left, pass back screen. Nate Bignell made a nice play for a TFL to snuff it out. Pretty entertaining, as it was when 5-9, 305-pound DT Matt Brownlow fielded a punt.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:08 pm

lutecat wrote:One play that stood out to me. A receiver blocking a CB when a pass was to Greibel. The WR was pushed back into Greibel who went down. It sounds like a bad play from the O, me just explaining it but it was an impressive play by that CB pushing the blocker back and causing Greibel's feet to get kocked our from under him.
That was King. He's an animal and is my pick to start along side Carter at Safety. I'm on my phone right now too but I'll give some comments when I get a chance.

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:56 am

Good scrimmage and saw what I hopped to see. liked what I saw from the young players that will serve mainly as backups and special team players. Was very impressed with Brownlow. For how short he is and as big as he is, he is very nimble and light on his feet. He will never be a star or probably never start, but he is some one that can come in and give you some solid snaps. Also like what I saw from Noah James ar RB. Kid runs very hard. I see no way that they can Nick Lasane, off the field.
Brewfest was fun as well.

GO CATS!!!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:54 am

lutecat wrote:What I saw. DP was short on more long passes than I would've liked. D stepped up. Heard Brownlow and Mac's names a few times. Team Jake was up for a while. It took until the last play for team DP to go up for good. The WR/CB drills before practice were entertaining. Most of the wins went to the O. Greibel and Bleskin look like baseball players with a bat in their hand. Jake especially. Saw some girls that belong on future hotties threads. I nominate saccat to come ask if he can take their picture. A few hard hits. I'm excited to see our rb play this year. I think Noah James will be a good bruiser. Excited to see what Barth can do. He had a good game. He got an award for most improved on offense. Some good quick plays by the d getting into the backfield. D definitely looked improved.
Probably too hard for Saccat to get here. I'll volunteer, probably gonna need some film, and a camera. :-^

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:57 am

I realize this was a scrimmage, both sides have had opportunities to see what the other was doing and the entire defense/offense wasn't on the table - but I was impressed how fast both sides of the ball were playing.

Matt Brownlow - seems like a ball of energy, a great attitude. I think if you watched that player profile video on msubobcats.com you see that as well. But him fielding that punt, and he was out there on the field one other time shadowing and chasing down one of the kick off or punt returners. It was also cool seeing a guy being able to plug up the middle of the line. In the player profile video he made mention of being overlooked at 5'9", but he plays with a lot energy and at 305lbs he's built like a fireplug. Its going to fun watching him in the middle of the line.

Bolton had a good day punting. We've been used to seeing him pretty much in the roll punt/pin situations, but by far he seemed to have the best hang times on his punts on Saturday. It didn't seem he had tremendous distance (OK, not great) but I'll assume not many would have returns with the hang time.

Daly was money on XPs and FGs. Yes, the 57 yarder was nice to see, though obviously none of them were really under 100% full-on pressure.

LIke Prukop alluded to in the post-scrimmage interview, there were a ton of "sacks", though I think in most of them he an/or Bleskin would have been able to escape in a live game situation. Whistles came pretty quick. With Prukops legs, most of those sacks would have been avoided. The long Bleskin touchdown looked like a backyard play. He showed some elusiveness on Saturday, including that play - which was a scramble to the right, duck and dodge a couple defenders and heave a pass as far as you can to the left corner of the endzone. Fun to watch, just don't think it was scripted out that way :lol:

I thought Roderick had a good day, but yeah, he's definitely under the radar right now. Even during the warm up drills, he seemed to be almost an afterthought being thrown in there. Maybe coaches are holding him out a bit, coming back from injuries last year. I don't know :shrug:

Fun day. Was pretty nice when the wind was down and the sun was out. Didn't make it down in time for the Brewfest though. Anyone make it there and have a report?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:29 am

allcat wrote:
lutecat wrote:What I saw. DP was short on more long passes than I would've liked. D stepped up. Heard Brownlow and Mac's names a few times. Team Jake was up for a while. It took until the last play for team DP to go up for good. The WR/CB drills before practice were entertaining. Most of the wins went to the O. Greibel and Bleskin look like baseball players with a bat in their hand. Jake especially. Saw some girls that belong on future hotties threads. I nominate saccat to come ask if he can take their picture. A few hard hits. I'm excited to see our rb play this year. I think Noah James will be a good bruiser. Excited to see what Barth can do. He had a good game. He got an award for most improved on offense. Some good quick plays by the d getting into the backfield. D definitely looked improved.
Probably too hard for Saccat to get here. I'll volunteer, probably gonna need some film, and a camera. :-^
Film? What century are you living in? :lol: :lol:

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:48 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
allcat wrote:
Film was the only issue you had with that post? I admit I made the film the easy one.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:17 am

allcat wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
allcat wrote:
Film was the only issue you had with that post? I admit I made the film the easy one.
I didn't want to make a personal attack though I doubt that you could handle the task in a professional way.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:28 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
allcat wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
allcat wrote:
I didn't want to make a personal attack though I doubt that you could handle the task in a professional way.
I happen to be a competition level ogler.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:53 am

KittieKop wrote: Fun day. Was pretty nice when the wind was down and the sun was out. Didn't make it down in time for the Brewfest though. Anyone make it there and have a report?
Yep, if it was either five degrees warmer or the wind would have slowed down a touch, it would have been an absolutely perfect day. I think the Brewfest was a really cool thing and hope it becomes a staple in the future and grows with the number of breweries that attend. It was a lot of fun being able to run down, grab a quick beer and sit up in the stands for the scrimmage. Also was able to try some really good beers and some not so good beers, but overall it was a lot of fun. The band downstairs was a nice touch and being able to grab a brat/dog was great too. Hopefully next year they can ramp up the advertising and the weather is like it was Saturday.

My only real gripe is that the pours were super inconsistent between a lot of the vendors. You only had ten pours and there was a couple that were being a little stingy on pours compared to others (okay a lot stingy as I had one that was barely one sip of beer but still counted as a pour). I think if the cups had a line on them for what you should get with the pour instead of just leaving it to the discretion of the person pouring, that would be a little better. Just a small thing and easily fixable.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:34 am

coachouert wrote:
KittieKop wrote: Fun day. Was pretty nice when the wind was down and the sun was out. Didn't make it down in time for the Brewfest though. Anyone make it there and have a report?
Yep, if it was either five degrees warmer or the wind would have slowed down a touch, it would have been an absolutely perfect day. I think the Brewfest was a really cool thing and hope it becomes a staple in the future and grows with the number of breweries that attend. It was a lot of fun being able to run down, grab a quick beer and sit up in the stands for the scrimmage. Also was able to try some really good beers and some not so good beers, but overall it was a lot of fun. The band downstairs was a nice touch and being able to grab a brat/dog was great too. Hopefully next year they can ramp up the advertising and the weather is like it was Saturday.

My only real gripe is that the pours were super inconsistent between a lot of the vendors. You only had ten pours and there was a couple that were being a little stingy on pours compared to others (okay a lot stingy as I had one that was barely one sip of beer but still counted as a pour). I think if the cups had a line on them for what you should get with the pour instead of just leaving it to the discretion of the person pouring, that would be a little better. Just a small thing and easily fixable.
It was all Cardinal Distributing beers so I don't know how many breweries could be added in the future. And as a lot of brewfests are, most of the pourers are volunteers so they all worked for the same "people". So they should all be pouring the same amounts. Its not like there were people from the breweries being stingy which I have seen some places. If they only had a 1/5 bbl, instead of a 1/2 bbl(keg), they should've let people know that a pour from that beer was a little sip because they didn't want to run out.

I didn't pay to drink, could you buy more pours?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:42 am

lutecat wrote:
coachouert wrote:

It was all Cardinal Distributing beers so I don't know how many breweries could be added in the future. And as a lot of brewfests are, most of the pourers are volunteers so they all worked for the same "people". So they should all be pouring the same amounts. Its not like there were people from the breweries being stingy which I have seen some places. If they only had a 1/5 bbl, instead of a 1/2 bbl(keg), they should've let people know that a pour from that beer was a little sip because they didn't want to run out.

I didn't pay to drink, could you buy more pours?
I assumed they were all Cardinal, but wasn't positive. I know most of the people were volunteers, including kmax and some coaches. Vendor was not the right term for my first post and definitely not taking anything away from those who volunteered their time. The pours were inconsistent some places, which is understandable given that we had a white plastic cup with no indicators of where to pour. Great American Beer Fest gives you a glass with a clearly marked level to pour to which makes it easier on the volunteers for example. Like I said, it was a little gripe on an otherwise great day.

I remember reading that you could buy more pours, but never saw somewhere to be able to do it. I had my ten and went to Specs for my free pint...and then Outlaw...and then the R Bar...then to bed. :suds:

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:32 pm

Yes it was all Cardinal distributing beer, which is too bad because the absence of Kettlehouse beers, the oldest Brewery in the state owned by a Montana State alumnus, was a shame. Perhaps next year Bronken's distributing will be able to represent the beers they distribute and give everyone more choices of great beer produced in Montana. You gotta have Coldsmoke or it just isn't a complete Brewfest, IMO. Cheers. 8)

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:Yes it was all Cardinal distributing beer, which is too bad because the absence of Kettlehouse beers, the oldest Brewery in the state owned by a Montana State alumnus, was a shame. Perhaps next year Bronken's distributing will be able to represent the beers they distribute and give everyone more choices of great beer produced in Montana. You gotta have Coldsmoke or it just isn't a complete Brewfest, IMO. Cheers. 8)
Been trying my damnedest to get them, Bozeman Brewing, and/or Madison River to distribute to Oregon. Getting tired of the same Big Sky Brewing beers over and over. Haha.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:37 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:Yes it was all Cardinal distributing beer, which is too bad because the absence of Kettlehouse beers, the oldest Brewery in the state owned by a Montana State alumnus, was a shame. Perhaps next year Bronken's distributing will be able to represent the beers they distribute and give everyone more choices of great beer produced in Montana. You gotta have Coldsmoke or it just isn't a complete Brewfest, IMO. Cheers. 8)
Been trying my damnedest to get them, Bozeman Brewing, and/or Madison River to distribute to Oregon. Getting tired of the same Big Sky Brewing beers over and over. Haha.
The only thing I get in WA is Moose Drool. I've seen Trout Slayer once or twice as well.

Of course I live in WA, so if it isn't an IPA no one is going to care. :yuck:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast