Live Bobcat?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Live Bobcat?

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:46 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:If we get a cat we need to take special care to protect it. We had zoo-type cage" on campus...I don't know the direction...seems north of Hamilton Hall, across from the SUB with a beautiful Bobcat when I was in school. It was never taken out...just a live mascot display. It was poisoned. Seems a second one was brought in, and it was poisoned too. So my question is...who takes care of the cat?
Just for ****** and grins...we also had a baby alligator....Speed-E-Gator who was entered in the national college alligator races somewhere down south. AND..Speed-E WON! Not only did he win, but ate most of U of Missouri along the way! He arrived back in Bozeman dead, but he was pickled, placed in a large jar and displayed somewhere in Lewis Hall. He may be there today.
We have an entire degree program called "Fish and Wildlife Management" of which I am a proud MSU graduate...and these kids could very well take care of this animal/mascot as part of their program. This is not even a hard thing to consider, it simply takes a willingness to solve the initial problem of where and how. I think you'll find a lot of people will see this as a huge attraction with a few fringe concerns being expressed by some people.
From the fringe...This is 2015 and unfortunately things may not be as simple as they sound. For instance, one of the many things that might get in the way is a risk analysis from the State's Risk Manager who may find a problem with spending the money to build a cage and turning over the responsibility of care and feeding of a wild animal to college kids. If one of the little darlings gets as much as a scratch, I want to be the plaintiffs attorney! Just saying.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:09 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:If we get a cat we need to take special care to protect it. We had zoo-type cage" on campus...I don't know the direction...seems north of Hamilton Hall, across from the SUB with a beautiful Bobcat when I was in school. It was never taken out...just a live mascot display. It was poisoned. Seems a second one was brought in, and it was poisoned too. So my question is...who takes care of the cat?
Just for ****** and grins...we also had a baby alligator....Speed-E-Gator who was entered in the national college alligator races somewhere down south. AND..Speed-E WON! Not only did he win, but ate most of U of Missouri along the way! He arrived back in Bozeman dead, but he was pickled, placed in a large jar and displayed somewhere in Lewis Hall. He may be there today.
We have an entire degree program called "Fish and Wildlife Management" of which I am a proud MSU graduate...and these kids could very well take care of this animal/mascot as part of their program. This is not even a hard thing to consider, it simply takes a willingness to solve the initial problem of where and how. I think you'll find a lot of people will see this as a huge attraction with a few fringe concerns being expressed by some people.
From the fringe...This is 2015 and unfortunately things may not be as simple as they sound. For instance, one of the many things that might get in the way is a risk analysis from the State's Risk Manager who may find a problem with spending the money to build a cage and turning over the responsibility of care and feeding of a wild animal to college kids. If one of the little darlings gets as much as a scratch, I want to be the plaintiffs attorney! Just saying.
Easy solution. IF there is some kid in F&W Mgn and they can't/won't take a scratch in the name of science.... then flunk their a$$$! :D

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:11 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Easy solution. IF there is some kid in F&W Mgn and they can't/won't take a scratch in the name of science.... then flunk their a$$$! :D[/quote

What does any of this "live bobcat" stuff have to do with Science? They turn out researchers and public policy wonks over there (assuming they can attain a graduate degree). Zoo keepers? Not so much!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:18 am

Can we agree that, within the vast intellectual resources of the various colleges of Montana State University, the know-how and labor could be sourced to successfully and safely care for a live bobcat at a level at least comparable to that of the hundreds of zoos (and hundreds more private bobcat owners and bobcat fur farm owners) in this country?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:Can we agree that, within the vast intellectual resources of the various colleges of Montana State University, the know-how and labor could be sourced to successfully and safely care for a live bobcat at a level at least comparable to that of the hundreds of zoos (and hundreds more private bobcat owners and bobcat fur farm owners) in this country?
Yes. I can agree as long as you don't turn it over to the athletic department. They'd kill it too.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:59 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:Can we agree that, within the vast intellectual resources of the various colleges of Montana State University, the know-how and labor could be sourced to successfully and safely care for a live bobcat at a level at least comparable to that of the hundreds of zoos (and hundreds more private bobcat owners and bobcat fur farm owners) in this country?
Yes. I can agree as long as you don't turn it over to the athletic department. They'd kill it too.
You mean like they have killed football?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:28 pm

Yes we can! And that's the point. IF MSU cannot come up with a healthy, viable, safe and workable solution for how to house and care for a bobcat mascot, then MSU has bigger problems to consider on it's future viability as an institution! :)
Last edited by catsrback76 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:30 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Yes we can! And that's the point. IF MSU cannot come up with a healthy, viable, safe and workable solution for how to house and car for a bobcat mascot, then MSU has bigger problems to consider on it's future viability as an institution! :)
Indeed. :thumbup:

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:40 pm

I don't understand why several people are up in arms about caring for a bobcat. It's still just a cat, which means it will sleep for 16 hours per day. Stick it in a room that gets a lot of natural light; a warm sunny spot is intoxicating for cats. Neuter the thing to kill its natural aggression.

Come on, now. There's nothing hard about any of this.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Cledus wrote:I don't understand why several people are up in arms about caring for a bobcat. It's still just a cat, which means it will sleep for 16 hours per day. Stick it in a room that gets a lot of natural light; a warm sunny spot is intoxicating for cats. Neuter the thing to kill its natural aggression.

Come on, now. There's nothing hard about any of this.
That cat in your avatar looks pretty aggressive to me.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:50 pm

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:49 pm

CelticCat wrote:Image
Yeah, so you just throw it a shark or two every couple of weeks and it's happy, happy, happy, happy!!!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:59 am

Everyone wants a lil sushi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heidi-jean
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Heidi-jean » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:19 am

No please NO!! Think about it people, bad idea. How would you like to see your own dog/cat/pet in a cage?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:03 am

Heidi-jean wrote:No please NO!! Think about it people, bad idea. How would you like to see your own dog/cat/pet in a cage?
Your right, we should get 2 of them. Do we need 2 cages, will the cats live together?

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:56 am

I'd much prefer to see a large bronze sculpture somewhere near the entrance to the stadium than a cowering kitty in a cage....something like the cougar in front of the athletic office at Martin Stadium in Pullman would be impressive. My memories of the "cowering kitty" in the 60s doesn't do much to fire me up.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:00 pm

Heidi-jean wrote:No please NO!! Think about it people, bad idea. How would you like to see your own dog/cat/pet in a cage?
Actually my dog is kennel trained and loves it! :D

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:37 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
That's funny. Mine does too. If he doesn't have the warm sunny spot to lay in the living room, I can find him most times sleeping in his kennel with the door wide open.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:13 am

tdub wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
That's funny. Mine does too. If he doesn't have the warm sunny spot to lay in the living room, I can find him most times sleeping in his kennel with the door wide open.
Yea, I don't get all this, "you can't put that wild animal in a cage" talk! The bobcat that is being considered has not lived up in the Bridger's but has been raised in an environment where the cage is a normal part of it's life. To take it OUT OF THE CAGE and release it into the wild is actually a dangerous thing to do. It might go feral and make it, but it is not tuned to living outside of the cage in the wild.

The questions raised are all emotional and anthro (man) centered. A nice environment for the cat can be created that will give it a great life, expose the student body to the mascot, and raise interest for all to enjoy it's native beauty.........not to mention it would be badass to walk it into the stadium on football Saturdays! 8)