Spring will be crucial for unproven Bobcat linebackers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Spring will be crucial for unproven Bobcat linebackers

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:10 pm

Braun, Bignell and Collins have no starts between them.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring will be crucial for unproven Bobcat linebackers

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:49 am

I think it'll be Bignell or Stern, Grant Collins, and Tappan starting.

I hear the new defensive system really frees up guys to make plays and forces QBs to be more patient. I'm glad we aren't giving EWU a good look at it before we play them. That bye could be a blessing.

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:09 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:I think it'll be Bignell or Stern, Grant Collins, and Tappan starting.

I hear the new defensive system really frees up guys to make plays and forces QBs to be more patient. I'm glad we aren't giving EWU a good look at it before we play them. That bye could be a blessing.
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:24 am

ImagineSanta wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:I think it'll be Bignell or Stern, Grant Collins, and Tappan starting.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
If Christensen is healthy he might start but I see Bignell, Collins and Tappan starting as well.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:26 am

If anything, we should have pretty good depth.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:39 pm

VimSince03 wrote:If anything, we should have pretty good depth.
That's true, but how do you keep some of that depth from transferring. If they don't feel like they're going to start, how do you keep the Vunipola's and the McQueary's of the team (excellent depth, and possibly future starters) from transferring out so they can play? I'm concerned about being able to keep King/Braun/Toti and a few others right now.

King could have a sophomore in McCabe playing in front of him. His only action would come in mop up duty, injury, or if he transfers (this is assuming he doesn't win the starting job). Sure, he could take Des Carters place next year in this hypothetical scenario. But then where does Khari fit?

Braun could be the odd man out of Collins/Bignell/Tappan all in front of him, all of which are in the same class or younger than he is (in terms of eligibility remaining)

Toti could also be on the outside looking in if he can't usurp the spot a possible combo of Braun/Bignell/Stern.

I'm simply asking, as a coach, how do you convince some of these athletes to stick around as depth? Albeit, incredibly talented depth. But still just depth...

Don't get me wrong. I definitely believe the best players will play. I'm just a little concerned about being able to keep our young talent with all the transfers that were brought in. The D-line is different in my mind, because of all the rotating that happens. But, typically, very little rotation happens with linebackers and DB's (except for the nickel package)

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:45 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
That's true, but how do you keep some of that depth from transferring. If they don't feel like they're going to start, how do you keep the Vunipola's and the McQueary's of the team (excellent depth, and possibly future starters) from transferring out so they can play? I'm concerned about being able to keep King/Braun/Toti and a few others right now.

King could have a sophomore in McCabe playing in front of him. His only action would come in mop up duty, injury, or if he transfers (this is assuming he doesn't win the starting job). Sure, he could take Des Carters place next year in this hypothetical scenario. But then where does Khari fit?

Braun could be the odd man out of Collins/Bignell/Tappan all in front of him, all of which are in the same class or younger than he is (in terms of eligibility remaining)

Toti could also be on the outside looking in if he can't usurp the spot a possible combo of Braun/Bignell/Stern.

I'm simply asking, as a coach, how do you convince some of these athletes to stick around as depth? Albeit, incredibly talented depth. But still just depth...
They might not start, but the only option would be to give them plenty of playing time. I'd hope they sub a bunch of guys in to keep everyone fresh. Especially with how the buy week fell.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:59 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

They might not start, but the only option would be to give them plenty of playing time. I'd hope they sub a bunch of guys in to keep everyone fresh. Especially with how the buy week fell.

Players with the right attitude find a way to contribute on a winning team. And smart coaches find a way to give contributors time where they can.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:30 pm

kwcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

Players with the right attitude find a way to contribute on a winning team. And smart coaches find a way to give contributors time where they can.
That is how I feel kwcat. It depends on the player and being committed to the team. NDSU gives players plenty of playing time and they definitely have stars at each position. They have no trouble with players transferring. Im not too worried about King because if he doesnt get the starting nod, he will play special teams. And I also see Khari eventually making the move to corner. With the linebackers, different players play different packages. Mix things up with the personnel. That is how you solve that problem. Sure we have 3 starters at linebacker but what if Braun plays in a nickel package and Tappan doesn't? Just thoughts on that situation.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:31 pm

Another thing to remember on being worried about keeping young talent. There is always more young talent eager and ready to contribute. We did recruit about 4-5 future linebackers this year.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:02 pm

IMO - it will take 2 games until our LB corps carries the description: "Proven"

as for depth and PT/transfer concerns -- I'm not all that concerned -- who was the last Bobcat LB to play all 4 years healthy? Maybe just my (faulty) memory, but it seems every time we get a FR or RFR who earns PT in any LB spot he only lasts a year or two, sometimes rebounding sometimes not. Am I wrong? Singleton is the only one recently I can think of.

LB studs of recent years
Owens - hurt in 2012
Na'a - played as true frosh, hurt in 2013 never quite the same
Grosulak - RFR earned starting spot and looked like future Buck Buchanan winner, hurt 2011, hurt 2012, retired 2013
Foster - hurt in 2013 never the same IMO
Moore - hurt in 2011 as RFR, came back strong

and that's just of top of my head --

here's the 2011 LB roster: I don't think too many, and many of these guys got banged up
2 Na'a Moeakiola LB 5-11 220 So. Euless, TX Trinity Business Management
9 Roger Trammell LB 6-1 215 Sr. Lewisville, TX Lewisville Tyler JC Political Science
23 Jody Owens LB 6-0 221 Jr. Mesquite, TX Horn HIstory
29 Cole Moore LB 6-2 221 Fr. Palo Alto, CA Lake Forest Prep University Studies
32 Heath Hunter LB 6-1 220 Fr. Bozeman, MT Bozeman Exercise Science
42 Clay Bignell LB 6-2 240 Sr. Helena, MT Helena Capital Business
43 Alex Singleton LB 6-2 210 Fr. Thousand Oaks, CA Thousand Oaks Sociology
44 Aleksei Grosulak LB 5-10 215 So. Billings, MT Central Chemical Engineering
51 Michael Foster LB 6-1 232 Fr. Seabrook, TX Clear Lake Civil Engineering
53 Matt Davis LB 6-3 195 Fr. Billings, MT Skyview University Studies
56 Josh Curry LB 6-2 220 Fr. Reno, NV Bishop Manogue University Studies
58 Rhett Young LB 6-0 220 Fr. Augusta, MT Augusta Animal Science
59 Trey Spirlin LB 6-2 220 Fr. Helena, MT Capital Sociology

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:05 pm

I like the fire all the linebackers showed in the scrimmage last Saturday. They all want to play. As long as the coaches keep them involved, even if not starting, that fire can turn into an eventual Chad Newell on the field.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:46 pm

I'm excited to see this years LB's. We have some studs, the ones who don't start will be a big part of special teams play, I guessing the first couple games there will be a rotation at all 3 spots. Seems like last year there was descent rotation at LB, mostly because of injuries.

Is there another scrimmage on Saturday?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Yes at 1:15

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:13 pm

kwcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

Well said guys - considering that any position group numbers/depth, and competition to be strong, players transferring is the lesser loss than the others.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!