Expectations

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Expectations

Post by Common Cat » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Trying to generate some talk around here with this thread. Over the past off-season the Cats made some major shifts in how they recruited and changed some staff positions around, most notably Kane's move to DC. We've kept an OC for three years now, longest in a while. Last year graduated many players that were around in the later McGhee era. Fast forward to now and this team seems like its completely different. What is the identity of this new crew? For so long it was McGhee, Kirk, Owens and Bleskin, fantastic bobcats who found ways to win. Before that was the age of Lulay- a return to relevancy and excitement. It changed last year to Prukop and the offense but was overshadowed by our ineptitude on defense. This year will be full of new faces. Personally, my expectations are very high and that is being realistic. I think we are going to be more aggressive in all phases. I like our coaching staff, Ash seemingly is evolving or loosening his reign. I kind of think it has to be "win now" mentality. We've got to get over the grizzly hump. Lastly, I think there is enough new players and pieces on this team that they will forge their own identity- not one that is tied to the past. Honestly, I think this could be the start of a new era in bobcat football- at least I hope. What are your expectations?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Expectations

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:23 pm

My expectations are a very deep run in the playoffs. I like to think we have enough depth on both offense and defense this year we'll look at the last few games healthy. It ought to be an exciting year for the Cats and I suspect they have some high expectations in that locker room this year.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:25 pm

If we're healthy I expect a semifinal appearance.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

CatsandCanesNation
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatsandCanesNation » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:36 pm

I fully expect a great season this year. If DP stays healthy a deep playoff run. With 2016 national championship!! The only thing that would stop this offensive juggernaut is a DP injury and next years reloading of the O line if the new batch doesn't gell. Our weapons on O is so loaded it is almost unfair and I feel our D is getting ready to turn the corner.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:32 pm

Are we talking expectations like wants/wishes/demands, or expectations like predictions?

I want to see 10-1 and a deep playoff run. I predict 9-2 and one playoff win.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:16 pm

To win the first game.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:12 pm

I expect the Offense to be lights out! Should be a track meet on grass/turf. The problem is defense. We lost 9 starters on a terrible defense. Marshall is still here. We have young players who will need more time to develop and transfers. We have touched on this topic many times. When was the last time we had a transfer make a significant difference much less 6 or 7 transfers. I think we need one more year for the defense to be good enough to support the offense and get us into and/or deep in the playoffs. Expectations ever year are too high for players who 1) have yet to show up (see last year), 2) have never played D-1 ball, 3) have never played college ball and 4) don't know our offense or defense.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:01 am

gtapp wrote:I expect the Offense to be lights out! Should be a track meet on grass/turf. The problem is defense. We lost 9 starters on a terrible defense. Marshall is still here. We have young players who will need more time to develop and transfers. We have touched on this topic many times. When was the last time we had a transfer make a significant difference much less 6 or 7 transfers. I think we need one more year for the defense to be good enough to support the offense and get us into and/or deep in the playoffs. Expectations ever year are too high for players who 1) have yet to show up (see last year), 2) have never played D-1 ball, 3) have never played college ball and 4) don't know our offense or defense.
It will be interesting to see if the defensive scheme is going to let our 'athletes' attack and go with their instincts instead of playing read/react in a complicated type defense. We may have to simplify the defense to get the D on all cylinders this year with the transfers as it will take some time. This might be a good question/article that Colter could run by Kane?
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:11 am

I would be interested in the above re type of D. Would also like to know how prevalent the read/react D is. I've always believed if you have to think (in sports anyway) you've lost. React. React react.

Perhaps things have changed in 40 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:33 am

My expectations are very high for this team. I know this isn't the schedule thread but our schedule is one (of many) reason why I'm optimistic. Case in point: SHSU brought in a bunch of transfers last year to plug a bunch of holes, and what we learned was that it took some time for everything to gel. I think they started 1-3 but ended up in the semis. I like the fact that we have until September 19 to put a cohesive team together. I don't want us to overlook Ft Lewis, but that game will be a great chance for us to see where we stand, and then there are two more weeks to correct and update. Instead of opening with a bunch of losses while this team comes together and Kane finds his groove, we have a chance to be 1-0 coming into a big game. We will be fresh, should be healthy, and we will be ready to play a great game in Cheney. Personally, I would be worried if was EWU about the body bag game. Instead of being in mid season form like some are saying, they could already experiencing mid/late season depth problems. Our guys will be ready.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:51 am

gtapp wrote:I expect the Offense to be lights out! Should be a track meet on grass/turf. The problem is defense. We lost 9 starters on a terrible defense. Marshall is still here. We have young players who will need more time to develop and transfers. We have touched on this topic many times. When was the last time we had a transfer make a significant difference much less 6 or 7 transfers. I think we need one more year for the defense to be good enough to support the offense and get us into and/or deep in the playoffs. Expectations ever year are too high for players who 1) have yet to show up (see last year), 2) have never played D-1 ball, 3) have never played college ball and 4) don't know our offense or defense.
Great Point gtapp. I'd say the only one that comes to mind is Knight (in the last few years), and he was mainly a goal line guy last year anyway.

I am hoping of the 7 guys we signed from JUCO, drop down etc.that we will get 2-3 starters. I'm hopeful that Tappan will come in and really help the LB's and start. I hope Des Carter will start at one safety spot and McCabe start at the other. I think Jesse Clark could have the potential to push for some very serious playing time at the opposite position from Fa'anano (spelling?)

I am also hopeful that King could make a transition to cb as he is to good a player to sit on the bench.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:12 am

Darth Yoda wrote:My expectations are very high for this team. I know this isn't the schedule thread but our schedule is one (of many) reason why I'm optimistic. Case in point: SHSU brought in a bunch of transfers last year to plug a bunch of holes, and what we learned was that it took some time for everything to gel. I think they started 1-3 but ended up in the semis. I like the fact that we have until September 19 to put a cohesive team together. I don't want us to overlook Ft Lewis, but that game will be a great chance for us to see where we stand, and then there are two more weeks to correct and update. Instead of opening with a bunch of losses while this team comes together and Kane finds his groove, we have a chance to be 1-0 coming into a big game. We will be fresh, should be healthy, and we will be ready to play a great game in Cheney. Personally, I would be worried if was EWU about the body bag game. Instead of being in mid season form like some are saying, they could already experiencing mid/late season depth problems. Our guys will be ready.
Excellent comparison with SHSU. I would think bringing our transfers up to speed on our simplified defense will speed up the learning curve relative to how long it took SHSU.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:22 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Great Point gtapp. I'd say the only one that comes to mind is Knight (in the last few years), and he was mainly a goal line guy last year anyway.

I am hoping of the 7 guys we signed from JUCO, drop down etc.that we will get 2-3 starters. I'm hopeful that Tappan will come in and really help the LB's and start. I hope Des Carter will start at one safety spot and McCabe start at the other. I think Jesse Clark could have the potential to push for some very serious playing time at the opposite position from Fa'anano (spelling?)

I am also hopeful that King could make a transition to cb as he is to good a player to sit on the bench.
I agree with both of you. A year ago at this time, many people were predicting that we were going to have the best defense in the BSC last season, and we all know how that turned out. I'm not saying that the defense won't be improved (it can't hardly be any worse) , but it's just really hard to predict how well things will come together, with so many new players. As both of you correctly pointed out, it's generally sort of a crapshoot with transfers, as to how well they pan out. The good news is, with how potent our offense should be, with even a modest improvement on defense, we could get back to where we were in 2011-2012, i.e. advancing as far as the QF in the playoffs. I'm not ready to predict anything better than that though, until we get a few games under our belt, and begin to get an idea of how much of an impact all the new players will have on the defense.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:15 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:My expectations are very high for this team. I know this isn't the schedule thread but our schedule is one (of many) reason why I'm optimistic. Case in point: SHSU brought in a bunch of transfers last year to plug a bunch of holes, and what we learned was that it took some time for everything to gel. I think they started 1-3 but ended up in the semis. I like the fact that we have until September 19 to put a cohesive team together. I don't want us to overlook Ft Lewis, but that game will be a great chance for us to see where we stand, and then there are two more weeks to correct and update. Instead of opening with a bunch of losses while this team comes together and Kane finds his groove, we have a chance to be 1-0 coming into a big game. We will be fresh, should be healthy, and we will be ready to play a great game in Cheney. Personally, I would be worried if was EWU about the body bag game. Instead of being in mid season form like some are saying, they could already experiencing mid/late season depth problems. Our guys will be ready.
Excellent comparison with SHSU. I would think bringing our transfers up to speed on our simplified defense will speed up the learning curve relative to how long it took SHSU.
Agree 100% on with the comparison to SHSU! Bill Snyder at KSU also comes to mind with his ability to recruit the JUCOs and have them contribute immediately. We get to see if our coaching staff can take a group of kids and teach them as fast as the SHSU staff taught their new kids last year (and remember, it was a new staff albeit they were in a pressurecooker environment with extremely high expectations prior to taking the SHSU job). Plus, the kids at SHSU have to be extremely fast learners or they would not gain entrance to that school academically. SHSU is second only to Rice in degree of difficulty for admittance in the state of Texas.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:30 am

Cat Grad wrote:[ SHSU is second only to Rice in degree of difficulty for admittance in the state of Texas.
https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/har ... n/s/texas/

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:[ SHSU is second only to Rice in degree of difficulty for admittance in the state of Texas.
I love governmental staticians...I really do! Once more there is a number of ways in which to spin, twist and turn a set of data in order to arrive at a preconceived notion. Throw in the number of applicants and I suppose this report is utilizing a chi-square because all the sudden there's two variables...

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Well, 2nd isn't that much different than 39th. After all..."if you're not 1st, you're last".

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:47 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
I love governmental staticians...I really do! Once more there is a number of ways in which to spin, twist and turn a set of data in order to arrive at a preconceived notion. Throw in the number of applicants and I suppose this report is utilizing a chi-square because all the sudden there's two variables...
So then who's data set did you use to acquire the number 2 ranking?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:53 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
I'm not a analyst by any means, but shouldn't you include in the data number of applicants? I would think that would be very relevant so seeing which school is more difficult to get into.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:23 am

allcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
So then who's data set did you use to acquire the number 2 ranking?
How about average SAT or ACT scores. Maybe utilize high school GPA. Give that the eye test and to have the test results indicate UT is more stringent than Texas Tech, A & M, Baylor alone ought to indicate the report is compiled by burnt orange and is therefore invalid on methodoligical grounds...