Expectations

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Expectations

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:26 am

How about acceptance rate ?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:29 am

I think for the defense we need a few starters, but we also need starter quality depth. It definitely will be a competitive fall camp.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:49 am

I feel confident that the defensive transfers will be able to get up to speed in a hurry. Every year in fall camp, the defense beats up on the offense for the first few weeks because defensive schemes are typically easier to learn than an offensive system. Now I'm not saying by any means that learning a defense is easy. But I'm confident that the transfers we bring in will be up to speed in a hurry and punishing BSC offenses by the end of the first month of the season.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:55 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:I feel confident that the defensive transfers will be able to get up to speed in a hurry. Every year in fall camp, the defense beats up on the offense for the first few weeks because defensive schemes are typically easier to learn than an offensive system. Now I'm not saying by any means that learning a defense is easy. But I'm confident that the transfers we bring in will be up to speed in a hurry and punishing BSC offenses by the end of the first month of the season.
I feel good about our secondary, but that is all for nothing if we can't generate a pass rush. The first scrimmage it sounded like we didn't get anywhere near the QB (one touch sack). Granted that was against a veteran OL. If we can't produce a pass rush and knock the QB's out of the pocket it will be another long year on D like last year (regardless who we have on the back end). Let's hope some of those transfers hit home and the guys from last year have made some big strides!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:48 pm

If we can stay relatively healthy, which is probably asking a lot considering the way that's gone over the past few years, I expect us to go 10-1. The one loss being to the grizz even if they're 5-5 coming into the game. A first round bye and to the semis at least.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:51 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:I feel confident that the defensive transfers will be able to get up to speed in a hurry. Every year in fall camp, the defense beats up on the offense for the first few weeks because defensive schemes are typically easier to learn than an offensive system. Now I'm not saying by any means that learning a defense is easy. But I'm confident that the transfers we bring in will be up to speed in a hurry and punishing BSC offenses by the end of the first month of the season.
I feel good about our secondary, but that is all for nothing if we can't generate a pass rush. The first scrimmage it sounded like we didn't get anywhere near the QB (one touch sack). Granted that was against a veteran OL. If we can't produce a pass rush and knock the QB's out of the pocket it will be another long year on D like last year (regardless who we have on the back end). Let's hope some of those transfers hit home and the guys from last year have made some big strides!
I'm willing to give the D line a break on that for now. We have our best D-lineman out (Sheridan) along with Fa'anono and Jeffries (wasn't he out all last spring with an ankle injury?) who are getting their first spring work in, going against an experienced, senior laden OL. Of course, I would like to see improvement throughout the spring and then into fall, but to begin, I'm willing to give them some slack. Some of the people I really expect to make an impact (Clark/LaBoy) don't get here until the fall. Very optimistic so far though!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:03 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
I'm willing to give the D line a break on that for now. We have our best D-lineman out (Sheridan) along with Fa'anono and Jeffries (wasn't he out all last spring with an ankle injury?) who are getting their first spring work in, going against an experienced, senior laden OL. Of course, I would like to see improvement throughout the spring and then into fall, but to begin, I'm willing to give them some slack. Some of the people I really expect to make an impact (Clark/LaBoy) don't get here until the fall. Very optimistic so far though!
I agree the spring session will do wonders for Fa'anono. He'll make a leap. If Clark makes grades that will be a lethal tandem. I also haven't given up on Wilcox. LaBoy and Jeffries round out a good rotation at DE. I like the DT depth going three deep there.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:04 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
We usually have 4-5 guys that really surprise (big strides on improvement) so hopefully 2-3 of those are on the DL and they get back to becoming a pass rushing machine. I know we are undermanned but the pass rush was a big reason every opposing QB tore us up last year.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:42 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
We usually have 4-5 guys that really surprise (big strides on improvement) so hopefully 2-3 of those are on the DL and they get back to becoming a pass rushing machine. I know we are undermanned but the pass rush was a big reason every opposing QB tore us up last year.
Am inclined to agree with CARDIAC here and take a wait and see approach. If we do not develop a decent pass rush, it will be much the same domino effect that we saw last year (no matter what the defensive scheme is).

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:05 pm

9/3/2015 W FORT LEWIS - will be a win with lots of first-time starters getting to see extended action.
9/19/2015 W Eastern Washington - We will play inspired football and we WILL win the shootout this time.
9/26/2015 L CAL POLY (Homecoming) - will be a game similar to last year but I don't think our defense will stop the run well enough this early in the year.
10/3/2015 W Northern Arizona - we have not played well at the dome in the past but our offense should be in a groove by this point in the season.
10/10/2015 W SACRAMENTO STATE - since this one is at home and the fact they have to replace Saffron, I believe we win this one.
10/17/2015 W Portland State - Good game to have on the road. Nothing Portland State does scares me.
10/24/2015 W EAST TENNESSEE STATE - Will be interesting. No idea on these guys since they are starting up again but should be a convincing win.
10/31/2015 W North Dakota - If their offense improves at all this year, this may be the darkhorse for the Big Sky champion. Returning 8 starters on defense. We will still win.
11/7/2015 W SOUTHERN UTAH - Scary game going into November because they are a spread attack and a defense that has some stars. At home, we will win.
11/14/2015 L Idaho State - This is a loss for me. Now if Idaho State goes into a early season funk, mentally they may crumble. But I see them as a great offense and a young improved defense that will play inspired all year.
11/21/2015 W MONTANA - We erase the past two years against Montana, and Prukop proves why he is the difference maker we missed last year.

Expectations:

I am predicting a 9-2 record with two conference losses. Depending on what the rest of the league does, that may win us the championship or it may earn us a first round bye. It also may only earn us a playoff game and that is it. Regardless, 8-3 will probably get you into the playoffs.

The offense will be the obvious strength of this team and they will be even better than last year. But everything comes down to Dakota staying healthy. Every aspect of the offense operates at a higher level when he is under center. If he doesn't stay healthy, we have a shot with Jake under center but it probably won't be enough to push us deep into the playoffs or even into the playoffs. That is all I'm going to say on the offense. Expectations are high and they should be for good reason.

The defense is one gigantic question mark...everywhere. Gtapp's expectations for the defense are realistic but here is how I view the defense by unit going into fall camp:

Defensive Ends - The transfers will provide competition but personally I thought Tyrone Fa'anono was one of our best overall defensive ends last year. He plays the run well and can rush the passer. As for the bandit position, it is up for grabs with Devin Jeffires, Jessie Clark (if he makes it), Zach Hutchins, etc. Jessie Clark looks the part but we won't know until he gets here and starts playing. This unit will really have to improve next year.

Defensive Tackle - Taylor Sheridan will always have some bumps and bruises but we have a good rotation at both nose and 3-tech with about 5-6 guys here. Do we have a guy who can disrupt the pocket and push the pocket? Connor Thomas, Nate Bignell, Joe Naotala, and Tucker Yates will all need to take the next step.

Linebacker - We can talk about the two transfers (Tappan and Stern) as being two key pieces next year, but overall I have viewed Grant Collins and Mac Bignell as two of the starters since day one. Grant and Mac are playing lights out in spring ball. I think the other spot will come down to Blake Braun and Marcus Tappan. Stern may push Mac but he has improved so much over the past two years and he has great instincts as a Sam linebacker. Feeling better about this group because we also have good depth. My only worry with these guys would be stopping the run. They are physical enough but we saw what happened to our three good linebackers last year against the run and pass when our d-line didn't hold up.

Corners - Keeton is a better run stopper than cover guy. But whether we like it or not, he will be the starter on one side. The other side comes down to everyone else in competition. Really excited to see who wins that spot coming out of fall camp. Will probably come down to Jaylen Price and Bryce Alley.

Safety - May be our strongest unit. A lot of talent on the back end. I believe that McCabe, King, Carter, and Garcia are all starters so it will be interesting to see how each are used and if some move to corner. Both Carter and Garcia have experience at corner at the collegiate and high school level (Khari played nickel at times last year; Des played corner at Junior College). I definitely like how confident McCabe and King are on the field. They like to lay the wood and aren't afraid to mix it up.

Basically, I still see our weakness on defense as the defensive line so as long as they improve, everything else should fall into place based on the talent we have on the roster.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:29 pm

That's an excellent write up Vim - good analysis, especially on the D. I agree with the 9-2 record, playoff team, but 8-3 would not surprise me - and likely still gets us into the playoffs. When I look at EWU, CP, ISU, and UM - I see us winning two and losing two, and some other team could upset us along the way. So long story short, 7-4 or worse would be a huge disappointment with our schedule.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:00 pm

I have us at 9 wins with one of the losses at NAU. Hate that place. I think we have one other bad day at EWU, ND or ISU. 6-0 at home. If we get to 10-0 or 9-1 before Cat/grizz and there's not much on the line, I think disaster could strike again. Hope not.