Preseason Favorites to win the Big Sky in 2015

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bigkid
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Preseason Favorites to win the Big Sky in 2015

Post by bigkid » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:23 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
aucat wrote:Just curious, I really don't follow UM at all, but since they beat the @#$%^& out of us last year,
why are we magically ahead of them? Did they lose 90% of their starting lineup??
1) They are breaking in a new starting quarterback
2) We didn't have our starter last year in that game
3) They lost premier starters on defense
4) They will be working on a new system
5) Too many question marks with them
Correct. Most Griz fans won't admit it but last year's game was a fluke. Not only did we have to use our #2 QB but every possible thing that could have gone wrong in that game offensively, did. I think everyone knows that if we had a healthy Dakota Prukop and the Griz would have had to start their backup - that game turns out much, much differently. The year before... we know DM and others were playing hurt, but I think UM was flat out better than us. 2012 - we were the better team. 2011 UM was the better team. 2010 - we were the better team. Pretty even recently

Um won't contend this year for all those reasons and for the simple fact that everything is new from the HC to the QB and in between. Because they have a stiff defense they will do better than 500, how much remains to be seen. They can't be taken lightly, but too many variables to list them as contenders. IMO
You never paid up on last years bet where the Griz defensive line made the scat o-line look like a d2 line. Call it what you want but Bleskin had zero chance that day. Prukop would have not faired any better. Pure and simple the cats got whooped at every position on the field in Missoula. This years defense will be just as good and this years offense has the making of WOW!
So let's go double or nothing.....only lets make sure we pay up 8)

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:08 am

codecat wrote:
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
aucat wrote:Just curious, I really don't follow UM at all, but since they beat the @#$%^& out of us last year,
why are we magically ahead of them? Did they lose 90% of their starting lineup??
Correct. Most Griz fans won't admit it but last year's game was a fluke. Not only did we have to use our #2 QB but every possible thing that could have gone wrong in that game offensively, did. I think everyone knows that if we had a healthy Dakota Prukop and the Griz would have had to start their backup - that game turns out much, much differently. The year before... we know DM and others were playing hurt, but I think UM was flat out better than us. 2012 - we were the better team. 2011 UM was the better team. 2010 - we were the better team. Pretty even recently.
Do agree that the game turns out differently if Dakota would have started simply because he is mobile. To me the elephant in the living room is why did an offensive line, composed of 1 senior, 3 juniors, and 1 sophomore, that coach Mac had since their first year not provide our #2 QB with any pass protection whatsoever. Granted, the griz couldn't have sent the house if a more mobile QB had been back there, but I feel our O-line was sub-standard in that area for quite a few years now.
Yep, that was their game plan all along. They were not scared of Bleskin beating them with his legs (even though he showed he could do that some against ISU). Prukop would have made a big difference with how UM played us. I agree though, the OL did NOT play well in that game. I do give some credit to the Griz though as they had a great DL last year. They will still be decent on the DL this year, but they will for sure miss those guys.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:11 am

Call it what you want but Bleskin had zero chance that day. Prukop would have not faired any better.
Watch any of Prukop's starts last year. Saying that he wouldn't have faired any better is a pretty easy statement to make because you guys won. However, it is a different offense when he is on the field. With Bleskin, you guys pinned your ears back the entire game because you knew the run threat wasn't really there with him as the signal caller. And once again, 6 turnovers inside Griz territory, 3 of which were inside the 10 yard line. I agree that our offensive line failed in the pass pro that day but turnovers were the name of that game.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:15 am

bigkid wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Correct. Most Griz fans won't admit it but last year's game was a fluke. Not only did we have to use our #2 QB but every possible thing that could have gone wrong in that game offensively, did. I think everyone knows that if we had a healthy Dakota Prukop and the Griz would have had to start their backup - that game turns out much, much differently. The year before... we know DM and others were playing hurt, but I think UM was flat out better than us. 2012 - we were the better team. 2011 UM was the better team. 2010 - we were the better team. Pretty even recently

Um won't contend this year for all those reasons and for the simple fact that everything is new from the HC to the QB and in between. Because they have a stiff defense they will do better than 500, how much remains to be seen. They can't be taken lightly, but too many variables to list them as contenders. IMO
You never paid up on last years bet where the Griz defensive line made the scat o-line look like a d2 line. Call it what you want but Bleskin had zero chance that day. Prukop would have not faired any better. Pure and simple the cats got whooped at every position on the field in Missoula. This years defense will be just as good and this years offense has the making of WOW!
So let's go double or nothing.....only lets make sure we pay up 8)
Hey, what is that about??? 8) I thought I did buy dinner for everyone!!! I might have to pull up the receipts on the card to verify and will of course pay off my debt. The point in the post THIS year is not what happened LAST year. No doubt that game was a total Cat train wreck, but having won at home against our number 2 QB should require some reflection. The facts for this year are that all things considered the griz will get a chance for the 1st time to place Prukop, and our offense should be better all the way around from last year. The big question for the Cats is will we be better???

Good question! I believe we will only because we can't have a worse defense than last years. It's impossible and it won't happen. We will contend for the league title. I think the griz have an uphill battle to contend. Too many new things to see you going far beyond 7-4 IMO!

bigkid
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bigkid » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:37 pm

I guess we amended the bet from hat disgrace to dinner. So how about hat disgrace this year for a 3-0 run culminating at cat stadium. 8-3 with losses to ewu, NDSU and liberty.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:31 pm

bigkid wrote:I guess we amended the bet from hat disgrace to dinner. So how about hat disgrace this year for a 3-0 run culminating at cat stadium. 8-3 with losses to ewu, NDSU and liberty.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy! 7-4 and a loss to the Cats in the Lair! :lol: =D^

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:51 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
bigkid wrote:I guess we amended the bet from hat disgrace to dinner. So how about hat disgrace this year for a 3-0 run culminating at cat stadium. 8-3 with losses to ewu, NDSU and liberty.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy! 7-4 and a loss to the Cats in the Lair! :lol: =D^
:D If they lose to the cats here, they're more like 6-5 or 5-6. Pretty likely losses at Poly & ISU too.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:16 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
codecat wrote:
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Correct. Most Griz fans won't admit it but last year's game was a fluke. Not only did we have to use our #2 QB but every possible thing that could have gone wrong in that game offensively, did. I think everyone knows that if we had a healthy Dakota Prukop and the Griz would have had to start their backup - that game turns out much, much differently. The year before... we know DM and others were playing hurt, but I think UM was flat out better than us. 2012 - we were the better team. 2011 UM was the better team. 2010 - we were the better team. Pretty even recently.
Do agree that the game turns out differently if Dakota would have started simply because he is mobile. To me the elephant in the living room is why did an offensive line, composed of 1 senior, 3 juniors, and 1 sophomore, that coach Mac had since their first year not provide our #2 QB with any pass protection whatsoever. Granted, the griz couldn't have sent the house if a more mobile QB had been back there, but I feel our O-line was sub-standard in that area for quite a few years now.
Yep, that was their game plan all along. They were not scared of Bleskin beating them with his legs (even though he showed he could do that some against ISU). Prukop would have made a big difference with how UM played us. I agree though, the OL did NOT play well in that game. I do give some credit to the Griz though as they had a great DL last year. They will still be decent on the DL this year, but they will for sure miss those guys.
Yes credit where credit is due, the griz did have an excellent DL last year.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:49 pm

I watched a number of Griz games last year and that offense was horrible! At times it was one of the worst in the Big Sky. With Stitt, as hard as it is for me to say, they can only improve. I liked Delaney, but I think Stitt is going to be an upgrade in coaching. They also bring in solid recruits every year. They will be tough.

As for the Cat-Griz game, combine our turnovers with our leaky defense and the outcome was definite. Nobody can win with six turnovers. Our defense was bad. Our offense was out of sync. No question we were one of the best offenses in the Big Sky with Prukop.

As for this year, we will place ahead of the Griz. Not because they are getting worse, but because we will be better than last year. We have a new look defense with both personnel and coaching. The offense continues to gel with new talent like Sandland to complement Prukop, Brekke and Newell.

I fully expect the Cats to place one or two in the Big Sky next year. Unfortunately, I won't be surprised to see the arch enemy as either one or two as well...

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:09 pm

I don't think there are any new and revolutionary offenses in football these days. The Grizz are at least two years behind if they think that speeding up the offense is going to make a big difference. If their defense is solid and can withstand a "three and out " now and then, then they will be moderately successful. We thought that the "Oregon offense" was going to be the end all last year, but it depended on the defense to make the offense successful.

It is comical to see that the U of M is so excited about their offense like it is something never before seen! But I think they will see in the end that football is football, and there are no magical formulas

2024 Resume dominance

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:36 am

Agreed. The Cats won't run a gimmick offense. Ride our running backs and OL and the rest will work itself out. This could be the most potent offense the Cats have ever seen this year. If the spread is not working run the Fn ball down their throats (see ISU and SDSU GAMES ) until they have 8-9 in the box. We can dictate to the D ALL NIGHT LONG. I love that this team is built for warm and cold weather. Jet Fly sweep may work in the tropics but not in the Frozen Montana tundra.
There is a lot to be excited about. Improve the D by 20 percent and it will propel us deep into the playoffs.

Side topic: what is the over and under on Newell TDs this year.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:44 am

I think a person would be a fool if you didn't believe MSU thinks THIS is the year. Pieces are in place, and for the coaching changes and the number of transfers brought in just to plug holes - at least 1 just for a year - I think the staff and admin heard the disappointment from last year.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:23 pm

KittieKop wrote:I think a person would be a fool if you didn't believe MSU thinks THIS is the year. Pieces are in place, and for the coaching changes and the number of transfers brought in just to plug holes - at least 1 just for a year - I think the staff and admin heard the disappointment from last year.
Yep, MSU is the favorite

NO QUESTION

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:19 am

MSU should be a pre season favorite this year, especially with that high powered offense. Even if you guys lose to EWU again, it doesn't count for the conference standings.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:43 am

I'm not ready to declare MSU a favorite.....yet. I need to see where there's been a noticeable improvement on defense, and that Prukop has indeed learned to be a little more pass first, not scramble first. I think the MSU coaching staff has taken the approach that they're sick of being just a playoff team, exiting after 1 or 2 games. It seems the recruiting approach this year was different - it felt different. It felt more like trying to fix immediate needs, not recruiting just to develop depth that might come into play in 2 year or so. It seems the coaches believe this year is the year. Also makes me wonder a little bit if Coach Ash is starting to have end of career thoughts or not. Just feels to me there's more of a push to produce THIS year, than there has been in past years. Or maybe its just me.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?