Preseason Favorites to win the Big Sky in 2015

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Preseason Favorites to win the Big Sky in 2015

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:40 pm

I want to hear what you think the Coaches and Media will predict (They're usually very close to each other), not what you think. Of course you'll pick the CATS! :D

I think the top five, in order, will be:

EWU
MSU
Cal Poly
UM
ISU

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Preseason Favorites to win the Big Sky in 2015

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:51 pm

If our defensive pass rush improves just a little bit, I believe we will win this conference. No doubt!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:17 pm

catatac wrote:I want to hear what you think the Coaches and Media will predict (They're usually very close to each other), not what you think. Of course you'll pick the CATS! :D

I think the top five, in order, will be:

EWU
MSU
Cal Poly
UM
ISU
I think you're pretty close there... although it could be MSU on top simply because they're the only one of those teams returning a QB starter.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:20 pm

I think they'll go:

Cal Poly
EWU
ISU
MSU
UM

I think it'll be the same five teams, but I really don't have a good feel of the order. Every team has a big question mark somewhere. MSU's is defense. UM's is new system/d-line/RB. EWU's is QB, ISU's is QB, Cal Poly is Defense/RB.

Scheduling is interesting as MSU plays all four of the other teams I listed, but the home/away schedule very much works in favor of MSU in my opinion. I think it is better to have EWU and ISU on the road than UM and Cal Poly. Both ISU and EWU are easy road trips, unlike travelling to Cali 3 times last season. Cat/Griz recent history doesn't strongly favor either road/home but still I think better at home. Poly is simply a tough trip.

MSU doesn't play 3 of the bottom 4 teams from a year ago. UNC, Weber, Davis. So on paper the Cats play a tough Big Sky schedule.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:34 pm

1.EWU
2.MSU
3.um
4.ISU
5.CP

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:52 am

EWU, MSU, Poly, ISU are all top dogs in this league this year. MSU wins the conference because we actually have a bit of a defense this year!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:32 am

No love for North Dakota? They begin the year with Wyoming, Drake and NDSU. If they come out of that start 2-1, they coast the rest of the year in conference play. Their offense will be their strength this year. They are as good as gone.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:51 am

catsrback76 wrote:EWU, MSU, Poly, ISU are all top dogs in this league this year. MSU wins the conference because we actually have a bit of a defense this year!
If our defense can get the occasional stop on 4th and 10, it will be a pretty good year.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:11 am

Cat Grad wrote:No love for North Dakota? They begin the year with Wyoming, Drake and NDSU. If they come out of that start 2-1, they coast the rest of the year in conference play. Their offense will be their strength this year. They are as good as gone.
If UND's offense is a strength this year and their defense is anything like last year's, they will be a factor in the conference.

But they aren't going to beat ndsu or Wyoming. They'll start 1-2.

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Cledus wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:EWU, MSU, Poly, ISU are all top dogs in this league this year. MSU wins the conference because we actually have a bit of a defense this year!
If our defense can get the occasional stop on 4th and 10, it will be a pretty good year.
Heh, yup. The other big issue is replacing all the starters we lost. It's a lot more than I thought.

The upside is that the defense can only improve.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:43 am

Bobcat Sig wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Heh, yup. The other big issue is replacing all the starters we lost. It's a lot more than I thought.

The upside is that the defense can only improve.
Said a lot there! :D Only improve is our goal...and should we, we will be on top. IMO

mflats
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mflats » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:55 am

Cat grad--

what does "as good as gone mean'
thanks

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Just curious, I really don't follow UM at all, but since they beat the @#$%^& out of us last year,
why are we magically ahead of them? Did they lose 90% of their starting lineup??

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:40 pm

aucat wrote:Just curious, I really don't follow UM at all, but since they beat the @#$%^& out of us last year,
why are we magically ahead of them? Did they lose 90% of their starting lineup??
1) They are breaking in a new starting quarterback
2) We didn't have our starter last year in that game
3) They lost premier starters on defense
4) They will be working on a new system
5) Too many question marks with them
Last edited by VimSince03 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:41 pm

aucat wrote:Just curious, I really don't follow UM at all, but since they beat the @#$%^& out of us last year,
Because this is not egriz. :D I think the coaches and media will look at them having a new coach, with a new offense, and needing to find a new starting QB as reasons to put them third. Just my completely unbiased opinion. 8)

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:18 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Correct. Most Griz fans won't admit it but last year's game was a fluke. Not only did we have to use our #2 QB but every possible thing that could have gone wrong in that game offensively, did. I think everyone knows that if we had a healthy Dakota Prukop and the Griz would have had to start their backup - that game turns out much, much differently. The year before... we know DM and others were playing hurt, but I think UM was flat out better than us. 2012 - we were the better team. 2011 UM was the better team. 2010 - we were the better team. Pretty even recently.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:24 pm

catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Correct. Most Griz fans won't admit it but last year's game was a fluke. Not only did we have to use our #2 QB but every possible thing that could have gone wrong in that game offensively, did. I think everyone knows that if we had a healthy Dakota Prukop and the Griz would have had to start their backup - that game turns out much, much differently. The year before... we know DM and others were playing hurt, but I think UM was flat out better than us. 2012 - we were the better team. 2011 UM was the better team. 2010 - we were the better team. Pretty even recently.
Um won't contend this year for all those reasons and for the simple fact that everything is new from the HC to the QB and in between. Because they have a stiff defense they will do better than 500, how much remains to be seen. They can't be taken lightly, but too many variables to list them as contenders. IMO

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:02 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Um won't contend this year for all those reasons and for the simple fact that everything is new from the HC to the QB and in between. Because they have a stiff defense they will do better than 500, how much remains to be seen. They can't be taken lightly, but too many variables to list them as contenders. IMO
I wouldn't say that they won't be contenders. They'll be sniffing around at the end. Tough schedule and the variables above make me think they'll be in the mode of catch up at the end and not front-runner. The spread offense concept is becoming so common now that moving to it probably won't take as much transition time as they've seen it so many times with different teams that the concepts won't be as new. They'll still be good.
Last edited by tdub on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Cledus wrote:
Lets hope they get the stop on 2nd and 10 and 3r and 10 too.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:31 pm

catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Do agree that the game turns out differently if Dakota would have started simply because he is mobile. To me the elephant in the living room is why did an offensive line, composed of 1 senior, 3 juniors, and 1 sophomore, that coach Mac had since their first year not provide our #2 QB with any pass protection whatsoever. Granted, the griz couldn't have sent the house if a more mobile QB had been back there, but I feel our O-line was sub-standard in that area for quite a few years now.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!