Bobcat Players who became Head Coaches in high school/colleg

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

77matcat
Member # Retired

Re: Bobcat Players who became Head Coaches in high school/co

Post by 77matcat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:35 pm

McElroy???? Did play for cats and did coach football at Butte High. Uncertain about times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:36 pm

Guessing 68 to 72.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:38 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:Mick Dennehy Butte High.
Mick played for the Griz. Not certain but I think he may have been the other All-Conference safety with our own Mr. Monte Boston????
Right...and I always get Mick mixed up with this guy. The Butte High coach I'm thinking of won the state championship in 1991 and was a Bobcat DB teammate of Dennis Erickson. John....M-something. Need help from the audience. :-k

Jon McElroy -- great guy and I loved him as my coach. He played WR and Safety for the Cats from 1966-1970 under Bobcat legends (and Butte legends) Sonny Lubick and Jim Sweeney. (I for one miss that strong Bobcat-Butte connection)

Jon was HC at Butte High from 1976-1993, won AA Championships in 1977, 1982 and 1991

I played for him in HS and did not know he played for the Cats until years later - even when Cat, Griz, Cougar, and Ram coaches visited in HS he never tried to talk his recruited players in any direction, just let us talk with those coaches and take our own path. After I signed with the Cats, he asked me several questions about the process, reasons why I chose MSU over UM and CSU (when Lubick was starting there) -- he just listened and said "congrats" and work hard, and that 'Bozeman has a hell of an engineering school.' I was blessed to have coach Mac as HC and Mike Anderson as a position coach (Colt's dad). Great people
http://mtstandard.com/sports/high-schoo ... 03286.html

33MONTEBOSTON33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 33MONTEBOSTON33 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:28 pm

Jon McElroy as a Bobcat from 1966-68. I got to Bobcats in 1969-73. I did not know Coach McElroy but his reputation as a player lingered for years in the locker room and on the team and coaches.

Mick Dennehy was my most heated rival and competitor. He was a the strong safety selection for All Big sky Conference team in 1972.

I was the free safety selection that year 1972 fro the CATS>

Gordie Schlabs Jr. played for his first 2 years at MSU in 1969-1970. Son of the great Coach Schlabs. Gordie was a great track man and played football but then transferred to Eastern, (I think).

Anyway a few clarifications

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:31 am

Thanks!!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:03 am

JDoub wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:Mick Dennehy Butte High.
Mick played for the Griz. Not certain but I think he may have been the other All-Conference safety with our own Mr. Monte Boston????
Right...and I always get Mick mixed up with this guy. The Butte High coach I'm thinking of won the state championship in 1991 and was a Bobcat DB teammate of Dennis Erickson. John....M-something. Need help from the audience. :-k

Jon McElroy -- great guy and I loved him as my coach. He played WR and Safety for the Cats from 1966-1970 under Bobcat legends (and Butte legends) Sonny Lubick and Jim Sweeney. (I for one miss that strong Bobcat-Butte connection)

Jon was HC at Butte High from 1976-1993, won AA Championships in 1977, 1982 and 1991

I played for him in HS and did not know he played for the Cats until years later - even when Cat, Griz, Cougar, and Ram coaches visited in HS he never tried to talk his recruited players in any direction, just let us talk with those coaches and take our own path. After I signed with the Cats, he asked me several questions about the process, reasons why I chose MSU over UM and CSU (when Lubick was starting there) -- he just listened and said "congrats" and work hard, and that 'Bozeman has a hell of an engineering school.' I was blessed to have coach Mac as HC and Mike Anderson as a position coach (Colt's dad). Great people
http://mtstandard.com/sports/high-schoo ... 03286.html
A minor correction...Butte High beat CMR for the state title in 1981. CMR beat Capital for the title in 1982.