2015 Starters/Two Deep

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

smallcat82
BobcatNation Redshirt

2015 Starters/Two Deep

Post by smallcat82 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:47 pm

What is the future looking like for this young team?

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2015 Starters/Two Deep

Post by gtapp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:53 pm

You can probably predict the offensive starters but the only sure starter on defense will be Sheridan and maybe Keaton.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:57 pm

gtapp wrote:You can probably predict the offensive starters but the only sure starter on defense will be Sheridan and maybe Keaton.
True. And even at that, where is Sheridan going to play? Spring ball ought to be interesting for the staff but I doubt anything on the defense is set before the first game, whoever and wherever that might be.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:29 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
gtapp wrote:You can probably predict the offensive starters but the only sure starter on defense will be Sheridan and maybe Keaton.
True. And even at that, where is Sheridan going to play? Spring ball ought to be interesting for the staff but I doubt anything on the defense is set before the first game, whoever and wherever that might be.
Sheridan will start. He's a fifth-year senior who earned second-team All-Big Sky last season.

Here's the likely two-deep right now:

LT - SR John Weidenaar, FR Wade Webster/SO Dylan Mahoney
LG - SR Kyle Godecke, FR Joey Marinello
C - SR Joel Horn, JR Doug Hanson
RG - JR JP Flynn, JR Dillon Fraley
RT - SR Alex Eekhoff, SO Dylan Mahoney
QB - JR Dakota Prukop, SR Jake Bleskin
WR - SO Mitch Herbert, SR Manny Kalfell
WR - SR Tanner Roderick/SO Justin Paige, SO Jayshawn Gates
WR - SR Mitch Griebel, SO Jayshawn Gates/JR Brandon Brown
RB - JR Gunnar Brekke/ JR Chad Newell/SR Anthony Knight, Tavon Dodd
TE - SR Beau Sandland, SO Curtis Amos, JR Austin Barth
KR - SR Mitch Griebel
K - SO Luke Daly

DE - SO Tyrone Fa'anono, JR Shiloh LaBoy, JR Robert Wilcox (if he sticks around)
DT - SR Taylor Sheridan, SR Nate Bignell
DT - JR Joe Naotala, JR Conner Thomas
DE - JR Zach Hutchins, JR Shiloh LaBoy, SO Devin Jeffries
SLB - SO Blake Braun, JR Zach Stern, SO Mac Bignell
MLB - FR Grant Collins, SR Robert Walsh
WLB - SO Wyatt Christensen, ??? Maybe try Stern or Bignell or even Collins here?
CB - SR Bryson Keeton, FR Braelan Evans
FS - SR Des Carter/SO Khari Garcia, FR DeMonte King
SS - JR Bryson McCabe, SO Khari Garcia/FR DeMonte King
CB - SO Bryce Alley/ SO Jaylen Price

P - SR Trevor Bolton, FR Matt Stewart

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:31 pm

I think Grant Collins and Braun will be starting at LB with Toti or Christensen as the 3rd. I think Alley gets the 2nd corner spot and Garcia, Carter and King all getting significant time at safety.

Edit: did I miss something about Toti (don't see him on your list, Colter)?
Last edited by CatBlitz on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:32 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Sheridan will start. He's a fifth-year senior who earned second-team All-Big Sky last season.

KR - SR Mitch Griebel
K - SO Luke Daly

DE - SO Tyrone Fa'anono, JR Shiloh LaBoy, JR Robert Wilcox (if he sticks around)
WLB - SO Wyatt Christensen, ??? Maybe try Stern or Bignell or even Collins here?

You beat me to it! I wonder at the RB spot what we do there. So much talent cause I think LaSane is a fantastic player, hope he sticks around a little longer. I'm excited to see that competition in Spring Ball

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by DicTater » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:07 pm

I would not be surprised to see Braun moved to the Will given that Christiansen has had the injury issues and given that Mac Bignell, Toti and new recruit Zach Stern all play the Sam. And, with more and more teams using 4 WRs all the time, speed is at a premium. I certainly would not be surprised if the Cats play a lot of nickel this year. As Ioane said to the Trib, you have to put your personnel in a position to succeed. Having LBs covering WRs is not the way to do that.

BobcatLifer
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatLifer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:07 pm

I've heard big things on Yates too, wonder if he'll crack two deep as rs freshman

MSUCan Do It!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:32 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

KR - SR Mitch Griebel
K - SO Luke Daly

I know he's going to start but where? They appear to have several options for this kid given what they'll look like on defense next year.

CatsandCanesNation
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatsandCanesNation » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:47 pm

I am assuming Brekke will KR again. Kid is explosive. I think Amos is a redshirt fresh. And I also believe Mcabe will be soph not JR?

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Here's a scheme question that maybe one of you x's and o's guys will be able to help me with. What is the responsibilities of a nose tackle as compared to the 3 tech DT? Is a nose tackle more of a run stuffer while the 3 tech pushes the pocket? And does our nose tackle play 0 tech or maybe 1 tech shade and what would determine why he's in that technique? And finally, which position does Sheridan play and what makes him more suited for that position over the other?

Sorry if this is kind of off topic. I've just been really curious about this for the last year or so.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Colter, are you thinking Wilcox will retire due to injury? Or he will get buried and quit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:55 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:Colter, are you thinking Wilcox will retire due to injury? Or he will get buried and quit?

I think it has to be injury. I would think he's good enough to get in the rotation when healthy.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:59 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:Colter, are you thinking Wilcox will retire due to injury? Or he will get buried and quit?

I think it has to be injury. I would think he's good enough to get in the rotation when healthy.
I would totally agree, I was hoping he would come back healthy and could be close to starting. He definitely has some skills

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

I would totally agree, I was hoping he would come back healthy and could be close to starting. He definitely has some skills

It's my understanding he had another surgery and he experienced a family tragedy. He's had such a tough run — goes to Grambling State because he's a legacy kid there and the football program is in complete shabbles. Comes to MSU, blows his knee, has surgery with a patella graf, comes back, tears his patella. Terrible. I don't know if he'd want me reporting his recent loss, but it's harder than any injury. I feel for the kid and hope he finds good fortune very soon.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:29 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

It's my understanding he had another surgery and he experienced a family tragedy. He's had such a tough run — goes to Grambling State because he's a legacy kid there and the football program is in complete shabbles. Comes to MSU, blows his knee, has surgery with a patella graf, comes back, tears his patella. Terrible. I don't know if he'd want me reporting his recent loss, but it's harder than any injury. I feel for the kid and hope he finds good fortune very soon.
All of that is terrible. I hope for his sake he can stick it out up here and get a great degree.

Wish him the best

Cat Pride

Post by Cat Pride » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:21 am

I bet Yates not being in the mix with Bignell at DT was an oversight by Colter.

Why is everyone so high on Roderick? He might as well redshirted all but one game last season. I'd take Gates or Paige over Tanner at this point.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:15 am

Cat Pride wrote:I bet Yates not being in the mix with Bignell at DT was an oversight by Colter.

Why is everyone so high on Roderick? He might as well redshirted all but one game last season. I'd take Gates or Paige over Tanner at this point.
agreed. maybe for his senior year he will figure it out.... but yeah, for some reason Roderick just has not been able to live up to his HUGE potential.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:23 am

Not to be 'Johnny Raincloud', but wasn't the main goal of this years recruiting effort to get better pass rushers, particularly at DE? I believe Coach Ash stated "We have to get pass rushers" in his end-of-season interview. If this projected 2-deep is correct all we've done at that position up til now is get a projected back-up. I hope there is a surprise out there somewhere that can make an impact in 2015, whether it be on signing day or a drop down in the spring. GO CATS!

tdub

Post by tdub » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:05 am

The MICKSTER wrote:Not to be 'Johnny Raincloud', but wasn't the main goal of this years recruiting effort to get better pass rushers, particularly at DE? I believe Coach Ash stated "We have to get pass rushers" in his end-of-season interview. If this projected 2-deep is correct all we've done at that position up til now is get a projected back-up. I hope there is a surprise out there somewhere that can make an impact in 2015, whether it be on signing day or a drop down in the spring. GO CATS!
How many incoming true freshmen or transfers do you expect to be given a starting nod on an unofficial depth chart created by Colter before even stepping foot on the field in Bozeman? Some of these kids may be starters.

Put some sunshine in your life Johnny Raincloud. :D

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable