Bill Kollar

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

33MONTEBOSTON33
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Bill Kollar

Post by 33MONTEBOSTON33 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:16 pm

I personally had the privilege of playing for 3 years at MSU with Bill Kollar. He was recruited by former CAT coach Joe Tiller. Tiller was from that area. So "Wild Bill" shows up in Bozeman in 1970 at the fieldhouse in the old weight room as a recruit from Ohio. His buddy Leon Potkay and Kollar were there together, both from Ohio. Both were gangly, lanky and cocky too. After over 3 years of practicing and playing 30 games with him, there are lots of "wild Bill Kollar stories out there. Kollar and Potkay both literally lived and breathed football and lived in the weight room. I ran a lot, stairs in fieldhouse, sprints, basketball while these two ate and ate and ate and then went back to the weight room after dinner. Kollar invented snarfing jello in the dorm. One bite, one breath and a whole square of jello was vaporized. Kollar was one funny dude and always cracking jokes, dissing on me and telling me I could be great like him if I just would lift weights. He and Potkay grew and grew and look what they become. In fact, I think it was Coach Holland who nicknamed him "Wild Bill". I can honestly say he was the quickest, fastest, strongest lineman I have ever seen. I remember against Idaho State in Bozeman it was 4th down and ISU was going to kick the winning field goal. In the huddle, Kollar told me to follow him he would take out 3 guys and for me to go block the kick as I was faster than him. He took out those 3, cleared a hole and I got to the kicker and blocked it thanks to Superman. He was hilarious in the huddle too. Always wanting to know why the rest of us were playing as hard as he was. Very funny.

Between Kollar, Potkay, Sam McCullum there were plenty of stories. I wish MSU would do more to honor Bill, he was an asset and a great addition to CAT football.

Monte Boston 69-73

Bobcat Jim
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Jim » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:51 pm

Some good stories, but I have to say snarfing jello was going on in 1966 when I started school.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:08 am

I think this thread has just identified the "GENERATION GAP" on BN! Those of us who remember these days...and those who are scratching their heads saying, "who?"! :lol:

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:49 am

catsrback76 wrote:I think this thread has just identified the "GENERATION GAP" on BN! Those of us who remember these days...and those who are scratching their heads saying, "who?"! :lol:
You got that right! Somebody told me yesterday my grandson is probably older than most of the posters in here! The steer wrestling stuff that Kollar did doesn't seem to get mentioned much. Was that Little Johns right after they moved out of the basement of the Baxter?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:38 pm

Here is what JJ Watt had to say about Bill Kollar and what he has done for him in his career:

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/ ... n-j-j-watt

Also, here is an old video from 2011 from the Texans website of Bill explaining the basic assignments of their defense under old d-coordinator Wade Philips:

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/v ... c86c9207ef

The man has massive respect around the league!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:07 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Here is what JJ Watt had to say about Bill Kollar and what he has done for him in his career:

Also, here is an old video from 2011 from the Texans website of Bill explaining the basic assignments of their defense under old d-coordinator Wade Philips:

That's a great quote about "the truth."

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:16 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Here is what JJ Watt had to say about Bill Kollar and what he has done for him in his career:

I think that is the only way you can coach in the NFL, you can't just beat around the bush. If they are supposed to be the best of the best, why not tell them "the truth." It only adds to his legend as a hard-nosed, no nonsense football player on the field.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:19 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I think that is the only way you can coach in the NFL, you can't just beat around the bush. If they are supposed to be the best of the best, why not tell them "the truth." It only adds to his legend as a hard-nosed, no nonsense football player on the field.
True, but I sense that's it's the WAY he says it more than anything.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yeah no kidding. Mock conversation:

Kollar: "JJ...your getting your ass kicked up and down the field by 77."

Watt: "But Coach I have two sacks against him today?"

Kollar: "Why don't you have more?"

JJ picks up his helmet and runs back onto the field.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yeah no kidding. Mock conversation:

Kollar: "JJ...you're getting your ass kicked up and down the field by 77."

Watt: "But Coach I have two sacks against him today?"

Kollar: "Why don't you have more?"

JJ picks up his helmet and runs back onto the field.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:28 pm

Yep! :lol:

toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:35 pm

Go to about 1:55 and you can see Kollar coaching up JJ...or basically telling JJ the guy can't block him haha.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:For you old geezy Cat fans like me, I dug up the Oct. 20, 1973 program for the Cat/Griz game, Kollar's senior season and the first year at the current stadium. The cover photo has Kollar, three teammates, and a REAL bobcat! Within is a full page write-up on him by Ken Nicholson, the SID at that time. As it's recruiting season now, a few tidbits popped out to me; as a senior in HS in Warren, Ohio he was 6-2, 205 and "I came out for a (recruiting) visit and liked what I saw - the campus, the mountains, no pollution." Sounds like what the current commitments say, less the pollution reference. His father was a lifelong steel mill worker. Anyway, I wish I could post the entire article but did take the effort to try to cut and paste the following Cat starting lineup for that day. Note the approximate 50-50 split of in state versus out of state players and the Ohio (Joe Tiller influence) and Washington connection. Some great players they were!

Split End Sam McCullum Kalispell
Left Tackle Alan Ward Federal Way, Washington
Left Guard Jim Boyle Niles, Ohio
Center Dave Myers Toledo, Ohio
Right Guard Leon Potkay Warren Ohio
Right Tackle Gary Egerton Freeland, Washington
Tight End Bob Grabb Edina, Minnesota
Quarterback Mike Dunbar Bozeman (s/b Glasgow)
Flanker Bryan Flaig Missoula
Fullback Don Bagley Joliet, Illinois
Tailback Wayne Edwards Denton
Kicker Pat Bolton Butte

Left End Greg Mauer Helena
Left Tackle Wayne Hammond Anoka, Minnesota
Right Tackle Bill Kollar Warren, Ohio
Right End Brad Daws Bozeman
Outside LB Steve Endres Clinton, Maryland
Inside LB Ron Ueland Butte
Inside LB Dusty Birkenbuel Great Falls
Outside LB Gary Wright Kelso, Washington
Left CB Bill Crowley Billings
Right CB Randy Hickel Federal Way, Washington
Safety Steve Dodds Spokane, Washington
Punter Brad Brisbin Bozeman
Thanks! Wasn't that last years team...
Yep, that wasn't so long ago. Nice looking team! =D^
Wayne Hammond, the other defensive tackle, also ended up playing in the NFL, albeit much more briefly.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:28 pm

This is a recent article from the Denver Post about Bill Kollar.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28 ... ef=obinsit

I though the article was interesting, but I was disappointed that it did not mention MSU or his exceptional college football career. Perhaps the writer failed to do his homework, and Bill Kollar was too humble to mention his college success at MSU.

His peers clearly think he is an extraordinary coach, and a great person. It would be nice if Bobcats could somehow re-establish some kind football-related relationship with him, assuming that he is interested.

curlewcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by curlewcat » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:51 pm

I was a freshman on the Cats Bills senior year. He was a character. Saw a video a while back with Bill talking about wrestling a bear in Bozeman. Sure enough I did a little searching and found a picture of him and the bear wrestling on the Internet. I'm not computer savvy enough to get that picture on BN. If someone could it was a good picture and showed Bill's head of hair pretty good. Fun memories.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:01 pm

curlewcat wrote:Sure enough I did a little searching and found a picture of him and the bear wrestling on the Internet. I'm not computer savvy enough to get that picture on BN. If someone could it was a good picture and showed Bill's head of hair pretty good. Fun memories.
If you're talking about the one on houstonpress.com, I don't think that's actually Bill Kollar.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

33MONTEBOSTON33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 33MONTEBOSTON33 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:17 pm

WILD BILL KOLLAR: Or so we called him. Played with him for 3 years. Interesting character for sure. Half football player, half comedian, half weight lifter. First met him when Coach Joe Tiller who recruited him and Potkay out of Ohio where Tiller was from. Kollar walked in the weight room in the field house and wanted to know where the real weight room was. Funny guy. He always told me if I lifted weights more I could be as big and good as he was. I always laughed and told him yeah but he would always be ugly. He was the inventor of "snarfing" jello in the dining hall after practice. He could do 2 squares in one swooping breath and be gone. Always ate dinners and him and Potkay headed back to weight room. They both lived there. Coach Joe picked up a couple of good ones. They both could eat anyone under the table, out lift anyone and outplay them too.

Bill was loaded with quickness, wit, intelligence, strength and natural abilities others didn't have. He was the fastest, quickest, innovative player I ever saw. In the huddle on defense he would say you guys take that side of the ball and I will handle this half. Don't slow down either. He was a funny dude always cracking jokes in huddle and keeping it lite. I will remember 1972 Big Sky Champions Banquet when he told me that when I had 3 Big Sky Titles and All Big Sky 1st team 3 times, then you will be as good as me. He hadn't even played his Senior year as he was 1 year younger than me. I always said OK Ok Ok. I was like a little brother at 5'10", 185 lbs and him at his size but as quick as he was, he could never catch or out run me, EVER. Many great stories about WILD BILL. What a "GREAT" Bobcat. No wonder he is such a valued NFL member. Good ole Bill.

33MONTEBOSTON33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 33MONTEBOSTON33 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:30 pm

Sorry about the double posting. Didn't know the first one went through. Yeah big generation gap. I guess I should have said snarfing jello was the first experience at MSU and Kollar and Potkay had contests. Hilarious.

Monte Boston
1969-73