Woody brandom changes verbal from griz to cats

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Woody brandom changes verbal from griz to cats

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:51 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Bornbobcat wrote:I'm hoping Simms will pick MSU as a lb or de. His coach Clayton Curley played with Kane. Hoping the new promotion of Kane will help Sims lean towrds MSU, but more than likely he's heading to an fbs school.
Yeah I would like to see Simms come in and play DE for the Cats. He could come in play very early and be a stud.
MSU is recruiting Jesse Sims as a defensive end.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:29 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Bornbobcat wrote:I'm hoping Simms will pick MSU as a lb or de. His coach Clayton Curley played with Kane. Hoping the new promotion of Kane will help Sims lean towrds MSU, but more than likely he's heading to an fbs school.
Yeah I would like to see Simms come in and play DE for the Cats. He could come in play very early and be a stud.
MSU is recruiting Jesse Sims as a defensive end.
Well great haha, i heard he wants to play TE so that's a bummer but we will see. Did you hear how his visit went?

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:17 pm

My understanding is that after Coach Stitt and Woody had a talk, it became apparent that he probably wasn't a fit for what the Griz were planning to do on offense and he chose to decommit. I am not going to say this is because he is considered a blocking TE only, and I have never heard any such claim outside of rumor.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:23 pm

RationalGriz wrote:My understanding is that after Coach Stitt and Woody had a talk, it became apparent that he probably wasn't a fit for what the Griz were planning to do on offense and he chose to decommit. I am not going to say this is because he is considered a blocking TE only, and I have never heard any such claim outside of rumor.
He is an all-around tight end with great hands. He played in an up-tempo spread system in high school his senior year. Now he did play o-line his junior season but if you would watch his tape, you would realize the kid is a perfect fit for a spread system. He was split-out at wide receiver a ton last season. I think the Griz got rid of him because they want to make a push for Jesse Sims at tight end. I'm super glad we got him because thus far, three FBS schools are Simms top choices and then its the two Montana schools.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

rollo_tumasi
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by rollo_tumasi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:51 pm

So is UM telling the other two(Bingham & Sims) that they just need a blocking TE. I doub't it. Something stinks in this story...

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.'

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:57 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:My understanding is that after Coach Stitt and Woody had a talk, it became apparent that he probably wasn't a fit for what the Griz were planning to do on offense and he chose to decommit. I am not going to say this is because he is considered a blocking TE only, and I have never heard any such claim outside of rumor.
He is an all-around tight end with great hands. He played in an up-tempo spread system in high school his senior year. Now he did play o-line his junior season but if you would watch his tape, you would realize the kid is a perfect fit for a spread system. He was split-out at wide receiver a ton last season. I think the Griz got rid of him because they want to make a push for Jesse Sims at tight end. I'm super glad we got him because thus far, three FBS schools are Simms top choices and then its the two Montana schools.
I bet they wanted Daum so bad they yanked Woody's scholarship offer. If not, then I am very confused as to why Stitt would think he is just a blocking TE? Did he watch his film? I don't think so with those comments. I agree, something not lining up with that story.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:03 pm

From Colter:

Colter Nuanez ‏@Bobcat_Beat 22s23 seconds ago
Brandom was told he didn't fit into Bob Stitt's offense - tight ends will be used sparingly so it would be best for him to look elsewhere

Hmmmm, who was it that thought this might be the case.......oh ya, IT WAS ME!

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

RationalGriz

Post by RationalGriz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:10 pm

rollo_tumasi wrote:So is UM telling the other two(Bingham & Sims) that they just need a blocking TE. I doub't it. Something stinks in this story...
I think they are telling them the same thing they told Brandom...TE is not really used in the offense.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:12 pm

vike_king wrote:From Colter:

Brandom was told he didn't fit into Bob Stitt's offense - tight ends will be used sparingly so it would be best for him to look elsewhere

I can't wait to see this offense.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:15 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

Pre-snap, it will look like Idaho State's, then the motions will look like Montana State's. ISU pace with more smoke and mirrors, more fly sweeps.

Per Brandom, UM didn't even hire a tight ends coach, just an inside and outside receivers coach.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

Pre-snap, it will look like Idaho State's, then the motions will look like Montana State's. ISU pace with more smoke and mirrors, more fly sweeps.

Per Brandom, UM didn't even hire a tight ends coach, just an inside and outside receivers coach.
So what is um telling Bingham and Sims I wonder?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:54 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

Was wondering the same thing

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:10 pm

wbtfg wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

That they are better than Brandom and fit in better, regardless if they do or not.

In-state kids don't fit the same bill as what happened with Brandom. Montana wants to sign Sims and Bingham simply so Montana State doesn't and so they can say they got all the full-ride kids in the state of Montana.
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRIZ1STCATS2ND

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

That they are better than Brandom and fit in better, regardless if they do or not.

In-state kids don't fit the same bill as what happened with Brandom. Montana wants to sign Sims and Bingham regardless if they have no spot to play them at simply so Montana State doesn't and simply so they can say they got all the full-ride kids in the state of Montana.
I LOLed. That's a conspiracy theory if I ever heard one.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:38 pm

GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

In-state kids don't fit the same bill as what happened with Brandom. Montana wants to sign Sims and Bingham regardless if they have no spot to play them at simply so Montana State doesn't and simply so they can say they got all the full-ride kids in the state of Montana.
It is a very common practice between state rivals. Definitely not a conspiracy theory.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:43 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
It is a very common practice between state rivals. Definitely not a conspiracy theory.
I was going to take bets on when that would show up on egriz, but I'm already to late. :lol:
Last edited by Hawks86 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:43 pm

GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
HelenaCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

If you think that's a conspiracy theory, you know nothing about recruiting.

GRIZ1STCATS2ND

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:49 pm

So please clarify Colter. MSU has been known to mislead recruits they plan to bench so they can brag about it? I agree with the "keeping them away from the competition" thing, that makes perfect sense but for bragging rights? Really? Who is it that gets to brag about it and through what venue?

Furthermore, I'm not going to pretend I know anything about recruiting but that's just cold.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:50 pm

In-state recruiting is another animal and Colter is certainly not talking about any conspiracy. Realisticaly, I don't see Sims signing with either of us, I see Bingham going to the Griz as a defensive end, and I see Woody Brandom as one of the next great tight ends at Montana State. As far as Marcus Ferriter is concerned, remember that we are after Cody Baker who is still committed to the Griz. Lets say we flip Baker, would any of you be concerned that we got Baker and lose Ferriter to the Griz? Just a hypothetical. And I said this in the recruiting page, if we don't get some of our defensive end commits, we can certainly still up the offer for Ferriter.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:55 pm

GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:So please clarify Colter. MSU has been known to mislead recruits they plan to bench so they can brag about it? I agree with the "keeping them away from the competition" thing, that makes perfect sense but for bragging rights? Really? Who is it that gets to brag about it and through what venue?

Furthermore, I'm not going to pretend I know anything about recruiting but that's just cold.
For more than 20 years, both Montana and Montana State has touted their in-state recruiting exploits first and foremost. The stock line every coach gives is "we want to win the in-state battle first". Therefore, if there are two full ride players in Montana's back yard like Bingham and Sims, the Griz will do anything to get them so the Griz can say they won the in-state battle this year, especially with a first-year head coach.

Five players in the state of Montana have been offered full scholarships from both schools:

Jesse Sims

Colin Bingham

Dalton Daum

Holden Ryan

Brayden Konkol

One would assume the team that wins the in-state recruiting battle would be the team that landed the majority of the full-ride in-state guys. Right now, Montana has two, Montana State has one. If Montana gets Sims and Bingham, they can say without much argument that they won the in-state recruiting battle in Stitt's first class. And if you've ever been to a signing day event, you know that it will be talked about in the first five minutes and a slew of boosters will ask both coaches ad nauseam about it.

Like it or not, a great many boosters want Montana kids on the roster before everything else. To get the best ones is a victory that either side of the rivalry will tout. Montana wants Bingham because he's a legacy kid who grew up a Griz and has a Missoula zip code. The Griz offered Sims when he was in 8th grade. Regardless of either end up playing tight end (and I personally believe both will end up on defense regardless of which MT school they pick), each is coveted as much for the in-state buzz as for their football talents.