Kane Ioane elevated to Co-Defensive Coordinator

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Kane Ioane elevated to Co-Defensive Coordinator

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:13 am

Hawks86 wrote:Can anyone explain this possibility?
You may see some similarities to our D-Block days!
It's a tweet reply to Jay Hackett from Kane. Jay played Corner with Kane at Safety. Similar to Seattle's "Legion of Boom," I'd guess MSU's back end was D-Block. Kind of an odd name for themselves since it's obviously a prison reference.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:19 am

Clinton T wrote:I have heard that as of right now, Kane's scheme will be used and he is in charge. Marshall has been given a demotion of sorts and is only on staff (now in a limited role) because a prior deal with another team fell through. Kane was supposed to be the only DC after Marshall took the new job. The source is close to the situation and I have no reason to not believe them. That said, things can change and my source could be wrong but it makes sense. Let's pray that they will be using Kane's scheme and the "attitude" of the defense changes!! Go Cats!!
This news is very interesting...and exciting. Thanks for the info!!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:46 am

Clinton T wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
Clinton T wrote:I have heard that as of right now, Kane's scheme will be used and he is in charge. Marshall has been given a demotion of sorts and is only on staff (now in a limited role) because a prior deal with another team fell through. Kane was supposed to be the only DC after Marshall took the new job. The source is close to the situation and I have no reason to not believe them. That said, things can change and my source could be wrong but it makes sense. Let's pray that they will be using Kane's scheme and the "attitude" of the defense changes!! Go Cats!!

I hope you are correct. I wonder what changes Kane would do? My guess is nothing drastic ie move to 3-4 style but I am willing to bet a lot more stunts, and blitz packages. At least I hope and a more opportunistic secondary.
That would be my guess as well. I was finishing up college when Kane was there and wasn't into football schematics so much but I would be willing to bet he goes back to what made the D successful when he was playing. What was the difference between that system and the system we are currently using? Is it drastically different? I would like to say that we played a lot more man coverage when Kane was there but I could be wrong.
The difference was we had the ability to push the pocket from the middle with relentless pursuit by the Ends and LBs. We will get back to swarm pursuit/tackling again and impose our will on the offense. No more Qb standing in the middle of the pocket with no pressure or fear. The opposing Qbs were too comfortable last year in the pocket.

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:43 pm

John K wrote:
This news is very interesting...and exciting. Thanks for the info!!
I agree it is exciting. I wonder if Kane still is in contact with Pete Kwiatkowski. His defenses were always fun to watch.

-Elias P. Harmon-

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:49 pm

I love the promotion for Kane.

But I'll be the one to say it - if the Cats defense is as bad next year and/or the year after, do you guys run him out of town like you all wanted Marshall out?

Just in 2012, the Cats had the #1 scoring defense. In 2013, we slipped to 6th, and last year we fell to the 9th.

What is the acceptable level of defensive play? Marshall has had some great defenses, but last year's was the worst I've ever seen from a Cat defense.

Everyone kept saying the talent was there but the scheme was not. So if Ioane calls the shots and implements his scheme but we still finish near the bottom in all of FCS again, I wonder if people will just change their tune to saying the talent isn't there.

The majority on here thought Marshall was the problem and solely the problem, so we'll find out soon enough if that is true I suppose.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:57 pm

CelticCat wrote:But I'll be the one to say it - if the Cats defense is as bad next year and/or the year after, do you guys run him out of town like you all wanted Marshall out?
I believe the correct answer would be, as per the script, BLAME FIELDS! :wink:

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:58 pm

But sarcasm aside, good question -- we shall see how the public sentiment/mod mentality (depending on one's view of it) goes by this time next year.

I'm hoping we have a dominant defense and the point if moot. I'm an optimist. :wink:

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:15 pm

CelticCat wrote:I love the promotion for Kane.

But I'll be the one to say it - if the Cats defense is as bad next year and/or the year after, do you guys run him out of town like you all wanted Marshall out?

Just in 2012, the Cats had the #1 scoring defense. In 2013, we slipped to 6th, and last year we fell to the 9th.

What is the acceptable level of defensive play? Marshall has had some great defenses, but last year's was the worst I've ever seen from a Cat defense.

Everyone kept saying the talent was there but the scheme was not. So if Ioane calls the shots and implements his scheme but we still finish near the bottom in all of FCS again, I wonder if people will just change their tune to saying the talent isn't there.

The majority on here thought Marshall was the problem and solely the problem, so we'll find out soon enough if that is true I suppose.
I think that Kane is a great move by Ash for defensive coordinator, but you do raise a good question. I was thinking that it will be a win/win situation for most on here as if it works out well then they were right that Marshall's mature mild manner and perceived lack of aggression was the problem, and if it doesn't work out, then Ash's mature mile manner and perceived lack of aggression is still the problem. :)

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:23 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
It's a tweet reply to Jay Hackett from Kane. Jay played Corner with Kane at Safety. Similar to Seattle's "Legion of Boom," I'd guess MSU's back end was D-Block. Kind of an odd name for themselves since it's obviously a prison reference.
It makes sense. Ever heard the term "lockdown"?

God I hope they use Kane's system. Hopefully Marshall didn't turn him into the kind of guy who runs Cover 4 as a base defense.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:28 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
It makes sense. Ever heard the term "lockdown"?

God I hope they use Kane's system. Hopefully Marshall didn't turn him into the kind of guy who runs Cover 4 as a base defense.
Ahhh... That makes sense

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:44 am

CelticCat wrote:I love the promotion for Kane.

I think you give any new coach 3 years before you really know what they have to contribute fully. However, with Kane, he is so embedded in MSU football, it won't take more than 1 1/2 years to really see his full defense perform as he wants.

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:36 am

I still think it will be 3 years before Kane completely owns the defense and how to adjust to what the offense is doing. He will bring the attitude to the whole defense this. The following year he will be correcting what he thought he did wrong and it may not be the calls on the field but how he game plans, weekly stuff. Third year he should be running.

Either way defenses are basically established at the line of scrimmage. Last year for the first time in 5-6 years we did not have a dominant pass rush Brad Smith, Fletcher, Schreibeis, Daly to ????. Marshall blitzed but you got to get home when you do.

We also don't know how much say Marshall will have and how that will affect what the Cats will be doing. Either way it is a good move.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:53 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:But I'll be the one to say it - if the Cats defense is as bad next year and/or the year after, do you guys run him out of town like you all wanted Marshall out?

Do you have a problem with people disliking Fields?

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:49 pm

bpcats20 wrote:I still think it will be 3 years before Kane completely owns the defense and how to adjust to what the offense is doing. He will bring the attitude to the whole defense this. The following year he will be correcting what he thought he did wrong and it may not be the calls on the field but how he game plans, weekly stuff. Third year he should be running.

Either way defenses are basically established at the line of scrimmage. Last year for the first time in 5-6 years we did not have a dominant pass rush Brad Smith, Fletcher, Schreibeis, Daly to ????. Marshall blitzed but you got to get home when you do.

We also don't know how much say Marshall will have and how that will affect what the Cats will be doing. Either way it is a good move.
A wise man once told me "You can run any defense and any scheme....but if you ain't got the horses it ain't gonna matter" I believe that. Hope we get those horses for Kane.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:01 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:

Nope, don't care who anyone likes or dislikes. I'm just always amused by the lengths that people go to blame him for things ... which kind of ruins the joke now that you make me explain it. :wink:

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:

Nope, don't care who anyone likes or dislikes. I'm just always amused by the lengths that people go to blame him for things ... which kind of ruins the joke now that you make me explain it. :wink:
So, are you taking credit for all bad Fields jokes?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:21 pm

So, does anybody know if Kane's promotion will create some hurt feelers or an adversarial relationship with Bo Beck, or will Beck be on board with these developments?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:28 pm

Cledus wrote:So, does anybody know if Kane's promotion will create some hurt feelers or an adversarial relationship with Bo Beck, or will Beck be on board with these developments?
My impression was that Kane and Bo were on the same page in terms of what we could do different, and now Bo will have more of a voice

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:34 pm

vike_king wrote:
bpcats20 wrote:I still think it will be 3 years before Kane completely owns the defense and how to adjust to what the offense is doing. He will bring the attitude to the whole defense this. The following year he will be correcting what he thought he did wrong and it may not be the calls on the field but how he game plans, weekly stuff. Third year he should be running.

A wise man once told me "You can run any defense and any scheme....but if you ain't got the horses it ain't gonna matter" I believe that. Hope we get those horses for Kane.
NDSU must be a case in point as in the past I've read on BN that the Tampa 2 was not worth running anymore. Tune into the FCS Championship and hear that NDSU is running a Tampa 2 defense. I too hope we get the horses!!!

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:10 pm

catscat wrote:
vike_king wrote:

NDSU must be a case in point as in the past I've read on BN that the Tampa 2 was not worth running anymore. Tune into the FCS Championship and hear that NDSU is running a Tampa 2 defense. I too hope we get the horses!!!
Saying all Tampa-2 schemes are the same is like saying all 3-4 schemes are the same. What matters most is the philosophy of how you want to run that scheme. We play a passive, read and react scheme. It can work if you have great players, but we don't always have great players (like last year).