A look at the first weekend of official recruiting visits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: A look at the first weekend of official recruiting visit

Post by gtapp » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:14 am

Cat in NC wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:That dude has some wheels.
Just a couple of observations:

1. You're 100% on. Ridiculous speed. He actually doesn't look that fast on tape because his running style is so effortless and he's usually taking his foot off the gas by about the 15 yard line. Pretty impressive stuff.
2. Love, love, love his downfield blocking!
3. I think that the fake-jumping-hip-bump-transition-to-a-handshake (2:09 and once later in the video) is my new favorite touchdown celebration.

Of course, it's probably a long shot. Not sure what a kid wearing long sleeves in most of his highlights...in Temecula, no less (high today, 74)...will think of Bozeman (high today, 34) during a January/February recruiting trip. Ha!
It snowed in Temecula 2 weeks ago so maybe it will feel like home!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:20 am

gtapp wrote:
Cat in NC wrote:

1. You're 100% on. Ridiculous speed. He actually doesn't look that fast on tape because his running style is so effortless and he's usually taking his foot off the gas by about the 15 yard line. Pretty impressive stuff.
3. I think that the fake-jumping-hip-bump-transition-to-a-handshake (2:09 and once later in the video) is my new favorite touchdown celebration.

Of course, it's probably a long shot. Not sure what a kid wearing long sleeves in most of his highlights...in Temecula, no less (high today, 74)...will think of Bozeman (high today, 34) during a January/February recruiting trip. Ha!
Just an observation but Tanner Roderick wears sleeves in 100 degree heat. Might just be more for his uniform look than the actual weather. Some guys like sleeves.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:35 am

VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Cat in NC wrote:

Just an observation but Tanner Roderick wears sleeves in 100 degree heat. Might just be more for his uniform look than the actual weather. Some guys like sleeves.
I probably would too if I played a skill position. I'd wear a tighter fitting sleeve than he does, but that's just me. Although way better than the old Astrotruf, the current turf can still leave nasty carpet burns.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:15 pm

I wouldn't be giving up on Bingham or Sims either one or both could end up a Cat especially Bingham. Just because his dad(Guy) was a griz doesn't mean he is all that enamored with being one, esp. with the coaching change there and Kane being promoted here. Plus who wants to go to a school that is losing enrollment by the hundreds every year. Not long ago they were bigger than MSU now look, and that declining enrollment is losing them millions in funding,causing an even further gap in the quality of education between the two schools. Todays sports recruits are smart enough to know that after you graduate a degree from a liberal arts school (um) is good for one thing, putting it in your car window allows you to park in a handicap area while a degree from a science and engineering school ( MSU ) assures you that you will at least have the chance for a job of your choice.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:23 pm

desmond1957 wrote:I wouldn't be giving up on Bingham or Sims either one or both could end up a Cat especially Bingham. Just because his dad(Guy) was a griz doesn't mean he is all that enamored with being one, esp. with the coaching change there and Kane being promoted here. Plus who wants to go to a school that is losing enrollment by the hundreds every year. Not long ago they were bigger than MSU now look, and that declining enrollment is losing them millions in funding,causing an even further gap in the quality of education between the two schools. Todays sports recruits are smart enough to know that after you graduate a degree from a liberal arts school (um) is good for one thing, putting it in your car window allows you to park in a handicap area while a degree from a science and engineering school ( MSU ) assures you that you will at least have the chance for a job of your choice.
Is that what keeps kids from going to Boise instead of Idaho?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:10 pm

What does your post have to do with mine? I'm comparing 2 state universities in Montana and their recent enrollment trends and hence the impact on each of their state funding. Whether the MAJOR drop in enrollment is due to the bad publicity UM received over the allegations of rapes and the resulting failure to prosecute by the county attorney or the recognition that a college degree isn't worth a damn unless it's in a field that offers employment other than fast foods (fries with that?) the fact remains that one school (UM) is going down in a fast flush in terms of enrollment, state funding and prestige while the other (MSU) is gaining everything the UM loses. Regardless of how good an athlete you are unless you can make the NFL you better be looking at more than what last years record was and spending some time comparing what you'll be able to do with your degree from what is rapidly becoming a second rate educational institution (unless you're graduating with a law degree and I haven't seen many UM FB athletes enrolled in that field.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:30 pm

desmond1957 wrote:What does your post have to do with mine? I'm comparing 2 state universities in Montana and their recent enrollment trends and hence the impact on each of their state funding. Whether the MAJOR drop in enrollment is due to the bad publicity UM received over the allegations of rapes and the resulting failure to prosecute by the county attorney or the recognition that a college degree isn't worth a damn unless it's in a field that offers employment other than fast foods (fries with that?) the fact remains that one school (UM) is going down in a fast flush in terms of enrollment, state funding and prestige while the other (MSU) is gaining everything the UM loses. Regardless of how good an athlete you are unless you can make the NFL you better be looking at more than what last years record was and spending some time comparing what you'll be able to do with your degree from what is rapidly becoming a second rate educational institution (unless you're graduating with a law degree and I haven't seen many UM FB athletes enrolled in that field.
Missoula has a very competitive Business school and Pharmacy program so I think those would be the only major that they could compete with Bozeman. Other than that, we definitely offer more realistic degrees in terms of future wealth.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BR GRIZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BR GRIZ » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:07 pm

desmond1957 wrote:What does your post have to do with mine? I'm comparing 2 state universities in Montana and their recent enrollment trends and hence the impact on each of their state funding. Whether the MAJOR drop in enrollment is due to the bad publicity UM received over the allegations of rapes and the resulting failure to prosecute by the county attorney or the recognition that a college degree isn't worth a damn unless it's in a field that offers employment other than fast foods (fries with that?) the fact remains that one school (UM) is going down in a fast flush in terms of enrollment, state funding and prestige while the other (MSU) is gaining everything the UM loses. Regardless of how good an athlete you are unless you can make the NFL you better be looking at more than what last years record was and spending some time comparing what you'll be able to do with your degree from what is rapidly becoming a second rate educational institution (unless you're graduating with a law degree and I haven't seen many UM FB athletes enrolled in that field.
Several UM players have gone on to law school after getting their undergraduate degree and after their playing days are over. Names that come to mind as I type this are Dylan McFarland, Tommy Martin, John Edwards, Scott Gratton and Dave Paoli. Vim Since mentioned business and pharmacy, but UM also offers degrees in forestry, journalism, education, public accounting, wildlife biology, criminal justice, physical therapy, computer science and several others that are "realistic" degrees in terms of future wealth. I think Cat fans tend to understate the educational opportunities offered in Missoula.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:50 pm

BR GRIZ wrote:
Several UM players have gone on to law school after getting their undergraduate degree and after their playing days are over. Names that come to mind as I type this are Dylan McFarland, Tommy Martin, John Edwards, Scott Gratton and Dave Paoli. Vim Since mentioned business and pharmacy, but UM also offers degrees in forestry, journalism, education, public accounting, wildlife biology, criminal justice, physical therapy, computer science and several others that are "realistic" degrees in terms of future wealth. I think Cat fans tend to understate the educational opportunities offered in Missoula.
So it's more than dance, flair, and underwater basket weaving. Interesting.

This changes EVERYTHING.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:57 am

I believe one measure of a university's business school is what percent of those taking CPA exam pass on the first sitting. It's been some time since I've seen figures but both schools actually do well on a national basis. Both in top ten in nation with MSU a little better than um. Pretty darn good for two lil schools in Mt!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:09 am

When do we usually hear about commitments from these weekend visits? During the weekend, or during the next week, or do they usually just string out in no order or fashion?

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:20 am

msu_agfan wrote:When do we usually hear about commitments from these weekend visits? During the weekend, or during the next week, or do they usually just string out in no order or fashion?
I think some of them have been deciding right away after their visit and meeting the players and coaches. I would think we would have some by tomorrow and Monday if things go well!

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:31 am

Is this the NCAA mandated official visit time or just when our coaches choose to bring guys in?

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:34 am

BR GRIZ wrote:Several UM players have gone on to law school after getting their undergraduate degree and after their playing days are over. Names that come to mind as I type this are Dylan McFarland, Tommy Martin, John Edwards, Scott Gratton and Dave Paoli. Vim Since mentioned business and pharmacy, but UM also offers degrees in forestry, journalism, education, public accounting, wildlife biology, criminal justice, physical therapy, computer science and several others that are "realistic" degrees in terms of future wealth. I think Cat fans tend to understate the educational opportunities offered in Missoula.
Forestry, journalism, education, criminal justice - while certainly worthwhile and honorable careers - do not generally provide for future wealth. If I was looking at computer science, I'd certainly choose MSU over UM. Physical therapy and pharmacy are not undergraduate degrees, so anyone being recruited with those majors in mind should not pay any heed to the fact that those graduate programs are at UM. You can apply to either program with any sort of degree, so long as you have your necessary prerequisite classwork complete. Comparing my undergraduate pre-med ("biological sciences") degree from MSU to the similar program from UM, I can't state strongly enough the difference between the two programs. At MSU, several of your upper-level classes are taught by WWAMI professors, and the opportunities to participate in research through their labs is an amazing adjunct to your education. (BTW, I took that degree and graduated from the UM physical therapy program!)

GO CATS GO!!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:37 am

BR GRIZ wrote:
PT and Pharm are grad level programs, and it seems like the majority of the students in those program did their undergrad at MSU.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:19 pm

Cat in NC wrote:

The down field blocking jumped out at me too. The kid blocked two guys on one of the plays. The jump. then handshake was something I've never seen. I guess the biggest part about that to me, was he was in the end zone with the ball again. A lot of TD's on that tape.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:56 pm

allcat wrote:
desmond1957 wrote:I wouldn't be giving up on Bingham or Sims either one or both could end up a Cat especially Bingham. Just because his dad(Guy) was a griz doesn't mean he is all that enamored with being one, esp. with the coaching change there and Kane being promoted here. Plus who wants to go to a school that is losing enrollment by the hundreds every year. Not long ago they were bigger than MSU now look, and that declining enrollment is losing them millions in funding,causing an even further gap in the quality of education between the two schools. Todays sports recruits are smart enough to know that after you graduate a degree from a liberal arts school (um) is good for one thing, putting it in your car window allows you to park in a handicap area while a degree from a science and engineering school ( MSU ) assures you that you will at least have the chance for a job of your choice.
Is that what keeps kids from going to Boise instead of Idaho?
And Boise State does offer degrees in Engineering and Computer Science.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:27 am

Having seemingly hit it out of the park last weekend, I'm anxious to see who's coming this weekend??

The past six days have reinvigorated my Bobcat Pride.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:37 am

94VegasCat wrote:Having seemingly hit it out of the park last weekend, I'm anxious to see who's coming this weekend??

Me too... Starting with the Ioane promotion. It seems like we've turned a corner.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:53 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:Having seemingly hit it out of the park last weekend, I'm anxious to see who's coming this weekend??

Me too... Starting with the Ioane promotion. It seems like we've turned a corner.
Definitely! Several of the kids have a long family tradition within the game and if the on field communication is anywhere near NDSU, this defense just returned to Bobcat football. The one thing we hated to look at last year was the lack of talent due to attrition. That DL was painful to watch and I really think this staff just flipped it! When does spring football start?