Dalton Daum flips verbal from 'Cats to Grizzlies

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Dalton Daum flips verbal from 'Cats to Grizzlies

Post by Mr Lisle » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:08 am

Heidi-jean wrote:His whole family are Griz fans so it doesn't surprise me at all. Not a big loss in my opinion. The CATS deserve players that have no doubt about the blue and gold. It amazes me how the Butte community is full of Griz fans when so many legendary Bobcats come from Butte.
](*,)
Butte's been around a long time. Sonny Holland was probably the one to get Butte to pay attention to Montana State in the first place. Prior to that it was all about "the u". Look at the griz hall of fame, started in 1993 and it includes guys from Butte from a prior era. "Jiggs" Dahlberg (see "Dahlberg Arena"), Eso Naranche, Milt Popavich (some say he's among the very greatest grizzlies), Bob O'Billovich and AD Harley Lewis are all in the HOF. Guys like Sam Jankovich and currently Colt Anderson are from Butte. Lots of starters from the great mid '90s football team were from Butte. Plus there is the now old legend, that many in Butte swear is true, that there was an actual conspiracy in Bozeman to "break up the Butte connection" following the termination of Sonny Lubick that pissed off a lot of people in Butte. Whatever, Butte loyalty to the griz is nothing new.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:01 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Heidi-jean wrote:His whole family are Griz fans so it doesn't surprise me at all. Not a big loss in my opinion. The CATS deserve players that have no doubt about the blue and gold. It amazes me how the Butte community is full of Griz fans when so many legendary Bobcats come from Butte.
](*,)
Butte's been around a long time. Sonny Holland was probably the one to get Butte to pay attention to Montana State in the first place. Prior to that it was all about "the u". Look at the griz hall of fame, started in 1993 and it includes guys from Butte from a prior era. "Jiggs" Dahlberg (see "Dahlberg Arena"), Eso Naranche, Milt Popavich (some say he's among the very greatest grizzlies), Bob O'Billovich and AD Harley Lewis are all in the HOF. Guys like Sam Jankovich and currently Colt Anderson are from Butte. Lots of starters from the great mid '90s football team were from Butte. Plus there is the now old legend, that many in Butte swear is true, that there was an actual conspiracy in Bozeman to "break up the Butte connection" following the termination of Sonny Lubick that pissed off a lot of people in Butte. Whatever, Butte loyalty to the griz is nothing new.
Oh..and just to finish my thought, sometimes there is something like cross pollination at work. For instance, both Butte natives Mick Delaney and Mick Dennehy were Bobcat assistants before becoming head coaches for the griz. Another example, Butte brothers went in opposite directions in the late 70's-early 80's, quarterback Barry to MSU, DB Pat to um. Butte's Paffhausen brothers split differently. Two went to Bozeman, one to Missoula. =;. OK.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:15 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
](*,)
Oh..and just to finish my thought, sometimes there is something like cross pollination at work. For instance, both Butte natives Mick Delaney and Mick Dennehy were Bobcat assistants before becoming head coaches for the griz. Another example, Butte brothers went in opposite directions in the late 70's-early 80's, quarterback Barry to MSU, DB Pat to um. Butte's Paffhausen brothers split differently. Two went to Bozeman, one to Missoula. =;. OK.

Even though Jankovich played for the evil side, he was Erickson's position coach at MSU. Not certain the time frame with Lou, Sam, Cliff and Sweeney all going to Pullman and Fresno but there was some contact maintained. Look at Coach in Poky having both schools on his staff. The one constant I was told when I lived in the South that for whatever reason young coaches needed to go through MSU and for a long while that was true. Richards is the one football player I identified with breaking away from Miss lulu's family connections. (Too bad we don't have the same success with basketball coaches they do).

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:53 pm

grizatwork wrote:
Most famous are the Kimballs from Chester. Doug visited UM and Donovan said he wanted to start a new tradition of Kimballs in Missoula and then ignored him. Doug said the Griz could have had him for the price of a bus ticket, but the cats showed interest and the rest is history. It happens all the time. Allegiances change when someone else is writing the check.
Doug Kimball was one of my favorite players ever at MSU. How many times a game would his shoulder pop out of place, only to have him run to the sidelines, get it set, and go back on the field?
Last edited by PapaG on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:56 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Okay, since tbis is evolving into a black sheep of the family thread, i will throw Gary Richards out there. His whole family played for the Griz and he went to MSU. He made Dennis Erickson look like he could do something besides hand off to Don Haas...
Tom Kastelitz comes to mind, too. His dad ran track at UM in the 30s (first from Bearcreek to go to UM), cousin Mike Persha played basketball for the Griz (after transferring from Wyoming) and graduated, older brother Jim played freshman ball for UM and graduated.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride