The real Shawn Johnson story

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

The real Shawn Johnson story

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:30 pm

I profiled Shawn Johnson following the Eastern Washington game, one of his best of the season. Shawn is a very reserved, polite, soft-spoken kid who gets really nervous doing interviews. He never liked doing press conferences and stuff.

I interviewed him for my profile and it was going great, talking about the adversity he had to overcome sitting behind Cody Kirk, Tray Robinson and Orenzo Davis, talking about him in the weight room and getting a college degree.

I started to ask him about his family. He talked for a moment, then just said, 'Hey man, do you mind if we just don't talk about that and you not write about them?" You could tell it made him sad to think about. I never could find out much about his back story, but I did know former Bobcat quarterback Brian Nixon was his high school coach, got him recruited by MSU and brought him on his official visit to Bozeman.

On senior day, Shawn was accompanied by Don and Christie Kessler, the parents of Cody Kessler, USC's starting QB and Johnson's starting QB in high school.

Today, this story came out. The writing is somewhat below average, but the content of the story is heartwarming and great. Shawn never had a dad and his mom fell on hard times, so he lived with his grandma. She moved to Vegas and he had no where to go. He's already changed schools half a dozen times. The Kesslers took him in. Give it a read. The part where they are talking about when he moved in, he literally had nothing made me cry.

Regardless of if Shawn Johnson goes to the NFL or not, this is what this is all about. Montana State gave this kid a chance in life and a degree.

http://footballmatters.org/stories/john ... ium=social" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SonomaCat

Re: The real Shawn Johnson story

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Wow, yeah ... it's hard not to tear up a bit reading that. With all of the negativity we often see around college athletics, this really reminds us about some of the incredibly positive things it can provide ... along with good friends and family (blood or not).

specscat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by specscat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:Wow, yeah ... it's hard not to tear up a bit reading that. With all of the negativity we often see around college athletics, this really reminds us about some of the incredibly positive things it can provide ... along with good friends and family (blood or not).
+1000

Many of us fans do not know the players stories. Shawn had a lot of adversity to overcome.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:57 pm

I've always been a big fan of Shawn Johnson the football player. Now I'm a huge fan of Shawn Johnson the man.

Thanks for posting, colter

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:00 pm

Wow! Great story. We all have to struggle in our lives and it's easy to forget how much more the struggle is for others. Truly an endearing and amazing story. SJ will be a great success, I have no doubt.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Fantastic, thanks Colter.

And thank you for the great football Shawn!

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:17 pm

That was something I noticed on Senior day, I thought they were someone local. The story is very inspiring.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

NewEra
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by NewEra » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:39 pm

I have always been a huge fan of Shawn and what he has accomplished here. This story is fantastic and a real tear jerker to say the least. Wish him nothing but the best.

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUcantouchus » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:25 pm

There was an article when he was recruited that talked about this as well.

I hate dark pink

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:26 pm

He will hold a couple records here for years to come, thanks for choosing MSU.

Makes me think if say half of his big returns, being kick off or punt return's, weren't called back he would have another 1,000 yards. Just this year didn't he have 3 TD's off returns called back, this is a fair guess. Plus he had several long non TD' run's over the 4 years that were called back. I'll always remember the Eastern game this year, every other time he touched the ball it was either a TD or a huge gain.

A big thanks to the Kessler family for being there for such a great young man and help SJ see his dream come true.
Last edited by FTG247365 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:05 pm

You know it makes you think when he had his fumble problems and the fans raged on him, that they had no idea the realities he faced. There are more to some players then helmets and shoulder pads. Everyone has a story.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Cried my way through that one.

I hope stories like that put some perspective in the arguments about what's right and what's wrong at MSU and the football program. THAT is a great success story.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

webdav

Post by webdav » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:09 pm

SJ in life as in football — sometimes you try to make something out of nothing and lose a couple yards. But other times, you make a bold move and gain a lot. Go Shawn, go.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:24 am

Great story that does tell the other side of things! Nothing worse than feeling alone. He's in the Bobcat family forever!!!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:39 am

MSUcantouchus wrote:There was an article when he was recruited that talked about this as well.
Yeah, I remember reading about it when he was recruited too.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BWahlberg

Post by BWahlberg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:47 pm

wbtfg wrote:I've always been a big fan of Shawn Johnson the football player. Now I'm a huge fan of Shawn Johnson the man.

Thanks for posting, colter
Agreed. I've always had respect for him as a player because he's so damn good. To overcome this kind of adversity in life shows that he's got a very bright future. I wish him nothing but the best!