Pat Murphy

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Pat Murphy

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:44 pm

mtsportsfan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
canyoncat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
canyoncat wrote:http://www.kxlh.com/news/chs-football-c ... y-resigns/

Yeah it is serious business at Capital. Probably a little too serious. Probably the worst record since the school opened in the mid 70's. I wonder if Lee Carter will step up to be the next HC?

Damn impressive! He averaged a state title every 3 years!
In 11 year at Capital, Murphy coached the Bruins to four state AA titles, including three straight from 2006-2008 during which Capital won a state record 33 straight games.
Murpy ends his tenure at Capital with a record of 96-36.
Could be Carter who takes over, but he's gotta be a busy guy between teaching, football, and Driver's Ed (my son just finished his Fall D.E. class). What about Ferlicka? Is he still the DC?
I am not sure if Chance even wants that job. He has had at least three other opportunities to be the HC. When Chancy stepped down after one year (undefeated state title back in the 90's), he could have had it then. When Samson took the job at MSU Northern and they hired Jay Partridge who quit before he ever coached a game (which is when Murphy came in) was another opportunity for Ferlicka. Dick McMahon is a possibility. His brother Tom is the Special Teams coach for I believe the Colts.
I'm hearing that both Lee Carter and Kyle Mihelish would want it. Likely just speculation at this point, though. We'll see how it shakes out.
I think Carter and Mihelish would be great, but I think the Capital job will go to Mark Samson or Troy Purcell. I know Samson wants it, I don't think Purcell will give them the time of day.
You think Samson would go back there?
Purcell is interesting... But he's got a pretty good thing going at Bozeman so I doubt it too.

rollo_tumasi
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by rollo_tumasi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:46 pm

There will be another big opening(maybe 2 in Billings alone) in AA in the next month as well!! Watch for it after XMAS.
Last edited by rollo_tumasi on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.'

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:53 pm

rollo_tumasi wrote:There will be another big opening in AA in the next month as well!! Watch for it after XMAS.
Oh cmon now, don't tease. Let's hear it.

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:58 pm

rollo_tumasi wrote:There will be another big opening in AA in the next month as well!! Watch for it after XMAS.
Klaboe?

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:41 pm

ImagineSanta wrote:
Klaboe?
That's what I was thinking too. With Jack Johnson retiring last year, he's probably now considered the "dean" of AA coaches...right? The only other well known, long tenured one that comes to mind would be Arnston at Helena High.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:54 pm

ImagineSanta wrote:
Klaboe?
Wasn't that already announced?

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:58 pm

John K wrote:
ImagineSanta wrote:
Klaboe?
That's what I was thinking too. With Jack Johnson retiring last year, he's probably now considered the "dean" of AA coaches...right? The only other well known, long tenured one that comes to mind would be Arnston at Helena High.
Unless Arnston is taking a college assistant job somewhere, I don't see him moving. He has turned Helena into the new Capital.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:20 pm

allcat wrote:
John K wrote:
ImagineSanta wrote:
Klaboe?
Unless Arnston is taking a college assistant job somewhere, I don't see him moving. He has turned Helena into the new Capital.
But without the championships.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:29 pm

91catAlum wrote:
allcat wrote:
John K wrote:
ImagineSanta wrote:
Klaboe?
But without the championships.
You beat me to it. He's obviously been very successful, but they've sort of developed a reputation for falling off late in the season, and choking in the playoffs. Hmmm....that sort of sounds familiar, doesn't it?

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:42 pm

Purcell?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BFcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BFcatfan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:20 pm

grizatwork wrote:As a coach, the best kids to coach are a bunch of orphans...
our very own Craig Finberg was quoted as saying this in a newspaper interview when asked " will you ever coach high school basketball again when he went from Dillion HS. (very sucessfull there) to Westen Mt. College. "only if they are all orphans". how true. Every little Jhonny is a basketball superstar!

With success comes attention, with attention comes cockiness, with cockiness comes arrogance, with arrogance comes rudeness...and they wonder why I hate the Griz ! FTG

bruinborn
New Recruit

Post by bruinborn » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:28 am

It was time for Murphy to go. He had lost the respect and support not only of his players but, his coaches. During the past 2 seasons he had several assistant coaches leave due to his inability to take suggestions or listen to anyone. ANyone who knows anything about Bruin football knows that our strength has always come from the dedicated assistant coaching team. Many of these guys played for the Bruins and have been dedicated to the program for years. When you have longterm assistants leaving the program, that indicates there is a problem within the program. Sure there were pushy parents, there always will be in highschool sports but, when a head coach starts telling people in the community that the problem is the kids, that does tend to make people upset.
When he resigned he didn't even have the decency to notify any of the players. They found out when it hit the news media.
No worries, I have no doubt the Bruin Nation will rise again!!!
Go Bru!!!

utahcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by utahcat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Time for Murphy to go? Well, you that thinks you know so much , knows nothing about this man and his ability to coach and inspire kids. Shame on you for posting such a false statement. I would be interested to have you list those coaches who have lost faith or confidence in this man. I for one am a better person for knowing him and Capital High Football has lost a great coach, man and leader. I am sure the next coach will be great as well, but I don't believe one bad season (which BTW was expected by ALL the coaching staff) deserves a "Time for Murphy to go statement", but you are entitled to your opinion, it would be nice if it was fact based.