Pat Murphy

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Pat Murphy

Post by canyoncat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:23 pm

I know this isn't really about Bobcat Football, so if the mods want to move this go ahead.

Sounds as if Pat Murphy has resigned as HC of Helena Capital. Too many parents complaining that little Johnny wasn't getting enough playing time so he had kids quitting on the team throughout the year. Since the Cats do get quite a few kids from Capital, I thought this would be an okay place to put this. I had a brother-in-law quit coaching for this very reason! Too many parents thinking they know more than the coach. Hmmmm!

GO CATS!!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Pat Murphy

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:28 pm

canyoncat wrote:I know this isn't really about Bobcat Football, so if the mods want to move this go ahead.

Sounds as if Pat Murphy has resigned as HC of Helena Capital. Too many parents complaining that little Johnny wasn't getting enough playing time so he had kids quitting on the team throughout the year. Since the Cats do get quite a few kids from Capital, I thought this would be an okay place to put this. I had a brother-in-law quit coaching for this very reason! Too many parents thinking they know more than the coach. Hmmmm!
One of my favorite coaches in Augusta, Georgia got assailed by a parent who was also a School Board member. All the parent/board member was able to get out of his mouth was: "Why didn't you play my kid more?" and he was out for nearly five minutes. Every assistant coach in the county tried to transfer to his school. (The board member apologized as he knew he was out of line).

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:44 pm

I don't know Murphy or why he's stepping down... But football at CHS is serious business, as serious as it gets for a Montana high school. I'm sure this year's 1-win season was not easy on him. Wasn't it CHS's worst year since their first year as a high school?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:51 pm

http://www.kxlh.com/news/chs-football-c ... y-resigns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah it is serious business at Capital. Probably a little too serious. Probably the worst record since the school opened in the mid 70's. I wonder if Lee Carter will step up to be the next HC?

GO CATS!!!

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:54 pm

I feel sorry for anyone who coaches high school sports. The pressure from parents is unreal. Most parents think that their little Johnnie or Jennie will get a full ride scholarship to some major university. The chances of anyone getting an athletic scholarship is pretty slim to none. You'd have better luck shooting for some form of academic scholarships. I'll never forget watching parents spend countless $$$ and time putting their kids through Magic City soccer only to have their kid not play or their kid got burned out never to play again.

My son's soccer coach told all the parents before the season started that he would play the BEST players regardless of class ranking. He played a lot of sophomores and freshman over some juniors and seniors. Why? Some of the upper classmen sucked thats why. Most parents understood the coach, but then he started getting texts from a parent complaining that little Johnnie was not getting any playing time...boo F'n hooo

One more thing before I get off of my soap box. I have a co-worker in another state whose son was a pretty decent tight end in high school. He walked on to K-State but quit after a year making his dad (a K-State alum) pretty mad. He broke his dad's "dream"....

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

grizatwork

Post by grizatwork » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:02 pm

As a coach, the best kids to coach are a bunch of orphans...

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:02 pm

grizatwork wrote:As a coach, the best kids to coach are a bunch of orphans...
Amen to that

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:08 pm

You should have been a high school math teacher in Georgia a couple of years after their HOPE Scholarship came out! When mom and dad saw the first year of free books and tuition to any Georgia University System school and the kid only needed a B average, you better believe they lived on your web site! Especially if they were pretty well educated themselves. But, I'd do it all over again. Sometimes all a coach or teacher needs is a few years away from the b.s.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:18 pm

canyoncat wrote:http://www.kxlh.com/news/chs-football-c ... y-resigns/

Yeah it is serious business at Capital. Probably a little too serious. Probably the worst record since the school opened in the mid 70's. I wonder if Lee Carter will step up to be the next HC?

Damn impressive! He averaged a state title every 3 years!
In 11 year at Capital, Murphy coached the Bruins to four state AA titles, including three straight from 2006-2008 during which Capital won a state record 33 straight games.
Murpy ends his tenure at Capital with a record of 96-36.
Could be Carter who takes over, but he's gotta be a busy guy between teaching, football, and Driver's Ed (my son just finished his Fall D.E. class). What about Ferlicka? Is he still the DC?

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:30 pm

91catAlum wrote:

In 11 year at Capital, Murphy coached the Bruins to four state AA titles, including three straight from 2006-2008 during which Capital won a state record 33 straight games.
Could be Carter who takes over, but he's gotta be a busy guy between teaching, football, and Driver's Ed (my son just finished his Fall D.E. class). What about Ferlicka? Is he still the DC?
I am not sure if Chance even wants that job. He has had at least three other opportunities to be the HC. When Chancy stepped down after one year (undefeated state title back in the 90's), he could have had it then. When Samson took the job at MSU Northern and they hired Jay Partridge who quit before he ever coached a game (which is when Murphy came in) was another opportunity for Ferlicka. Dick McMahon is a possibility. His brother Tom is the Special Teams coach for I believe the Colts.

GO CATS!!!

merff33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by merff33 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:25 pm

Yes, that would be a perfect world.

On the other hand, how about when the parent becomes the coach just to get his/her Johny/Jenny to be the star of the squad, and the kid is just an avg. player at best.

By the way, I'm the dad that knows his kids aren't studs at anything except not cleaning their room, taking out the trash and mowing my lawn! :D

OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!!!...........Dude...mark it zero.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:47 pm

merff33 wrote:

On the other hand, how about when the parent becomes the coach just to get his/her Johny/Jenny to be the star of the squad, and the kid is just an avg. player at best.

By the way, I'm the dad that knows his kids aren't studs at anything except not cleaning their room, taking out the trash and mowing my lawn! :D
There is something wrong with those kids if they are doing that willingly and without being told. Oops reread, I missed the not on the first pass.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:50 pm

allcat wrote:
merff33 wrote:

There is something wrong with those kids if they are doing that willingly and without being told. Oops reread, I missed the not on the first pass.
We have the same kids? Que the Twilight Zone music......and...........play.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:14 pm

canyoncat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I am not sure if Chance even wants that job. He has had at least three other opportunities to be the HC. When Chancy stepped down after one year (undefeated state title back in the 90's), he could have had it then. When Samson took the job at MSU Northern and they hired Jay Partridge who quit before he ever coached a game (which is when Murphy came in) was another opportunity for Ferlicka. Dick McMahon is a possibility. His brother Tom is the Special Teams coach for I believe the Colts.
I'm hearing that both Lee Carter and Kyle Mihelish would want it. Likely just speculation at this point, though. We'll see how it shakes out.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:16 pm

91catAlum wrote:
canyoncat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I'm hearing that both Lee Carter and Kyle Mihelish would want it. Likely just speculation at this point, though. We'll see how it shakes out.
I heard Hauck wants the job.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:18 pm

allcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
canyoncat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Haha, oh those poor bruins!

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:37 pm

91catAlum wrote:
allcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
canyoncat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

If Hauck gets the job, I wonder if he will only eat or shop on one side of town.... :roll:

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:29 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
allcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
canyoncat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

If Hauck gets the job, I wonder if he will only eat or shop on one side of town.... :roll:
Hahaha!!!

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:08 pm

I vote for Marshall he can get some hc experience then mov to naia

mtsportsfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by mtsportsfan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:30 pm

91catAlum wrote:
canyoncat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I think Carter and Mihelish would be great, but I think the Capital job will go to Mark Samson or Troy Purcell. I know Samson wants it, I don't think Purcell will give them the time of day.