Tribune Ash article

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Tribune Ash article

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:32 pm

Bleskin will be returning.
No FBS game for '15
Looking for transfers with the right fit.

Several quotes in the article which will continue the :D or the :evil:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/ ... /20390275/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Re: Tribune Ash article

Post by msuhunter » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Getting in the playoffs "took the bad taste out of our mouths" after getting thumped by the griz? Are you kidding me? What a joke! It's painfully obvious that Ash doesn't get it when it comes to cat griz. This lack of leadership is what we're stuck with as long as he's here. When you don't have people from Montana leading the show, this is the mentality you get.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:11 pm

msuhunter wrote:Getting in the playoffs "took the bad taste out of our mouths" after getting thumped by the griz? Are you kidding me? What a joke! It's painfully obvious that Ash doesn't get it when it comes to cat griz. This lack of leadership is what we're stuck with as long as he's here. When you don't have people from Montana leading the show, this is the mentality you get.

I have NOT been one of the "fire ash" people........ but yeah, have to agree with you, pretty ridiculous statement. Get destroyed by your biggest Rival and then lose a home playoff game to end the season.... There should not be any coach in country that is remotely satisfied with that situation....

Like I said, I am not a "Fire Ash" guy... but that is pretty frustrating. #-o

(great news about Bleskin coming back though, the Cats definitely need him)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:34 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
msuhunter wrote:Getting in the playoffs "took the bad taste out of our mouths" after getting thumped by the griz? Are you kidding me? What a joke! It's painfully obvious that Ash doesn't get it when it comes to cat griz. This lack of leadership is what we're stuck with as long as he's here. When you don't have people from Montana leading the show, this is the mentality you get.

I have NOT been one of the "fire ash" people........ but yeah, have to agree with you, pretty ridiculous statement. Get destroyed by your biggest Rival and then lose a home playoff game to end the season.... There should not be any coach in country that is remotely satisfied with that situation....

Like I said, I am not a "Fire Ash" guy... but that is pretty frustrating. #-o

(great news about Bleskin coming back though, the Cats definitely need him)
Is Bolton a senior?

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:28 pm

It's not a situation where we're going to lead the league in defense anymore, as long as we play this type of offense.

Well with this type of thinking I have no confidence the defense will be any better. Ash already has a built in excuse for next year. Marshall has the best job in football highest paid assistant on the staff and no worries about accountability what a joke

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:39 pm

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:00 pm

catgrad05 wrote:It's not a situation where we're going to lead the league in defense anymore, as long as we play this type of offense.

Well with this type of thinking I have no confidence the defense will be any better. Ash already has a built in excuse for next year. Marshall has the best job in football highest paid assistant on the staff and no worries about accountability what a joke
He also said bluntly that the defense needs to get better. I honestly believe he'll make the right moves here, and with a little luck from the injury Gods for once, we will better on D, as we have been several times under Ash. All that being said, do some of you really not understand the concept of WHY our defensive numbers were expected to going to look worse, did look worse, and will continue to look worse once we made the decision to commit 100% to run the offense we're running? I am not happy with the defense obviously but just trying to be realistic with my expectations.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Monarch cat
New Recruit

Post by Monarch cat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:30 pm

You really think the D is going to suddenly get better? If it wasn't obvious after the two SHSU debacles it sure should be when the Griz pummel us. We need a different DC at the very least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Monarch cat wrote:You really think the D is going to suddenly get better? If it wasn't obvious after the two SHSU debacles it sure should be when the Griz pummel us. We need a different DC at the very least!

Not sticking up for the defense here because it did suck, but seems to me that the Griz pummeling was an offensive thing due to handing them the ball back 7-8 times.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Monarch cat
New Recruit

Post by Monarch cat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Maybe this year

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:39 pm

http://youtu.be/AL2Uj9uG7EI

THAT is the message of a CHAMPION.

The message from Ash is its ok to be average.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:22 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:http://youtu.be/AL2Uj9uG7EI

THAT is the message of a CHAMPION.

The message from Ash is its ok to be average.

Great speech. Good talk. Someone should send it to Ash, because I'm pretty sure his speeches to the players usually focus on teaching them how to be average. =D^

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:51 pm

catatac wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:It's not a situation where we're going to lead the league in defense anymore, as long as we play this type of offense.

He also said bluntly that the defense needs to get better. I honestly believe he'll make the right moves here, and with a little luck from the injury Gods for once, we will better on D, as we have been several times under Ash. All that being said, do some of you really not understand the concept of WHY our defensive numbers were expected to going to look worse, did look worse, and will continue to look worse once we made the decision to commit 100% to run the offense we're running? I am not happy with the defense obviously but just trying to be realistic with my expectations.
Atac

Please stop with the offense mskes our defense suffer. The only time that might have some impact is if you are playing prevent all the time and are ok with leaving the D on the field. In this case you shoot yourself in the foot.

Otherwise grow a pair get aggressive and get a 3 and out. Hey.......then would we be making the offense look bad because we put them back on the field????

Type of Offense makes defense look bad..... Craziest statement I've ever heard.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 pm

77matcat wrote:
catatac wrote:

Atac

Please stop with the offense mskes our defense suffer. The only time that might have some impact is if you are playing prevent all the time and are ok with leaving the D on the field. In this case you shoot yourself in the foot.

Otherwise grow a pair get aggressive and get a 3 and out. Hey.......then would we be making the offense look bad because we put them back on the field????

To a point, I agree with both of you. If you run more plays and get more possessions on offense, the same is likely true of your defense simply due to the uptick in possessions. But as 77 says, GET OFF THE FIELD. And there's no fatigue.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:10 am

77matcat wrote:
catatac wrote:

Atac

It's not my opinion.... it's fact. LTCF explains it clearly above. That being said, I am in no way using this an excuse to justify poor defensive performance. I saw some things in our defense in 2014 that were uncharacteristic of Ash led teams IMO, and not all of that can be attributed to the true first year of committing to and running this offense 100%. Many posters have explained how the primary flaw was lacking that one all american pass rusher that we've had the luxury of having for several years. That's certainly part of it but there are other issues (that I saw from my arm chair view) that need to get cleaned up. I for one DO have confidence in this staff to get it done. Yes, I do think out defense will be better in 2015. I won a bottle of whiskey this year off of posters that disagreed with me that our offense was going to be better in 2014 than 2013.... I'd be more than happy to place the same wager on our defense being better in 2015 than 2014, total points or total D - your choice. All that being said, we just aren't going to run this offense and score 50 points a game and expect to limit all our Big Sky opponents and any upper echelon FCS teams to 10 points. Not going to happen.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:18 am

All he said was getting selected for the playoffs took the bad taste out of their mouths after Cat/Griz. What would you prefer, that the guys get over the game and get excited for the playoffs, like Ash said, or that they continue to be down and out and come out flat against SDSU?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:31 am

Blaming the offense for the Defense playing badly souds really hollow to me. I could see this in the second half, but we let the score on the first couple of possessions which turned into the track meets. I don't see the D being tired when they walked on the field.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

ElbowCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ElbowCat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:40 pm

I don't take the comments about the offensive style being a detriment to our defense as anything other than the point that LTCF made, which is our offense isn't trying to shorten the game by holding the ball so the opposing offense is going to run more plays. More possessions/plays is going to equate to more yards gained and likely more scoring. Which makes it a lot harder to lead the league in defense.

There has been some commentary on the improvement of UND's defense from last to this year but no one has commented on how much their offensive style helped the defense. They are the exact opposite of us. Their offense is part trying to score part trying to burn clock. They threw the ball 3 times the week before we played them. 3 times! Even if they go 3 and out they are still making sure they take at least 3 minutes off the clock. It makes a difference in the stat column at the end of the day for your defense.

33MONTEBOSTON33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 33MONTEBOSTON33 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:42 pm

Defense will get better when obviously needed changes are made. Coaching change at DC, defensive scheme changed, player personnel changed and improved all around the defense. Whatever happened to "DEFENSIVE" pride? Changes, not excuses or proclimations by Ash will do it.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:00 pm

ElbowCat wrote:I don't take the comments about the offensive style being a detriment to our defense as anything other than the point that LTCF made, which is our offense isn't trying to shorten the game by holding the ball so the opposing offense is going to run more plays. More possessions/plays is going to equate to more yards gained and likely more scoring. Which makes it a lot harder to lead the league in defense.

There has been some commentary on the improvement of UND's defense from last to this year but no one has commented on how much their offensive style helped the defense. They are the exact opposite of us. Their offense is part trying to score part trying to burn clock. They threw the ball 3 times the week before we played them. 3 times! Even if they go 3 and out they are still making sure they take at least 3 minutes off the clock. It makes a difference in the stat column at the end of the day for your defense.
With this offensive system, I don't know that anyone expects us to lead the league in defense, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that we should be better than 12th out of 13 teams.