Heart of a Champion

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Heart of a Champion

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:32 am

One Cool Customer wrote:As painful as the griz game was for you guys, and as wonderful as it was for us griz fans...you're reading too much into it. You guys had to play a highly motivated team with everything on the line in a stadium where they win 90% of the time...with your backup qb.

All you need is some semblance of a defense, coupled with prukop's improvement / development In the passing game and you'll be playoff bound each of the next three years...build around that kid. He's good!
Prukop's a sophomore. I'm going to be watching with more than a little fascination the playoffs given there are the New Hampshire and Oregon offenses and the Missouri Valley, an SEC, Big 10 and Florida State. defenses.

76er
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 76er » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:59 am

Morale and "heart" are big issues, some of that coming from Ash's CEO coaching style. Last weekend I saw teams that all had uniformly faster, and stronger personnel than either Montana team, across the board. We have an inherent recruiting problem with our climate and our distance to major population bases. UNH has several million people within 100 miles and competes against Boston College for people. Everyone but NDSU has proximity to major football factories. The Cats and Griz are both upping their recruiting game, and it appears to me that other major FCS conference schools are accelerating at a rate greater than either Montana team.

Silenoz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Silenoz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:This is the most accurate post I've read on this site in quite some time. Maybe in all my years reading it.
Most of it, sure. NDSU posters are always bragging about their culture of winning (or heart of a champion) as a catalyst of their threepeat, and I sure has hell believe it.

But (digressions here) claiming UNH (the #1 seed) and Chatty are worse than a mid-season Cat team? They didn't have the benefit of playing against a soft Big Sky defense on Saturday, so I don't know how anyone can disparage their performances for not putting up 700 yards, a regularity out here amongst a lot of the programs anymore.
And how in the world could anyone think "[the Cats] lost three of the last four matchups with the Griz and I would say each of those years we had the better team." That is maybe debatable for this season...

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

Honestly, I think our biggest problem, is that we're soft. Physically and mentally. Obviously some players aren't, but as a team, we are. I think a teams attitude reflects the coaches attitude. We play nice. Which is good in some ways, and bad in others.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:42 pm

They're not soft as you assume

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:38 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:Image

They're not soft as you assume
This. I keep seeing images of our O Line blasting people, Knight and Newell destroying Safeties, even Brekke taking bigger linebackers head on, or fighting and clawing for every last inch to convert a third down (one game with the flu), Salanoa looking for people to hit, etc.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:11 pm

I quite honestly think some people believe if you don't cuss and talk a big game that you are soft.
Spending years in the ring and on the mat in my youth I loved beating the blow hards. I was intimidated I have to admit but had a good coach who taught me to walk softly but carry a big stick.

It is as simple as some coaches teach different philosophy in this area. I believe there are times to to explode and times to keep your mouth shut. At times I thought MSU lacked fire and could improve in this area, but a swagger does not an athlete make.

I remember some pretty "fiery" athletes in times MSU was going through losing years that certainly weren't soft either. A level headed coach is good in my opinion, but needs also to be complimented by assistants and players who are allowed to shirk the reins when needed.

I stlll subscribe to quiet confidence as an overall demeanor until such time explosion is called.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:19 pm

kwcat wrote:I quite honestly think some people believe if you don't cuss and talk a big game that you are soft.
Spending years in the ring and on the mat in my youth I loved beating the blow hards. I was intimidated I have to admit but had a good coach who taught me to walk softly but carry a big stick.

It is as simple as some coaches teach different philosophy in this area. I believe there are times to to explode and times to keep your mouth shut. At times I thought MSU lacked fire and could improve in this area, but a swagger does not an athlete make.

I remember some pretty "fiery" athletes in times MSU was going through losing years that certainly weren't soft either. A level headed coach is good in my opinion, but needs also to be complimented by assistants and players who are allowed to shirk the reins when needed.

I stlll subscribe to quiet confidence as an overall demeanor until such time explosion is called.
Not sure if you're addressing me, but you couldn't be more wrong if you are. Caleb Schreibeis and John Weidenaar, arguably two of the more tough, intense, physical players we've had recently never talked much trash or cursed on the field. Toughness is a state of mind, not the words you say. Actions, not words.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
kwcat wrote:I quite honestly think some people believe if you don't cuss and talk a big game that you are soft.

Not sure if you're addressing me, but you couldn't be more wrong if you are. Caleb Schreibeis and John Weidenaar, arguably two of the more tough, intense, physical players we've had recently never talked much trash or cursed on the field. Toughness is a state of mind, not the words you say. Actions, not words.

Not directed at you at all 99. Just commenting on a common recent theme Ive heard lately in establishments that I "run".
As I read your post on Caleb and John, posture was the word I was looking for earlier.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:16 pm

One Cool Customer wrote:As painful as the griz game was for you guys, and as wonderful as it was for us griz fans...you're reading too much into it. You guys had to play a highly motivated team with everything on the line in a stadium where they win 90% of the time...with your backup qb.

All you need is some semblance of a defense, coupled with prukop's improvement / development In the passing game and you'll be playoff bound each of the next three years...build around that kid. He's good!
Agree with your list, especially the defense comment, however I still believe that the defense holding the Griz to 4.4 points over their season average (with 5 interceptions, 2 lost fumbles, and a roughing the kicker that gave you possession back-that's effectively 8 turnovers), was pretty good. I still think the primary factor in that game was your DL that ran through coach Mac's OL like water and pressured our QB.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!