X's and O's of our defense.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Tri-Cities Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: X's and O's of our defense.

Post by Tri-Cities Cat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Haha... thats funny LTCF! Although, i am now questioning just how long you have been a Cat fan. Surely, a long time Cat fan would not be familiar with that song.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Tri-Cities Cat wrote:Haha... thats funny LTCF! Although, i am now questioning just how long you have been a Cat fan. Surely, a long time Cat fan would not be familiar with that song.
Ha! My wife listens to that station. I stole that meme from another thread.

77matcat
Member # Retired

X's and O's of our defense.

Post by 77matcat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:32 pm

tdub wrote:
allcat wrote:I only read the first little bit. I had no idea what they were saying with the peels. I guess if I don't have armrests I'd be a lousy coach. Which is why even with all of the explanations I still don't get why we played Na'a so much.
Because Na'a knows what a peel is....

My guess is that the rest of the defensive players on the team also know what a peal is. To continue to play Na'a despite his injury's impact on his performance (because he can set up the rest of the D ) insults the rest of the defensive players. Is that really the reason he played????

Also demoralizing for the rest of the team when the best performer is not on the field.

Did anyone ever hear what Na'as injury was????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:11 am

77matcat wrote:
tdub wrote:
allcat wrote:I only read the first little bit. I had no idea what they were saying with the peels. I guess if I don't have armrests I'd be a lousy coach. Which is why even with all of the explanations I still don't get why we played Na'a so much.

My guess is that the rest of the defensive players on the team also know what a peal is. To continue to play Na'a despite his injury's impact on his performance (because he can set up the rest of the D ) insults the rest of the defensive players. Is that really the reason he played????

Also demoralizing for the rest of the team when the best performer is not on the field.

In the video, the announcer noted that #2 rotated too late on this play... ( yep, that's what we saw all season long)!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:02 am

catsrback76 wrote:
77matcat wrote:
tdub wrote:

In the video, the announcer noted that #2 rotated too late on this play... ( yep, that's what we saw all season long)!
Did I say kumbaya

SpeedCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SpeedCAT » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:12 pm

During Coach Ash’s end of season media interview, he stressed the need to simplify the defense. I can’t help but think that the attached article from Coach Marshall and Coach Beck about our Pressure Package has to be Exihibit A in the case to simplify. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not an x’s and o’s wonk, and much of the article goes over my head. Having said that, most of the positions in the scheme have 4 and 5 different “player responsibilities” on each play.

It has been noted many times on BN that our players on defense seem late to react in certain situations. I can’t blame them – it would be very hard to simultaneously process 4 or 5 mental keys in a split second. I know first-hand that having multiple mental keys does not work with my golf swing!
The article attached to the thread was published on December 6, well after Coach Ash talked about simplifying our schemes. Here’s to hoping that the article was written last summer, and was only recently published.

Ironically, our offense this year was in many ways much simpler than in years past. We ran the same handful of plays from a wide variety of formations. Simple was good.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:24 pm

SpeedCAT wrote:During Coach Ash’s end of season media interview, he stressed the need to simplify the defense. I can’t help but think that the attached article from Coach Marshall and Coach Beck about our Pressure Package has to be Exihibit A in the case to simplify. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not an x’s and o’s wonk, and much of the article goes over my head. Having said that, most of the positions in the scheme have 4 and 5 different “player responsibilities” on each play.

It has been noted many times on BN that our players on defense seem late to react in certain situations. I can’t blame them – it would be very hard to simultaneously process 4 or 5 mental keys in a split second. I know first-hand that having multiple mental keys does not work with my golf swing!
The article attached to the thread was published on December 6, well after Coach Ash talked about simplifying our schemes. Here’s to hoping that the article was written last summer, and was only recently published.

Ironically, our offense this year was in many ways much simpler than in years past. We ran the same handful of plays from a wide variety of formations. Simple was good.

Here's the ol back in my day story, but I think the point is valid.
In high school, we had an outside guru come in to improve our defense. He gave multiple keys and complexities. Our team got worse on D and struggled. Finally late in the season, coaches sat each of us down and simplified our assignments and reaffirmed each players ability. My assignment was "get to the ball as fast as you can". period
The results were hugely positive for all of us.

Point is, too many keys cause hesitation in a fast moving game. If youre personnel cant succeed at it, change it, simplify it.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:07 am

That problem is compounded by having only two guys in underneath coverage. That's just plain not enough. That all by itself is how to get picked apart 8-10 yards at a time. Two guys simply cannot cover that much ground in the time it takes a short throw to arrive at the receiver. There's no chance to make a play on the ball. And when you're talking about tackling the receiver after catching an 8-10 yard pass, you already lost on that play. At that point, you're playing damage control, not defense. Combine that with making the players think about 4-5 different things before breaking the ball, and at that point, the underneath man may not arrive in time to even tackle the receiver.

Of course, that's pretty much what you could expect from a guy who runs "press quarters" as a base defense, and then lines his DBs up too far off the line to press. :lol:

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:20 am

Here's a quick synopsis of what's the current trend for coaches that have a better idea of how to run a defense... i.e., not continuing to stick an overmatched linebacker on the slot receiver and hoping/praying for better results. Kind of puts a crimp in the "we play base and we play fast" manifesto.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... atriots-37
"With cornerback Darrelle Revis as the centerpiece, the Patriots are deeper, more talented and healthier in the secondary this late in the season than at any point I can remember in Bill Belichick’s prior 14 seasons as head coach. That’s been a key because of 420 defensive snaps played over the last six games, the Patriots have been in sub packages (which call for at least one extra player in the secondary) a staggering 377 times. That means they were only in their base or goal-line defense on just 43 snaps over the last six games. Think about that for a moment. We often refer to a defense as a base 3-4 or base 4-3, but teams like the Patriots are in those packages less frequently than ever. Sub is the new base. "

GO CATS GO!!!