X's and O's of our defense.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

X's and O's of our defense.

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:17 am

Randomly ran across this today.

http://www.xandolabs.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Fixed the subject line....damn auto correct.
Last edited by wbtfg on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Our defense expired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:03 am

Does auto correct know something we don't? Thanks for the info.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: X's and O's of our defense.

Post by allcat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:51 am

I only read the first little bit. I had no idea what they were saying with the peels. I guess if I don't have armrests I'd be a lousy coach. Which is why even with all of the explanations I still don't get why we played Na'a so much.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:09 am

allcat wrote:I only read the first little bit. I had no idea what they were saying with the peels. I guess if I don't have armrests I'd be a lousy coach. Which is why even with all of the explanations I still don't get why we played Na'a so much.
Because Na'a knows what a peel is....

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:04 pm

I believe a "Peel" is a rusher who is then also responsible for the RB if he "splits" out of the back field. He would break his rush and "Peel off" and cover the RB out of the back field. I could be wrong.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:18 pm

There is an old saying amongst football coaches. "It's not about the x's and o's. It's all about the Johnnies and Joes". Schemes are worthless without the good players. This year the lack of pass rush pressure really hurt. We need a good recruiting year for sure.

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:19 pm

bobcatbob wrote:There is an old saying amongst football coaches. "It's not about the x's and o's. It's all about the Johnnies and Joes". Schemes are worthless without the good players. This year the lack of pass rush pressure really hurt. We need a good recruiting year for sure.
But the right scheme with proper execution can put the players in the best position to make plays.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:There is an old saying amongst football coaches. "It's not about the x's and o's. It's all about the Johnnies and Joes". Schemes are worthless without the good players. This year the lack of pass rush pressure really hurt. We need a good recruiting year for sure.
But the right scheme with proper execution can put the players in the best position to make plays.
Right, just look at North Dakota Who's. A new coach comes in, using the players already there, teaches them up and has a stellar defense.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:33 pm

allcat wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:
Right, just look at North Dakota Who's. A new coach comes in, using the players already there, teaches them up and has a stellar defense.

Execution is done with good players. When we had Daly and Schreibies and Minter we used similar schemes and they worked. This year we couldn't get the pressure on the QB. It appears we used the wrong schemes with the level of talent we had this year.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:40 pm

SACCAT wrote:I believe a "Peel" is a rusher who is then also responsible for the RB if he "splits" out of the back field. He would break his rush and "Peel off" and cover the RB out of the back field. I could be wrong.
Correct.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:08 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
allcat wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:

Execution is done with good players. When we had Daly and Schreibies and Minter we used similar schemes and they worked. This year we couldn't get the pressure on the QB. It appears we used the wrong schemes with the level of talent we had this year.
And it wasn't just those three players. The 2012 defense also featured Jody Owens and a much better version of Na'a at linebacker, and Jones and Bethley in the secondary. That's two Buck winners, an NFL player, a BSC Defensive MVP, and three other players who were 1st team all-BSC. That's a pretty big dropoff in talent over the past two years. Still though, I don't believe our talent was bad enough this season, to explain being the 2nd worst defense in the BSC.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:51 pm

John K wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
allcat wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:

And it wasn't just those three players. The 2012 defense also featured Jody Owens and a much better version of Na'a at linebacker, and Jones and Bethley in the secondary. That's two Buck winners, an NFL player, a BSC Defensive MVP, and three other players who were 1st team all-BSC. That's a pretty big dropoff in talent over the past two years. Still though, I don't believe our talent was bad enough this season, to explain being the 2nd worst defense in the BSC.
Gee, maybe not bragging how cool our D is by posting exactly how it works both in writing and in video would help. "Hi everyone in the BSC and beyond! Here's exactly how our D works. Enjoy learning how to burn it!"

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:03 pm

allcat wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:

The new NDSU coach was the DC. I am sure that helped.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Good stuff on that website. Probably time we as a group donated some broomsticks. 8)

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:23 pm

kwcat wrote:
allcat wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:

wrong school

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:38 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
John K wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
allcat wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:

Gee, maybe not bragging how cool our D is by posting exactly how it works both in writing and in video would help. "Hi everyone in the BSC and beyond! Here's exactly how our D works. Enjoy learning how to burn it!"
lol, that is what I was thinking. And, also after such a poor showing defensively, why would I want to impress people with my insight and strategy. I don't even know these guys, and I'm pretty happy with the year, but it does make me wonder what is going on in their thinking.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:57 pm

allcat wrote:
kwcat wrote:
allcat wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:

wrong school
Thanks my bad. Read too quick

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:39 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
allcat wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:

Our scheme didn't work against SHSU

ElbowCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ElbowCat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:31 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
allcat wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:

Our scheme didn't work against SHSU
Against them at home it worked pretty well, not so much the first time in Texas though. In the second game we held them to 4 yards a carry (3.4/carry for Flanders and 3.8/carry for Sincere, that's pretty good) and 34 pts, despite the offense turning it over twice, once inside our own 20, and having 7 of our 11 drives having 4 or less plays, ouch. Our defense was good enough to win that game.