Is Person on the verge of being a starter?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Is Person on the verge of being a starter?

Post by BobCatFan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:19 am

Here is a good article on Mike Person
I hope he can break into the starting line up soon
http://m.stltoday.com/sports/football/p ... touch=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Is Person on the verge of being a starter?

Post by BobCatFan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:41 am

Hopefully some coaches can tell us how good he has become?

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks for sharing guys. Nice article and films of a Bobcat great!

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:31 am

He played great on those snaps!

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:03 am

The little blurb on the sports pages around the state that lists how players with ties to Montana fared didn't list him. It had Fletcher's hometown as Glendive (Person's hometown) though, so that's a start.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:24 am

TomCat88 wrote:The little blurb on the sports pages around the state that lists how players with ties to Montana fared didn't list him. It had Fletcher's hometown as Glendive (Person's hometown) though, so that's a start.
Insert snarky comment about Griz media bias here. I'm surprised it even mentioned either one of them.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:09 pm

They (media) do pretty well considering their education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:14 pm

This is sort of off topic, but as a Rams fan, I don't get many opportunities to talk up my team. They've now scored 83 consecutive, unanswered points against their opponents. That has to be a record, or at least close to it. They scored the last 7 against SD, then shutout the Raiders 52-0, followed by a 24-0 shutout of the Redskins. I know the Raiders and Redskins aren't exactly great teams, but an NFL team outscoring their opponents 83-0 is still pretty impressive, regardless of the competition. And the Raiders beat KC and SF, sandwiched around their loss to the Rams, so they've actually been playing fairly well lately. If the Rams hadn't gotten off to such a bad start (1-4), they'd have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

Back on topic, it's great to see Person playing so well. I hope he continues to get increased playing time. It pains me to admit it, because I probably despise him more than any other former or current Griz player, but Trumaine Johnson has also been playing very well for the Rams lately.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:19 pm

John K wrote:This is sort of off topic, but as a Rams fan, I don't get many opportunities to talk up my team. They've now scored 83 consecutive, unanswered points against their opponents. That has to be a record, or at least close to it. They scored the last 7 against SD, then shutout the Raiders 52-0, followed by a 24-0 shutout of the Redskins. I know the Raiders and Redskins aren't exactly great teams, but an NFL team outscoring their opponents 83-0 is still pretty impressive, regardless of the competition. And the Raiders beat KC and SF, sandwiched around their loss to the Rams, so they've actually been playing fairly well lately. If the Rams hadn't gotten off to such a bad start (1-4), they'd have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

Back on topic, it's great to see Person playing so well. I hope he continues to get increased playing time. It pains me to admit it, because I probably despise him more than any other former or current Griz player, but Trumaine Johnson has also been playing very well for the Rams lately.
My fantasy league team says GO RAMS. I need another shut out!

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:06 pm

John K wrote:This is sort of off topic, but as a Rams fan, I don't get many opportunities to talk up my team. They've now scored 83 consecutive, unanswered points against their opponents. That has to be a record, or at least close to it. They scored the last 7 against SD, then shutout the Raiders 52-0, followed by a 24-0 shutout of the Redskins. I know the Raiders and Redskins aren't exactly great teams, but an NFL team outscoring their opponents 83-0 is still pretty impressive, regardless of the competition. And the Raiders beat KC and SF, sandwiched around their loss to the Rams, so they've actually been playing fairly well lately. If the Rams hadn't gotten off to such a bad start (1-4), they'd have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

Back on topic, it's great to see Person playing so well. I hope he continues to get increased playing time. It pains me to admit it, because I probably despise him more than any other former or current Griz player, but Trumaine Johnson has also been playing very well for the Rams lately.[/quote?

Also a major RAMS fan and am glad to see the turn around.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm

Yup, Rams fan here, I remember there being a few others on this board. I saw stats showing less than 1% chance of making the playoffs...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:Yup, Rams fan here, I remember there being a few others on this board. I saw stats showing less than 1% chance of making the playoffs...

Yeah, it looks like it will take 11-5 to get a wild card in the NFC, and the best they can do is 9-7 if they win out, so there's no chance. They blew two games early in the season in which they had big leads. If they could have held on to win those two, they'd still be in the hunt, but...

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:52 pm

The only way the Rams can make the playoffs is if they win out and Detroit, Seattle, Dallas, or Philly (all currently 9-4) lose all three of their remaining games to finish 9-7. I'm not sure what the tiebreakers would look like with the Rams against either of those teams. I am a Cardinals fan and am fully expecting St. Louis to win tonight especially as they're playing at home on the short week.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:11 pm

MSU01 wrote:The only way the Rams can make the playoffs is if they win out and Detroit, Seattle, Dallas, or Philly (all currently 9-4) lose all three of their remaining games to finish 9-7. I'm not sure what the tiebreakers would look like with the Rams against either of those teams. I am a Cardinals fan and am fully expecting St. Louis to win tonight especially as they're playing at home on the short week.
Dallas plays at Philly this Sunday so you would presume that they can't both lose that game. Right?

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:The only way the Rams can make the playoffs is if they win out and Detroit, Seattle, Dallas, or Philly (all currently 9-4) lose all three of their remaining games to finish 9-7. I'm not sure what the tiebreakers would look like with the Rams against either of those teams. I am a Cardinals fan and am fully expecting St. Louis to win tonight especially as they're playing at home on the short week.
Dallas plays at Philly this Sunday so you would presume that they can't both lose that game. Right?
I know. They needed one of those four teams to lose all of their games, not all of them. Moot point now. Didn't see Person get in the game tonight.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:42 pm

Here's a nice article on Person that's hitting the small town Montana newspaper circuit:

http://lewistownnews.com/articles/2014/ ... 820283.txt

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:14 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
I know. They needed one of those four teams to lose all of their games, not all of them. Moot point now. Didn't see Person get in the game tonight.
It is a moot point now, but actually you were right the first time. Just one of those four teams losing all of their remaining games wouldn't have been enough for the Rams to make the playoffs. They needed both Detroit and Seattle to lose all three, plus either Dallas or Philly to also lose all three. Since all those teams are 9-4, if they win even one more game it would put them at 10-6, while 9-7 is the best the Rams could have done, if they had won last night. In the case of Dallas and Philly, obviously not both of them can lose out, since they play each other on Sunday. If the loser of that game went on to also lose their final two games, then they would finish at 9-7, tied with the Rams, Detroit and Seattle for the two WC berths, in this somewhat implausible scenario, while the winner would be the NFC East champ.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:44 pm

I really don't know who the guy is, let alone anything about him, but from this set of gifs I kind of get the impression that St. Louis's center kind of sucks.
BobCatFan wrote:Image
This play demonstrates why casual fans drastically underestimate the amount of intelligence and skill required to play offensive line. This play was not a designed counter. You can tell by the way the "fullback" plays his man. If the play was to the other side, he would just cut the guy. It's easier and good enough. (I could go on a tangent about tight ends playing fullback here, but I won't.)

Given that this is not a designed counter, and that most of the defense is lined up about one step to the play side of the guys assigned to block them, almost everyone has two assignments on this play, all while blocking on the run. They still need to block their own guy, but they also need to keep the guy on their back side from getting out of reach of their teammates. Person executes the first part of this assignment admirably, and attacks his assigned man in the same motion. Unfortunately for Person, the center completely whiffed on Person's man, so he's already too far upfield. Person does the most he could do, which is to put the guy who is now right in the RB's path on his butt (but still right in the RB's path). The center also missed his second block before tripping and falling over, forcing the RB to bounce the play even further away from the play side. Person does manage to get in the way of the linebacker that the center whiffed on and the linebacker that the "fullback" failed to pick up, and neither are in on the tackle as a result. The play ends up being a decent gain because the back had good vision and the left side of the line blocked well.

I'm not sure if this specific play was designed with a man or zone blocking scheme, but Person ended up doing the kind of blocking you do in a zone scheme. It's not surprising that he looks competent here. His athleticism is a good fit for a zone scheme.
On this play, Person does a good job of "hooking" his guy. After that, he does get pushed around a little, but he keeps himself between the defender and the ball carrier. In contrast, the center overpowered his guy initially, but got on the wrong side of him off the snap and ends up committing holding.

Both of those blocks are essentially irrelevant, because the fake handoff to the "fullback" utterly failed to fool the linebacker. (I could go on a tangent about using tight ends as fullbacks here, too, but it's off topic).
This is Person's best block of the set. He gets his man out of the hole and moving laterally away from the play with a good initial punch, then buries him. The play goes nowhere because the center and right guard both miss their blocks. The guard at least got enough of his guy to hold him, slow him down, and keep him from making the play. The center, for some reason, decided to change directions after taking a really good line initially. If he'd just gone straight at that linebacker, he would have buried him. Instead, he embarrassed himself.
Person is blocking down here. He comes off the ball lower than his man, gets in good position, squares up, and drives the guy back about five yards. Old-school football.

The third and fourth plays are especially encouraging. They are signs of improvement. Person's strength at the point of attack while blocking in-line in the running game has always been rated has his biggest weakness at the pro level. These were two examples of Person just taking his man and pushing him out of the play, the one thing scouts have said he couldn't do.
Person is in perfect position here. His body is between the pass rusher and the QB. He gets his hands into the guy and just stays there. #94 has no chance on this one. This play shows why pass protection has consistently been related as Person's best area.
Person doesn't look quite as good on this play. He got beat off the snap initially. His man was lined up inside of him, and Person's first slide-step goes to the inside. He's anticipating that the rusher will just try to beat him inside. He should not do this. He has inside help but no outside help. A bad step inside here is worse than a bad step outside.

The defensive lineman outguesses him, taking his first step to the outside to take advantage of his assumption. This is the play where it's most obvious that Person is really athletic. He has the feet to play tackle, for sure. Many guards, maybe even most guards, would take that bad first step and be totally screwed. They wouldn't be able to recover enough to get a hand on the guy, or get in his way at all. Person gets both hands on the guy, gets his body mostly in between the rusher and the QB, and is in the process of trying to push the tackle sideways out of the path he wants to take.

I would have been interested to see whether Person could keep this guy off the QB on a straight drop, but unfortunately, the left tackle just completely got his ass beat and the quarterback wisely booked it right out of there.
BobCatFan wrote:Hopefully some coaches can tell us how good he has become?
Not a coach, but I did my best.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Nicely done BBG. You know your stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:30 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:Nicely done BBG. You know your stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'm thinking of sending a letter to Peter Fields telling him to #FireMcEndoo and make me the line coach.

(Just kidding. Mac is awesome.)

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers