2015 Commitment List

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2015 Commitment List

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:44 pm

kwcat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
kwcat wrote:Fixed it quick but you were quicker. thanks
Haha sorry. Just making sure everyone knows names correctly.
Funny thing is, drives me crazy when posters get names wrong over and over (like Prokup). I did it twice today. #-o

from Colter's article:
Ash mentioned that, although Beau Sandland was not announced with the class, the staff is considering him just that. The University of Miami transfer redshirted last season with MSU and is expected to take over for Tiai Salanoa, a three-year starter who earned first-team All-Big Sky honors as a senior
Ya did it again...

P-R-U-K-O-P

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:45 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:A thing no one is talking about is is Curtis Amos, with Beau, and then the two guys we signed today we're does that leave Amos? A switch to DE? I thought the coaches really liked him last year athletically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We used a 2 TE package quit a bit last year didn't we? He could probably also backup Newell in an H back type role ? Going to be a long wait till spring ball.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
kwcat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
kwcat wrote:Fixed it quick but you were quicker. thanks
Haha sorry. Just making sure everyone knows names correctly.
Funny thing is, drives me crazy when posters get names wrong over and over (like Prokup). I did it twice today. #-o

from Colter's article:
Ash mentioned that, although Beau Sandland was not announced with the class, the staff is considering him just that. The University of Miami transfer redshirted last season with MSU and is expected to take over for Tiai Salanoa, a three-year starter who earned first-team All-Big Sky honors as a senior
Ya did it again...

P-R-U-K-O-P
Thanks LT. That was the point. (sarcasm)

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:52 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:A thing no one is talking about is is Curtis Amos, with Beau, and then the two guys we signed today we're does that leave Amos? A switch to DE? I thought the coaches really liked him last year athletically

I'm pretty sure the coaching staff doesn't like athletic tight ends. They might say they do, but their handling of tight ends indicates otherwise. They've recruited a number of good athletes to play tight end, but then they always make them put on 40 pounds and turn them into third tackles before rewarding them with any significant playing time in three-receiver packages and passing situations. By then, their athleticism is limited by all the extra bulk, and the end result is that opponents don't have to worry much about the tight end position in the passing game.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Beau Sandland, because I think there's a very slight chance that the staff will decide he's big enough already, and a more significant chance that with only one year in Bozeman, they just won't have time to mold him into what they mold their other tight ends into. It worries me that he's already been in Bozeman for so long, though. I'm afraid of him coming into camp as big as Weidenaar.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:46 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

I'm pretty sure the coaching staff doesn't like athletic tight ends. They might say they do, but their handling of tight ends indicates otherwise. They've recruited a number of good athletes to play tight end, but then they always make them put on 40 pounds and turn them into third tackles before rewarding them with any significant playing time in three-receiver packages and passing situations. By then, their athleticism is limited by all the extra bulk, and the end result is that opponents don't have to worry much about the tight end position in the passing game.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Beau Sandland, because I think there's a very slight chance that the staff will decide he's big enough already, and a more significant chance that with only one year in Bozeman, they just won't have time to mold him into what they mold their other tight ends into. It worries me that he's already been in Bozeman for so long, though. I'm afraid of him coming into camp as big as Weidenaar.
To your point- I remember when salanoa was signed. The knock on him was that he might not be big enough to play TE, he was pretty much a big wr at the time..... Man how that changed! By his senior year the guy was a tank!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

NewEra
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by NewEra » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:51 am

mslacatfan wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

To your point- I remember when salanoa was signed. The knock on him was that he might not be big enough to play TE, he was pretty much a big wr at the time..... Man how that changed! By his senior year the guy was a tank!
Imo sandland is gona play from day 1 and be an integral piece in the offense, and not just for blocking purposes. we have some great athletes rite now at the position..mite be one of our deepest positions.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:21 am

Think Gronk!!!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:49 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

He looked like a really good TE-Y prospect when he was younger, but the coaches never put him on the field in passing situations until after he had turned into Dwayne Carswell.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:55 pm

On thing with him gaining all that weight, he was a DEVASTATING blocker, when he hit someone, they moved.
He still moved pretty good and he had a great receiving year this year

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:31 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:On thing with him gaining all that weight, he was a DEVASTATING blocker, when he hit someone, they moved.

He averaged 25 yards per game, which is fine, but I wouldn't call it great. Nobody is adjusting their defensive gameplan to stop that. Overall, the TE position accounts for about one fifth of the players on the field on passing plays, but only accounted for one eighth of the receiving yardage. To me, the spot could be used better in that phase.

It's hard to argue with the running game the team has had, and I don't see any problem with the focus of the TE in the base offense being blocking. However, I would like to see the position being handled differently with respect to the passing game. One option is for Ash to recruit TE like it's two different positions. Bring in some guys who are flex-style hybrid TEs and others who are big-framed blockers straight out of high school, and then handle their coaching and weight training differently.

The other option would be to recruit the position the way he has been, but utilize the most athletic guy as the primary pass-catcher rather than the guy with the most experience, since as long as Ash has been coach, those two are almost never the same guy. To use Salanoa as an example, when he was recruited, he was a 220-pound flex TE prospect. He looked like Shannon Sharpe in his highlight film. I don't actually think he was Shannon Sharpe, but he was definitely the team's most athletic tight end for his first year or two on the team, but Ash didn't use him in long-yardage situations at that time. Now, he gets virtually all the team's TE targets, but now he's a 270-pound blocking TE. He moves well for a 270-pound blocking TE in the Big Sky, but he's still a 270-pound blocking TE. Austin Barth was the team's best athlete at tight end for the past two years, and he doesn't get used as a pass receiver.

What's funny is that the player bios for young, athletic TEs on the Bobcats site always talk about how they will be in the mix as pass catchers in obvious passing situations, but in reality, that never happens.

-Trent King, Playmakers

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:45 pm

One option is for Ash to recruit TE like it's two different positions. Bring in some guys who are flex-style hybrid TEs and others who are big-framed blockers straight out of high school, and then handle their coaching and weight training differently.
I agree with what you are saying about the TE position. But one could argue that we did the option you stated above. Woody Brandom is the flex-style hybrid TE and Robert Evans is the big-framed blocker. That is like their exact scouting profiles.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:19 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:On thing with him gaining all that weight, he was a DEVASTATING blocker, when he hit someone, they moved.

He averaged 25 yards per game, which is fine, but I wouldn't call it great. Nobody is adjusting their defensive gameplan to stop that. Overall, the TE position accounts for about one fifth of the players on the field on passing plays, but only accounted for one eighth of the receiving yardage. To me, the spot could be used better in that phase.

It's hard to argue with the running game the team has had, and I don't see any problem with the focus of the TE in the base offense being blocking. However, I would like to see the position being handled differently with respect to the passing game. One option is for Ash to recruit TE like it's two different positions. Bring in some guys who are flex-style hybrid TEs and others who are big-framed blockers straight out of high school, and then handle their coaching and weight training differently.

The other option would be to recruit the position the way he has been, but utilize the most athletic guy as the primary pass-catcher rather than the guy with the most experience, since as long as Ash has been coach, those two are almost never the same guy. To use Salanoa as an example, when he was recruited, he was a 220-pound flex TE prospect. He looked like Shannon Sharpe in his highlight film. I don't actually think he was Shannon Sharpe, but he was definitely the team's most athletic tight end for his first year or two on the team, but Ash didn't use him in long-yardage situations at that time. Now, he gets virtually all the team's TE targets, but now he's a 270-pound blocking TE. He moves well for a 270-pound blocking TE in the Big Sky, but he's still a 270-pound blocking TE. Austin Barth was the team's best athlete at tight end for the past two years, and he doesn't get used as a pass receiver.

What's funny is that the player bios for young, athletic TEs on the Bobcats site always talk about how they will be in the mix as pass catchers in obvious passing situations, but in reality, that never happens.
Maybe average per game salanoa didn't have a great year, but he came up huge when we needed him.

Otherwise I agree whole heartedly with everything you said. I've been saying for years we need to utilize our "athletic" TE's, and I can't for the life of me remember a TE getting over 4 catches a game (I'm sure there are some).

I'd love to see us use these guys as partial blockers but definitely to put them out in a passing down to create mismatches.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:26 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

Maybe average per game salanoa didn't have a great year, but he came up huge when we needed him.

Otherwise I agree whole heartedly with everything you said. I've been saying for years we need to utilize our "athletic" TE's, and I can't for the life of me remember a TE getting over 4 catches a game (I'm sure there are some).

I'd love to see us use these guys as partial blockers but definitely to put them out in a passing down to create mismatches.

The last one I can remember is Blake Wolf (I think that was his name), which goes way back to the early Kramer years.....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:37 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

The last one I can remember is Blake Wolf (I think that was his name), which goes way back to the early Kramer years.....
Ah the Lulay and Ryan Johnson years...still remember that McNeese State playoff game. First time I had ever seen the Cats play in the playoffs. Blake was a stud!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:24 am

bump

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:42 am

083190 wrote:Brayden Konkol 6'2" 195 SS/LB Belgrade, MT
Jake McFetridge 6'7" 290 OL Huntington Beach, CA
Mitchell Brott 6"7" 275 OL Billings, MT
Sam Plucker 6'2" 225 LB Kimberly, WI
Cameron Sutton 6'5" 195 WR Norco, CA
Byron Rollins 6"3" 230 DE Missoula, MT
Walker Cozzie 6'1" 220 LB Helena, MT
Bryan Wilkes 6'3" 252 OL Great Falls, MT
Marcus Ferriter 6'4" 220 DL Butte, MT
Riley Griffith 6'3" 250 DL Seattle, WA
Bryson McCabe 6'1" 200 S Iowa Western JC
Josh Hill 6'0" 200 LB Kalispell, MT
Kash Perry 6'8" 290 OL Geyser, MT
Joe Naotala 6'2" 270 DT Palomar JC
Chris Robinson 6'2" 250 DE Pasadena, CA
Zachary Stern 6'2" 200 LB Santa Monica JC
Woody Brandom 6'3" 220 TE Corona, CA
Jordan Hoy 6'1" 195 QB Rockwall, TX
Shiloh LaBoy 6'4" 250 DE College of the Redwoods JC
Sidney Holmes 5'11" 190 S Beaumont, TX
BJ Ojo 6'1" 215 LB Manvel, TX
Robert Evans 6'5" 246 TE Victorville, CA
Keon Stephens 6'2" 180 WR Etiwanda, CA
Tre'von Strong 6'1" 192 S Billings, MT
Logan Jones 5'9" 175 ATH Kalispell, MT
Brady McChesney 5'10" 170 QB Kalispell, MT

Transfer(s)
Desman Carter 6'2" 205 S UAB
Brandon Brown 5'10" 180 WR Baylor
Marcus Tappan 6'2" 235 LB Cincinnati
Jesse Clark 6'3" 245 DE LA Harbor College

Previous Commit(s)
Ben Folsom 6'1" 190 S Dillon, MT

Derek Marks 6'3" 220 TE/DE Belgrade, MT

Any word on how Clark is coming on his degree?

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:41 pm

Sanland was a true top FBS prospect. We were fortunate to get him. He is 6' 5" 275. He makes T look small. He is going to be a force and will be an integral part of our offense. He will be the next NFL player out of MSU. It is going to be fun watching him.
Last edited by bobcatbob on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:23 pm

bobcatbob wrote:Sanland was a true top FBS top prospect. We were fortunate to get him. He is 6' 5" 275. He makes T look small. He is going to be a force and will be an integral part of our offense. He will be the next NFL player out of MSU. It is going to be fun watching him.
That's no pressure.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm

allcat wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:Sanland was a true FBS top prospect. We were fortunate to get him. He is 6' 5" 275. He makes T look small. He is going to be a force and will be an integral part of our offense. He will be the next NFL player out of MSU. It is going to be fun watching him.
That's no pressure.
He will handle it no problem. He is going to dominate in the F C S. He is the real deal.

CatsandCanesNation
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatsandCanesNation » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:31 pm

Colter or anyone else in the know. Any update on grades of Jesse Clark or Keyyon Woods our 2 late additions? Thanks