2015 Commitment List

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2015 Commitment List

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Iowa Western JC standout safety Bryson McCabe commits to MSU
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
4thecats wrote:Recruiting question:
As Colter mentioned, we have 60ish offers out, and a lot of our top choices are undecided. . lets say this trend Continues for the sake of my question. What happens if the top recruits all want to pile on late in the process. . Does MSU pull offers from a lesser player to accept the late offer from their top choices wanting to join?
Pretty common practice at bigger schools. If the player doesn't develop like expected, or they just like somebody better, then coaches will sometimes just cease communication and the recruit takes the hint. Or they just tell him he won't play here, and try to find a different school for them.

It's risky, because it generally pisses the kids, their parents, teammates, and coaches off. If we did it to Daum for example, Arie Grey would probsbly never want to send a kid to Ash again.

Just one example of how difficult it can be to recruit HS kids and keep good relationships. Recruiting is hard...really hard.
At least four kids came on official visits during the big weekends last January who committed and were turned away.

It's the downside of technology and all the exposure. In years' past, people didn't know 90 % of the offers out there like you do now. Many times, teams offer the same scholarship to two players and when one commits, the other is out of luck. MSU did this with Shawn Johnson and EWU's Jordan Talley - recruited both hard and when Shawn committed, they pulled off Talley.
To follow up on what I wrote earlier, many schools tell recruits how many (insert position) they are going to recruit and how many players they've offered at that spot in a way to sort of pressure the kids into making a decision. Like right now, MSU has offered three quarterbacks, but they likely will only take one, MAYBE two but unlikely.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:39 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
As Colter mentioned, we have 60ish offers out, and a lot of our top choices are undecided. . lets say this trend Continues for the sake of my question. What happens if the top recruits all want to pile on late in the process. . Does MSU pull offers from a lesser player to accept the late offer from their top choices wanting to join?
Pretty common practice at bigger schools. If the player doesn't develop like expected, or they just like somebody better, then coaches will sometimes just cease communication and the recruit takes the hint. Or they just tell him he won't play here, and try to find a different school for them.

It's risky, because it generally pisses the kids, their parents, teammates, and coaches off. If we did it to Daum for example, Arie Grey would probsbly never want to send a kid to Ash again.

Just one example of how difficult it can be to recruit HS kids and keep good relationships. Recruiting is hard...really hard.
At least four kids came on official visits during the big weekends last January who committed and were turned away.

It's the downside of technology and all the exposure. In years' past, people didn't know 90 % of the offers out there like you do now. Many times, teams offer the same scholarship to two players and when one commits, the other is out of luck. MSU did this with Shawn Johnson and EWU's Jordan Talley - recruited both hard and when Shawn committed, they pulled off Talley.
To follow up on what I wrote earlier, many schools tell recruits how many (insert position) they are going to recruit and how many players they've offered at that spot in a way to sort of pressure the kids into making a decision. Like right now, MSU has offered three quarterbacks, but they likely will only take one, MAYBE two but unlikely.
Who are the quarterbacks? I'm more concerned about that position than any. I have a gut feeling Bleskin is gonna hang it up or transfer. We all saw how good DP was, but he couldn't even last one full year without getting hurt. We need a guy who can play right away if needed!
I only say Bleskin may hang it up because he will graduate in May won't he? I hope to god Bleskin stays because i don't think he would ever play another game like he did against the griz, we all know he is a better player than that.

If your left, you aren’t right.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Who are the quarterbacks? I'm more concerned about that position than any. I have a gut feeling Bleskin is gonna hang it up or transfer. We all saw how good DP was, but he couldn't even last one full year without getting hurt. We need a guy who can play right away if needed!
I only say Bleskin may hang it up because he will graduate in May won't he? I hope to god Bleskin stays because i don't think he would ever play another game like he did against the griz, we all know he is a better player than that.
recent article in the Tribune said that Bleskin already told the coaches he is coming back for his senior year.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Des Carter UAB Senior Strong Safety is going to be a Bobcat. \:D/

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:38 pm

It'd be pretty cool if we could get more UAB kids here. Rotten deal what happened to them.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:38 pm

bobcat99 wrote:It'd be pretty cool if we could get more UAB kids here. Rotten deal what happened to them.
Yeah would love to pick up some of the freshman and sophomores they had.

Crap deal for all of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:Des Carter UAB Senior Strong Safety is going to be a Bobcat. \:D/
Link?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:15 pm

catatac wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:Des Carter UAB Senior Strong Safety is going to be a Bobcat. \:D/
Link?
Colter tweeted it around noon today. He was on his official visit and he committed during.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:30 pm

Desman Carter, a 3 star safety from Fontana, CA, spent a season at Nevada, then went a JC for a year, then started at UAB last year.

Bio said one season at JC, one season at Nevada, and one season at UAB - can't figure out why he is a senior, unless he never redshirted anywhere.

UPDATE:

Looks like he redshirted at Nevada in 2011, took a year off, played at a JC in 2013 and then played at UAB last year.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:54 pm

I talked to Desmond when he was at the airport on his way back to Birmingham. We have an interview tonight around 8:30 so I'll have a story in the morning.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:45 pm

so it sounds like he will have 2 years left then...???

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:50 pm

mslacatfan wrote:so it sounds like he will have 2 years left then...???
Negative...he is a senior ... This will be his 1 and only hear at MSU.

BigBruceBaker

2015 Commitment List

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:56 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Negative...he is a senior ... This will be his 1 and only hear at MSU.
He will "hear" lots of cheers this year.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:24 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Negative...he is a senior ... This will be his 1 and only here at MSU.
He will "hear" lots of cheers this year.

....corrected....haha

feb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by feb » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:25 pm

He played high school ball for Blake Braun's grandfather at Kaiser.

feb

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:20 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:It'd be pretty cool if we could get more UAB kids here. Rotten deal what happened to them.
Yeah would love to pick up some of the freshman and sophomores they had.

Crap deal for all of them

I don't know if this is an NCAA rule or an individual institution decision, but in the past I recall schools have honored the balance of a players scholarship. If UAB goes this route they will be "buying out" scholies which will diminish by about 25 per year. The guys who decide to leave, transfer, or otherwise fail to adhere to the contract rules and are dismissed will ease the expense.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:30 pm

"Colter Nuanez ‏@Bobcat_Beat 5m5 minutes ago Bozeman, MT

CONFIRMED: Kalispell Glacier linebacker Josh Hill, a two-time AA all-state MLB, has committed to play for Montana State #Recruiting2015"

\:D/ :D

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:44 pm

VimSince03 wrote:"Colter Nuanez ‏@Bobcat_Beat 5m5 minutes ago Bozeman, MT

CONFIRMED: Kalispell Glacier linebacker Josh Hill, a two-time AA all-state MLB, has committed to play for Montana State #Recruiting2015"

\:D/ :D
=D^

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:48 pm

wow, just watched his highlights, that guy hits HARD!

FTG- GO CATS GO!